What's new

Seasoning new drawers in Wineador

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok--so any day now I will have 4 drawers and 2 shelves coming for my NewAir281 Wineador!

I went with beads for media and bought 1 lb loose heartfelt beads and 4 of the cigar shaped sticks (1 for each drawer) of beads.

I've read that the drawers (really all of the wood) needs to be seasoned before sticks are added. My plan (thinking logically--which my wife always says is a bad idea) is to switch my cooler over to beads and then move the cigar oasis excel to the Wineador to season the drawers. I went with beads because I read that in the well sealed closed system of a Wineador, 2-way humidification was a better idea than a one-way active system like the Excel that I have.

My thought process is that during the seasoning process active humidification won't hurt in the closed environment because I'll be humidifying dry wood and it'll soak up a lot of humidity. Also, impatience is a concern--I don't want to wait weeks using the wipe down approach or the shot glass of distilled water approach.

Of course distilled water will be used everywhere.

Any flaws in my thought process?

Thanks!

Ash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do not wipe down the drawers. It will cause the would to rise and give it a real rough feel. I made the mistake and had to sand my drawers. I then used plastic containers filled with distilled water. Don't rush it. If you have a place outside you can put the Wineadoir the the will speed things up. Still give it at least a week.

Bearclaw

The dude playin the dude disquised as another dude
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I agree, do not wipe down. Beads or KL work wonderfully in this size wineador. No need for active IMO.

Your plan sounds fine. I personally seasoned my drawers/Newair using KL, and only let it sit for a day or two before loading it up. My drawers may have arrived pre-moistened? ;) As long as you can maintain a reasonable humidity level, my opinion is that you're safe to load it up.

I spritzed my KL a few times a day as the RH dropped down (drawerswere absorbing water). When the KL needed less spritzing to maintain 60-65%, I loaded 'er up. I watched it closely for the next week and it only took a few tweaks to keep it steady.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I just put my cigars in the wineadors.
I then:
Add beads.
Spray water if humidity is not right.
Move on.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I say take your time and do it right.
If you rush it, you might not get enough moisture in the wood and it will draw it out of your cigars and constantly drain your media so you will be fighting to get it to stabilize. Another possibility is that with the active humidifcation, the cedar may get too much moisture too fast, and the drawers may warp, or be a place for mold to grow.
I don't know why everyone keeps wanting to try and reinvent the wheel all the time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my drawers and shelves in for my 281 about a week ago and they sat for a day in the house before I put them in. The humidity in the house was 50% or so because of the rain we have had. I had to send one drawer back because it was broken, but I just stuck the other three and the two shelves in, gave the kitty litter a few sprays, loaded cigars in, and watched it closely. I have not had to add anymore water, and I was at 66/66% still this morning. The cigar I grabbed out of there last night was fine and had not had the water sucked out of it. YMMV