What's new

Shilala HCM vs. HF beads

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Alright, I've seen a few mentions of Shilala HCM beads but not a whole lot actually describing what they are? I have done a bit of Googling and nothing really came up other than the endless bickering of which is better (HCM or HF). But it's really sparked my curiosity. I've got 2 lbs of the 65% HF beads, which I love and really wouldn't trade them in for the world.

I'd just like some other brothers' opinions who have maybe tried both or some pro/cons of the HCM. And if they're not silica, what in the world are they made of??

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did you email them? I have a heartfelt/exquisicat blend and it holds solid at 65 so no experience with HCM. I believe the shilala product is a clay dessicant.

We use the same type of humidity control 'pillows' when preserving turbine engine assemblies, but then pump the containers with nitrogen eliminating the chance of corrosion. If they are dry, the pillows will suck up all humidity, but when charged will regulate it.

IIRC, moist clay used to be a humidification media for some folks, but feel free to correct me on that one.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I didn't even think of e-mailing directly, but now I have done that as well. Thanks.

I did see that it's made from clay, but then I also saw that it's NOT silica, like HF. I was under the impression that silica was naturally found in sand, and sense clay is composed of highly weathered silicates (sand), wouldn't clay also be a silicate?

Please correct me if I'm wrong lol

TheDudeAbides

I got an awesome sound...
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I've been using Shilala Beads for several months now, and they've held a rock solid 65% in my Edgestar, with no maintenance whatsoever. As a certifiable lazy bastard, anything promising little or no maintenance is a win for me. Plus, Mike at HCM is a heck of a good guy, a real BOTL, and I have no doubt that if a problem ever arose he would stand behind his product.
-Dude
{Not an HCM rep, just a satisfied customer}

p.s. They are made of clay...... Really awsome clay.

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Haven't heard any bad things about either product. I use HF and other Siilica beads, sort of testing and comparing the cheaper vs. the standard.

I take that back, I do know someone had sillica beads stain their sink - other than that...

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I had kitty litter in my vinos and changed them out for HCM, been rock solid for awhile now. I used to have HF beads in my desktop and had to keep an eye on them all the time. I won't buy HF again. To me the kitty litter was better than the HF.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
HF Beads are the cats meow but Shilala beads are bees knees. Hopes this helps........ Both are good but for a little more money sounds like the Shilala keep the same rh longer and react faster when the humi is open.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I had kitty litter in my vinos and changed them out for HCM, been rock solid for awhile now. I used to have HF beads in my desktop and had to keep an eye on them all the time. I won't buy HF again. To me the kitty litter was better than the HF.
Have one pound of HF in 2 dif brands of vinos. One for boxes and one with 6 Chasidors. Both go 5-6 months w out moving a % of RH. Each there own.:peace:

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Have one pound of HF in 2 dif brands of vinos. One for boxes and one with 6 Chasidors. Both go 5-6 months w out moving a % of RH. Each there own.:peace:
This is my experience with HF beads as well, and I'm sure the same can be expected from the HCM beads. I guess I'm just curious as to what they're made of .... :dunno:

Thanks, brothers, for the replies so far .... love this place!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my observation...I have 1 lb of HF beads and 7 HF bead tubes in an 18 count thermo-electric wine cooler. From the beginning of June until mid-September I went through a gallon of DW keeping the beads "charged". Since mid-Sept my RH has been solid at 65% and I haven't added a drop of DW. Not sure what's changed since it's a sealed enviroment. I have 250+ sticks in the cooler that were in a 300 count humi prior to buying the cooler. RH in the humi was always between 70-72%. Not sure what the deal was over the summer, unless it had something to do with the AC running in the house. I can't imagine that had anything to do with it though. The RH in my basement (where the wine cooler is) is less now than it has been since June. I was on the brink of dumping the HF beads and ordering some HCM, but now I'm not so sure about doing that.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Here's my observation...I have 1 lb of HF beads and 7 HF bead tubes in an 18 count thermo-electric wine cooler. From the beginning of June until mid-September I went through a gallon of DW keeping the beads "charged". Since mid-Sept my RH has been solid at 65% and I haven't added a drop of DW. Not sure what's changed since it's a sealed enviroment. I have 250+ sticks in the cooler that were in a 300 count humi prior to buying the cooler. RH in the humi was always between 70-72%. Not sure what the deal was over the summer, unless it had something to do with the AC running in the house. I can't imagine that had anything to do with it though. The RH in my basement (where the wine cooler is) is less now than it has been since June. I was on the brink of dumping the HF beads and ordering some HCM, but now I'm not so sure about doing that.
Imo you either have a leaky wine cooler or something else is wrong. You have a wine cooler that is half the volume of a 28 bottle (Which requires only half a pound per there site) Your using 1lbs 7oz of beads something is terribly wrong. I haven't used more then 10 oz in a spray bottle/year let alone 128Oz.
You may want to check for leaks.
Edit: even if the cigars were dry and then "leveled out" after soaking up the humidity. A gallon?

rduke10

AKA Dookie
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I only have experience with the HF beads. I have a pound in a 28 bottle edgestar. I have not had to add any water in over a month (just got it a little over a month ago) and once I sealed the leaks I had it has held 65% on the nose. It doesn't take long to restore the 65% when I go into it so I am a believer in HF beads. Just my .02.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo you either have a leaky wine cooler or something else is wrong. You have a wine cooler that is half the volume of a 28 bottle (Which requires only half a pound per there site) Your using 1lbs 7oz of beads something is terribly wrong. I haven't used more then 10 oz in a spray bottle/year let alone 128Oz.
You may want to check for leaks.
Edit: even if the cigars were dry and then "leveled out" after soaking up the humidity. A gallon?

I would agree that something was off, but I'm not sure what it was. I say "was" because for the last monht, I haven't had to touch a thing. Prior to that the beads went from clear to white within 3 or 4 days. I was a little shocked by that, and was just about ready to go a different route when things stablized.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dude,

How much weight in Shilala Beads do you keep in your Edgestar? I was told one 8 oz. tube would be enough for my Edgestar, but it is clearly not enough. I don't know if I should go with 1 pound, or 2 lbs.

Thanks,
Keith

I've been using Shilala Beads for several months now, and they've held a rock solid 65% in my Edgestar, with no maintenance whatsoever. As a certifiable lazy bastard, anything promising little or no maintenance is a win for me. Plus, Mike at HCM is a heck of a good guy, a real BOTL, and I have no doubt that if a problem ever arose he would stand behind his product.
-Dude
{Not an HCM rep, just a satisfied customer}

p.s. They are made of clay...... Really awsome clay.

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Dude,

How much weight in Shilala Beads do you keep in your Edgestar? I was told one 8 oz. tube would be enough for my Edgestar, but it is clearly not enough. I don't know if I should go with 1 pound, or 2 lbs.

Thanks,
Keith
I've just ordered 2lb of Shilala for my wine cooler. I don't want to go through the hassle of not buying enough since I'm in Australia.
I don't know the capacity, but it's 600mm in height and 400mm wide and 400mm deep.
These should be arriving in a couple of weeks.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
did you ever get these HAssan? How do you like em so far?

not that I don't trust 25, as I already have the order form filled out.

Last edited: