What's new

Seasoning Wineador Shelves and Drawers

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
@King Kill 33 Have you had any issues with the cooler draining. I'm in the process of seasoning my shelves now and lets just say that I've never been one to exercise patience. I'm less than 24 hours into the seasoning process and it feels like an eternity. Right now I just have 2 lbs of 65% HF beads from top to bottom. After reading this post I think I will add a few containers of DW in each shelf as well.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
No draining issue Willie. But I'd try and get the drawers seasoned before adding the beads. I just seasoned with cups and saucers of DW and let the wood in the drawers saturate to 75%ish, then remove the DW and set the beads in to try and bring it down under 70%. Add your sticks and it should settle out. Too, I do have electrical tape over my drain hole and have never had a moisture issue down there. I keep a set of beads down there that don't need refreshing as often as the top ones either.

Just reading a few of my posts above made me chuckle. That was my first experience with getting a wineador going. Good times..! Thx for asking!

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Just reading a few of my posts above made me chuckle. That was my first experience with getting a wineador going. Good times..! Thx for asking!
At first I was wondering what was going on and then I noticed that it was a bumped thread from a couple of years ago. Kind of a cool reminder that even a grizzled veteran like you was a newbie once upon a time. I'm sure there are more than a couple of threads from my newbie days buried somewhere in the ether as well. :happy:

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
@Rupe Please define "seasoned vet". I've been a member here for 10 years and I see guys that have been around for less than a year with 3x as many post as myself.
@King Kill 33 So I added some containers of DW. Are you suggesting I take the beads out and let the RH rise to 75% before adding the beads back in?

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
@Rupe Please define "seasoned vet". I've been a member here for 10 years and I see guys that have been around for less than a year with 3x as many post as myself.
@King Kill 33 So I added some containers of DW. Are you suggesting I take the beads out and let the RH rise to 75% before adding the beads back in?
That's what I would do. Just DW with no media of any kind. Let it get to 75% or so for a couple days. Then remove DW and add media. Wait till it settles to 70% or so for a couple days, then add sticks.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I've just put cigars and humidification media in and leave it. It balances itself out. At least it does for me.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
I guess it depends. Go the Sofc route if you feel the SC is humidified right now, if it isn't you could have a continuous battle on your hands as the SC comes up to the humidity you desire. Personally, I'd rather jack it up and let it come down but I live in Dryville USA.

Also, Thx for the grizzled vet comment @Rupe. It is fun to look back and reflect. But truth of the matter is, I'm a Newb at heart and still learn new stuff here everyday!

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I'd also leave a very small tray of water settled on each self for 24hrs. Then take out the water. Replace with cigars and Beads and be done. Go back a day later after cigars and beads are in and check the RH. Still a little low. Give er a couple more squirts of h2o to the beads. And congrats you old grizzled vet Doug!!!!!

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
@King Kill 33 Personally I like your idea of spiking it and bringing it down to stabilize. I took beads out as you suggested and will check the RH when I get home from the office tomorrow. I unplugged the cooler so the fan doesn't kick on and off. Thank you all for your input. I'm confident that my patience will pay off when its all said and done.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Cool man! Congrats on the new wineador. Who ever originally thought of these was a genius. Just glad I could pass on some knowledge that I gained from here..!

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Also, was funny to read that I was watching Duck Dynasty and smoking an Onyx Reserve and thought I was king of the world! My how times change. I know realize I am more of a court jester, at best...!

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
My hygros are reading top to bottom…74,72 and 70. Whats strange is that before I took the HF beads out the bottom shelf had a higher reading than the upper shelves.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've just put cigars and humidification media in and leave it. It balances itself out. At least it does for me.
I did the same, got my shelves stuck em in the drawers added bovedapacks and it stays steady no question. Now recently I'm expirimenting with shot glass of dw and less bovedas. Right now it's working great and it's been almost a month with a steady reading of 67% up top and 58-60% down below.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post on this site and I see this thread if fairly old but hopefully people are still reading the thread. I have a newair 181E and I'm trying to decide how many drawers and shelves to make for it. Do most guys just put individual cigars in the drawers and boxes on the shelves? I've never kept boxes in the past as I've always had smaller 100-150CT humidors. Anyone have reasons for keeping the boxes or reasons for storing in drawers? Is there any change in the air/moisture flow either way? Do most people just put HFB/KL on the bottom or do you put at all different levels of the humidor?

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
This is my first post on this site and I see this thread if fairly old but hopefully people are still reading the thread. I have a newair 180 anDd I'm trying to decide how many drawers and shelves to make for it. Do most guys just put individual cigars in the drawers and boxes on the shelves? I've never kept boxes in the past as I've always had smaller 100-150CT humidors. Anyone have reasons for keeping the boxes or reasons for storing in drawers? Is there any change in the air/moisture flow either way? Do most people just put HFB/KL on the bottom or do you put at all different levels of the humidor?

Thanks,
Rick
Rick it is great to see you joining us on the site.

Shoot over read the noob thread and an introduction thread just letting ppl know about you and your interests. Read up here...
http://www.botl.org/threads/botl-pre-study-package.53154/

As for your question I use KL that is spread throughout the entire humi. I have about 2 lbs spread in about 6 nylons. As for storage a lot of us will keep cigars in their boxes as it makes stacking and storage a lot easier. As for singles dedicate a drawer or 2 to them and that works out fine.

Last edited: