What's new

Share your shave oil/beard oil recipe

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here's mine and, yes, it works equally well as a pre-shave oil and a beard oil:

2 parts castor oil
1 part jojoba oil
1 part olive oil (extra virgin - the stuff made from the really ugly olives)
equal amounts of cedarwood and jasmine essential oils.

Initially, I only used the castor and olive oils but I found it too thick, so I started cutting it with the jojoba oil. Now it's a nice consistency.

Usually, when I make it, I make about 2 ounces and store it in a dark glass bottle to protect it from light. For that amount, 1 "part" is a tablespoon. So four tablespoons of oil in total and about eight or nine drops of each essential oil.

But, do some research on the different essential oils because different skin types will benefit from different ones. And don't go cheap on the essential oils. Pay more for quality stuff and you'll find you use less and, in the long run, is cheaper.
Great, thanks for the info and recipe. And great point about the essential oils for skin types. The article link I have on my post touches on what a few different oils do for your skin.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I found this crash course over at Art of Manliness:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/09/09/diy-beard-oil/
If you've never been to the page, check it out, there's all kinds of great information and ideas!
Thnaks Clint. I read this one awhile back and I tried to put link in my first post but it wasnt liking it. Anyone that wants to use beard oil should read this and try it out. Its how I got started using beard oil

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...

Well, just what I needed, another hobby.
I'm most of the way through the bottle of Proraso oil, and I can say I'm a fan. The 2 Bits Man sample just showed up, and I haven't tried any others, but I still decided to jump in with both feet and try mixing my own as well! Got some eucalyptus to try for a refreshing morning scent, and the lavender for the evenings hoping mama will appreciate something calming at bedtime. And there's some dropper bottles and a handful of other oils en route for mixing. Guess I'll just start trying different recipes people post! Maybe after I get a feel for what works I can put together bottles for others that want to try something without investing in materials themselves...
Oh, and good call on the boar bristle brush. Works wonders and feels good to boot. Highly recommended!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looks great! I cant wait to see what you think of them. I have some coconut, jojoba, peppermint, lemon and tea tree oil (well most of those Tiff had already). Maybe if a few guys want set up a trade or pass to see what we like. Is the boar bristle brush the one in the photo? And are you using it to brush the beard?

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Is the boar bristle brush the one in the photo? And are you using it to brush the beard?
Yeah, to help distribute the oils better. When looking I found "soft", "firm" and "reinforced". The black handle one above is "soft" and it does just fine for me.
I wanted to order one of the oval shaped "military" style (below) with a wood base and no extra handle, but just ended up getting whatever they had at the local store instead of waiting on an online order.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Great, another rabbit hole to fall into. Between cigars, pipes, my attempt at woodworking, and homebrewing (which has a giant black hole to suck you in at a high rate of speed) and now this! :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything else aside, that page is perfect. I was just hoping for a collection of recipes from our BOTL here.
I don't know about the brothers with beards as I am not one of them, and I have never tried to make my own but I am a straight razor shaver, and I have bought a series of different shave oils in the day. That Proraso isn't bad, but my favorite to date is the Art of Shaving (AoS) Sandalwood. I know that AoS gets a bad wrap for being bought out by Gillette and generally being a bit overpriced, but they do Sandalwood right if you like the tamer Sandalwoods ... and I do :).

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well I did like a simple one I made with coconut and peppermint oil. I also tried it with some jojoba oil and that kept it from solidifying so much during the winter months ( we keep our house cool)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/12/03/diy-holiday-beard-oil/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheArtOfManliness+(The+Art+of+Manliness)
Here's some more recipes from a recent Art of Manliness posting:

Winter Jack-Inspired Beard Oil
Putting alcohol into your beard will dry your hair and skin out, so you don’t want to douse your chin sweater with Winter Jack directly. Instead, apply this moisturizing beard oil with a scent inspired by the tasty combination of whiskey and apple cider liqueur. The orange and vanilla mimic the sweetness of the alcohol, the cinnamon gives it a cider-y edge, and the sandalwood is just a great masculine scent that has a little bit of sweetness to it to give this blend an almost whiskey-like smell.

1oz carrier oil of choice 2 drops cinnamon cassia 10 drops sandalwood 3 drops orange 2 drops vanilla

Christmas Tree Beard Oil
This scent is earthy, but with a touch of minty freshness as well. This may be my personal favorite.

1oz carrier oil of choice 7 drops cedarwood 7 drops sandalwood 3 drops tea tree

Candy Cane Beard Oil
This is sweet smelling, and sweet feeling. Your loved ones will be nuzzling up to your face all the day long, thinking you’ve been rubbing candy canes on your cheeks.

1oz carrier oil of choice 10 drops peppermint 2 drops orange 2 drops cinnamon

Deep in the Wood Beard Oil
This bad boy is deeply earthy, with just a hint of sweetness. It’s probably the most polarizing. You’ll either love it or think it smells a little too much like a forest.

1oz carrier oil of choice 15 drops cedarwood 6 drops vanilla

Holiday Cheer Beard Oil
This oil doesn’t necessarily have an overarching theme like the others, but it smells dang pleasant. The aromas combine to create a joyful and festive scent that is sure to win everyone over.

1oz carrier oil of choice 10 drops sandalwood 5 drops tea tree 2 drops orange