What's new

Seed to cigar: My journey to grow, harvest, ferment and roll my own cigars!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Not sure where to get seeds tho.
You can buy seeds online; I sprouted some a few years ago just to watch them grow, lots of them sprouted but they didn't survive transplanting... lemme know if you can't find them online, and I'll see if I can find any that I might have leftover for ya. Germination rate might be low since they're a few years old at this point, but you could probably still get a few plants from them

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sustainable Seed Company Has a variety of seeds you can order. They came in about a week. Theres about 100 seeds in each pouch. So definitely easy to get some to germinate.

Next year I want to plant a couple of tobacco plants simply to watch them grew. They are really interesting plants. Not sure where to get seeds tho. Only need 3 or 4 probably to get one or two plants.

Great project you have!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well it looks like all my Nitrogen, Phospherous and Potash are all on the lower side. Hmmm. Interesting since I have been using a tomato based fertilizer as tobacco and tomatoes share the same requirements for soil content.

I'd like to take a class from you a few years hence.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WatchmanUSA Thanks. I appreciate it!
Interesting journey, good luck and good learning.
@blisscigarco That's awful nice of you to say. I do hope that people will be able to use this thread for their own benefit of growing at home. Its definitely been a rewarding experience. These plants require a level of care that most people, unless you're an avid gardener or don't have the time, wont or cant put in. I have really learned this is a slow process. Aging and curing will be even slower I presume. As always Im always open to comments, concerns and questions.

For now though I am happy to just be among enthusiasts sharing an interest/passion in tobacco.
I'd like to take a class from you a few years hence.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little morning update! I huddled the plants together for a pretty big storm that was rolling through last night. Luckily there wasn't a significant level of wind. If its one thing Ive learned its that these plants are delicate yet strong at the same time. The stalks are definitely relatively strong but the juvenile leaves will tear or break and are susceptible to abrasions from other leaves or their own pots.

Anyway I came out to do a morning run through. Heres some pics!

Enemy of the state! Make sure you are checking your plants. Almost missed this little japanese beetle. They seem to love my tobacco and bean plants.

Some closer pictures of some of the leaves and their coloration.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I’m near Ft. Campbell, KY in south western KY. Your plants are looking great! We got a storm here last night too, my plants seemed to have done fine though.

Jody

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal. I was actually in Louisville yesterday. I think you're more towards the KY/TN boarder. Glad your plants are doing well!

I’m near Ft. Campbell, KY in south western KY. Your plants are looking great! We got a storm here last night too, my plants seemed to have done fine though.

Jody

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Yeah, about 30 miles from TN/KY state line. Really looking forward to see how your fermenting goes. The local farmers around here grow a shit ton of tobacco around here, there are hundreds of acres within a stones throw. There are four dark fire barns I can see from my front porch.

Jody

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE! Sorry guys been in Atlanta for work. Heres the crop as of this morning.

I do seem to have some seed pods showing up on three of the four main plants. The secondary plants are still growing.

I do think its a little early for the plants to be topping but this is my first batch of plants and Im still learning.

I did find a few small hornworms on my plants. I noticed small holes in some leaves. Turned them over and what do you know, these little guys were munching on my prime leaves! I removed them by hand and searched all the plants. Found about 10 spread throughout.

Plants starting to top out.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Something’s been eating at the leafs on my plants too but I can never find them when I look for them. After seeing those little critters on your plants I think I need to take another look. Those suckers blend right in.

Jody

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely look pretty close. I almost missed a few of these guys that blended in with some of the veins. Their giveaway is the black thorn on their hind end.

Something’s been eating at the leafs on my plants too but I can never find them when I look for them. After seeing those little critters on your plants I think I need to take another look. Those suckers blend right in.

Jody

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I assume you are aware that you should cut off the seed pods so that the plant does not use it's energy to develop seeds. This is called "topping". You can let one plant develop seeds if you want to harvest them but they're so cheap to buy I never bothered. You should also be cutting off the sucker growth. That is the secondary growth on the stem below each leaf.
I'm sure you know these things but I thought I'd mention it for the benefit of those following this thread.