What's new

Seasoning Wineador Shelves and Drawers

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Guys, I'm sure it has been asked before, but I'm curious at the best method to season Wineador shelves and drawers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thx..
KK33

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I would air it out and make sure there is no smell in the wineador. Put in your shelves and you have a few paths you could take. You could put in a few boveda 84hr packs that will speed the seasoning. You could also go with the shot glasses of distiller water and a couple of sponge so it speeds the humidifing process.

Plug it in and make sure your hygrometer has been properly calibrated so that you are getting a proper reading. I know there maybe other things I've missed.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Ok thanks. Here's what my situation is. Got about 80+ singles and a few boxes in there now with 2 lbs of Heartfelt beads. I will air out my Rubbamaid cooler and throw the boxes, singles and beads in there. Then put the shelves in Wineador with shot glasses and sponges of DW. But how long will it take for the drawers to get saturated to 68% RH? My beads are 70% but have been pretty steady in the Wineador without shelves at 67% on 2 calibrated hygrometers.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
put the shelves in Wineador with shot glasses and sponges of DW. But how long will it take for the drawers to get saturated to 68% RH?
This is what I plan on doing. From what I have read it can take up to a week or in some cases even longer for the shelves/drawers to fully season. Someone please correct me if this is not accurate.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
put the shelves in Wineador with shot glasses and sponges of DW. But how long will it take for the drawers to get saturated to 68% RH?
This is what I plan on doing. From what I have read it can take up to a week or in some cases even longer for the shelves/drawers to fully season. Someone please correct me if this is not accurate.
It all depends on the size of the wineador, the amount of shelves/drawers, amount of humidification you are using to season etc. As a generalization it will probably not take more than a week, but the best thing to do is to leave hygrometers in there so you can monitor the humidity, avoid a big humidity spike when you are finished seasoning due to all the excess humidity, and bring the humidity back down to your desired RH and stabilize it at that RH with your normal humidification before you put your cigars in.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Thanks guy. So should I stick with the DW or purchase 8 Boveda seasoning packs? I have a Newair 281.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
It is up to you really. But if you use the shot glasses and sponge it will save you some money. The other thing you need to remember is that you need to use a scent free sponge it needs to be a plain sponge that is all.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
King Kil I still get urge enough that you need to make sure that the sponge is scent free as using a sponge with any scent will settle into the cedar trays causing them to hold the smell just a FYI.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Scent free x 3!!! Now we're cookin with peanut oil. She's slowly coming up. Was at 49 RH when I closed the door, now it's at 56. Probably will let it get to 70 and remove 1 shot glass at a time. Figure it should level out nice that way. I have 12 shot glasses and 3 small sponges in there. The cooler is sitting at 68% right now so all is good in cigarland. Just watching DD in the garage smoking an Onyx. Life's great.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Put a shallow Tupperware half full with distilled water in each drawer, close, and leave alone for four days. Remove the Tupperware and put in your dry kitty litter or beads. Let sit for another three or four days,

Check hygrometer, I bet you're sitting right at 65%. Done.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Im seasoning a cabinet right now.. and just seasoned up several trays for my wineador a few months ago...

It was/is a pretty simple process for me... Spray and wipe down all surfaces with distilled water... throw them in the wineador/cabinet.. and wait 24 hours... repeat the process... then throw in KL and bovedas the next day... check it in 24 hours and see where you are at.. if youre high.. add some more KL.. if youre low (like I was), spray the KL a few times.. and then check again in 24 hours and repeat the process until you are at the desired RH...

it took a total of 3x days to get my wineador where it needed to be (pretty small one.. just a 12 bottle)... Im on day 4 with my cabinet right now at sitting at 68RH.. I added a little more dry KL this morning.. Im guessing Ill be pretty close to 65 within a few hours (but will wait 24)... and then will start putting in sticks...

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
I couldn't find an official Wineador picture thread, so I thought I'd post here since I started this one. As you can see, I'm not even close to capacity, but that will come with time once I find some more favorites. 2 giant thumbs up to Mr. Forrest Price on the woodwork. I couldn't be happier. Still looking for a nice decal for the front. I've got a Rolling Stones lips decal, but am contemplating personalizing it in that way. Without further adieu...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364616865.915713.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364616903.805147.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364616943.617763.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364616973.831655.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364617014.025377.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364617056.860120.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364617088.027986.jpg

For a newb just starting, I'm pretty excited about my stash so far. Am always looking for suggestions on new sticks to try. As you can see I like lanceros and mild-medium maduros. Some of the sticks I bought were based on comments I've read on this forum. You people have good taste!

Thx..
KK33

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That looks great brother! Getting mine from Forrest in this up coming week hopefully :bouncetau Always like to know the how to go about prepping. How long before you put sticks in there? :chat:

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Here's a picture of what I did.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364621822.310876.jpg

10 shot glasses on the bottom, 2 on top, 3 sponges and a couple small Tuppowear dishes all full of distiller water. Let her sit for about 24 hours until the humidity was 72ish, and then pulled them out, stuck my cigars and 70 RH beads in. My humidity sits around 66-67 RH all the time now. I thought that I might have took them out too soon, but it only dipped down to about 62 RH after I closed the door and was up to 67 in about half an hour. Now it only takes about 10 minutes to recover when I open the door to dig a stick out.

Might not be the right way, but it worked for me!

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
It might be to late for my advise, but Seriously the best way to season your drawers and shelves it to simply wipe them down with distilled water. Put them into the wine cooler and put your hydration method be it beads or Boveda packs into the cooler and let them sit. When the drawers dry wipe them down again. Repeat several times until you your humidity rebounds back normal. Put your sticks back into the drawers making sure the drawers are dry so not to ruin cigars. After that just let the beads, Boveda and cigars balance out the humidity. There isn't any need for sponges and shot glasses and seasoning packs. PM if you have any questions.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Yeah, I guess it is too late as I've had it like this for a week. I thought about doing it that way but I guess I never like putting water right on wood. I have heard many people say to do it both ways. It looks like its working the way it is right now. I might be 2-3% low on the humidity, but 67% is about where I want it anyways.

For what it's worth, I do appreciate the advice.

KK33