What's new

Seed to cigar: My journey to grow, harvest, ferment and roll my own cigars!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the delay in updates. Jobs got my time all wrapped up. I did manage to get seeds from the pods. Ill have more seeds than I know what to do with!

I also am just monitoring the hanging of the leaves in the shed.

Earning monies for more cigars!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry everyone for the radio silence. Been slammed at work. Anyway heres an update. I pulled all the leaves out a month ago and theyve been sitting in my house waiting on me to find a fridge to hyper ferment them. I got about 50% of what I feel are "usable" leaves. I took A LOT of pictures of each leaf that I felt was either good or bad for examples for people reading this thread. If youre an OG in growing and fermenting let me know what you think about the leaves on what I can and cant use.

Heres what I got out of the crop of four plants after about 8 weeks in the shed:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUBAN 98.
I found a hornworm nestled up in one of the leaves rendering it useless.

Most leaves come out like this. Its got some spotting on the end. Is this something I can cut off and use the rest of the leaf?

A few came out like this with some leftover molding (at least thats what I call it lol)

This one is decent.

Is this leaf acceptable to use? It looks like some TEV after effects?

HABANO 2000:

Can I still use this one?

More molding :(

So I figured out why my secondary plants in the 5 gallon buckets were struggling. I didnt put the drain holes low enough for the water to drain out. When I pulled the plants out of the bucket to throw into the compost pile about an inch of water was settled in the bottom and the soil was sopping wet. Lesson learned! Make sure the drain holes are at the bottom. Mine were about an inch above the bottom of the bucket.
Heres a pic of the color difference in the leaves. The lighter ones are the ones with too much water.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres whats sorted. LEFT UNUSABLE. MIDDLE (Maybe okay for pipe tobacco). RIGHT USABLE (In my uneducated opinion).

Huge learning experience. I think next year Ill have a better idea of whats going on. That and I have a raised 15'x6' bed Im going to put plants in too.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
From my very limited experience growing tobacco, here's my 2 cents.
The black spots are not good but any dark brown or green spots are just uneven drying. The leaves are fine but they won't look great as a wrapper.
I've seen leaves with the little white raised specks all over them like you have. It looks like it could be insect eggs but I don't think it is. I don't know what it is but if you find out please let us know.
The white leaves from the plants that were too wet is fascinating. I would try using it to see what it's like.
Once you've completed your fermenting I would suggest you ziplock all the leaves and freeze them to remove any risk of beetles.
Keep us posted.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Hope you guys had a great Christmas and New Year! Im still here. Just been slammed at work(s)!

I did manage to snag an old fridge to turn into a fermenter. Ill remove the shelving I dont need and drill holes for the fans and other items. You can see it next to my most important fridge. The beer fridge.

I did start a new batch of monsters. I started them now because I know they take a little bit to get bigger and I want them large enough to transplant outside after the last frost. That will also leave me enough time to hang them in the shad.

Few shots from my desk.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want seeds form this particular plant so I didnt top it. All of the other plants were topped. I didnt bag it since its the only plant I plan to get seeds from.
Do you need a male and female plant to pollinate, or will tobacco plants pollinate themselves?