What's new

Shilala HCM vs. HF beads

dued

Cigars, Coffee, Salsa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to throw some variety in the mix - I'm using Cigar Mechanic beads and they've been working great. I believe that this stuff is all the same, just a different brand name.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Just to throw some variety in the mix - I'm using Cigar Mechanic beads and they've been working great. I believe that this stuff is all the same, just a different brand name.

CM are like heartfelt, at least the ones I have act, look, and for every purpose I can tell, are.

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
did you ever get these HAssan? How do you like em so far?

not that I don't trust 25, as I already have the order form filled out.
HF beads are the Mercedes Benz of humidification.
HCM beads are the Bently/Rolls Royce of humidification.

The beads are excellent, though I still have an issue with condensation run-off.
I leave a fan running 24/7 blowing at the catchment tray just to keep the moisture distribute somewhat.

I left the HF in the humidor with my CCs and keep the humidor in the wine fridge entirely. Thought I'd like micro-manage the good stogies :stretchgr

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Heartfelt is the old standby. These are the beads that started it all (Climmax beads). grade of silica gel that is intended to be used at humidity levels that we use for cigars. Combine this excellent quality bead with a scientifically proven salt solution, and you have a great product.

I have never used the HCM beads, but again, I do know a lot about them. What you have is a different media than the Heartfelt beads. Not saying better or worse, but different. It is not salt treated, but conditioned. Thats what makes the 2 products very different.

now, regarding the other product, in my opinion, its a joke. these are nothing different than the guys on ebay who repackage kitty litter and claim "its just like the more expensive beads. You guys have enough experience to know that there is a little bit of knowlege you need to use the good stuff correctly. you know that Heartfelt beads need a certain % of water, it you overfill, the bead has no room to absorb excess water. in the case of HCM, you cant add water directly, you must recondition. check out the instructions on the other brand, and let me know if those instructions are written by somebody who really knows how a bead works.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I just bought some Heartfelt, but thats just because I prefer my stogies to be kept at 70%. The Shilala seemed like a pain in the ass to raise their humidity.
......I was thinking the same thing. So I'm going with a couple on lbs of heartfelt beads.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
......I was thinking the same thing. So I'm going with a couple on lbs of heartfelt beads.
You can order your HCM beads to whatever RH you prefer. He will set them to 70 before sending them to you, if you wish.

Just sayin.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
You can order your HCM beads to whatever RH you prefer. He will set them to 70 before sending them to you, if you wish.

Just sayin.
But it costs to do that. $10 per % point. I was going to drop to 62% but it was an extra $30. I figure 65% will do just fine.

I have 3, 8 oz bags shipping today. Definitely excited

So far the customer service is great. I had a few questions and David emailed me back promptly, as well as made sure my order shipped same day.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

Just sayin.
But it costs to do that. $10 per % point. I was going to drop to 62% but it was an extra $30. I figure 65% will do just fine.
I looked on the site and couldn't find any mention of a charge for changing the RH. Did you get that info from the owner?

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
It's on the Order tab. Near the bottom of that page it says "Adjustments to RH (per point)
$10" and it shows a dropdown that says 65. If you click 62 it adds $30 to your total.

I hadn't realized he charged for that, I had just noticed the option to change the RH when I ordered my beads.

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I have 3, 8 oz bags shipping today. Definitely excited

So far the customer service is great. I had a few questions and David emailed me back promptly, as well as made sure my order shipped same day.
You are going to love these. I got mine about a week ago after my humidor fiasco, and I have to say these things are killer. I was previously using a lb and a half of the HF beads and liked them a lot, but the RH bounced a round a little (very little). With the HCM, its rock steady. I will be recommending these from now on (after a few more months to see if they hold up).

From what I can tell, the HCM will last longer than the HF because the HF do degrade over time. Oh and I'm using a half pound less of the HCM with the same (if not better) results.

For those that think these are a pain to maintain, they are not. Simply add a sponge with water, or a pan of water, and the HCM beads will be back in no time. Easier to maintain than the HF IMO. So far I am loving these, but I need more time to fully form an opinion (though as you can see I'm loving them).

Still a big fan of the HF beads (I'm keeping the pound and 1/2 I have in case I outgrow the current setup, which is a 12 bottle Haier wine cooler). It just seems like the HCM are working better for me at the moment.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It's on the Order tab. Near the bottom of that page it says "Adjustments to RH (per point)
$10" and it shows a dropdown that says 65. If you click 62 it adds $30 to your total.

I hadn't realized he charged for that, I had just noticed the option to change the RH when I ordered my beads.
It is true that I charge $10 per point to change the RH. It's simply covering my labor to make the change as all my conditioning coolers are set for 65%. It's also something anyone can do themselves with a little time, a ziplock bag or tupperware container, calibrated hygrometer, and a sponge dampened with distilled water.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Dude,

How much weight in Shilala Beads do you keep in your Edgestar? I was told one 8 oz. tube would be enough for my Edgestar, but it is clearly not enough. I don't know if I should go with 1 pound, or 2 lbs.

Thanks,
Keith
I would think you need a pound in there. These would be way more popular if they weren't so expensive. I'm still pretty dang excited.

waffle

who doesn't love waffles!
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
To be fair there are also directions on how to exactly change the RH of the beads... I believe it would take a few days, but if you wanna save the 30 bones, you could do it yourself ;)

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
To be fair there are also directions on how to exactly change the RH of the beads... I believe it would take a few days, but if you wanna save the 30 bones, you could do it yourself ;)
Yes, you're right. It'll come with care instructions detailing the do's, dont's and how to.
I raised the RH myself by following the instructions exactly. Left the 2lb of beads in a closed tupperware with a bowl of distilled water and sponge for 2 days.
Ended up with an RH of 69%. Perfect :)

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Yep, that's the plan but.....

Yes, you're right. It'll come with care instructions detailing the do's, dont's and how to.
I raised the RH myself by following the instructions exactly. Left the 2lb of beads in a closed tupperware with a bowl of distilled water and sponge for 2 days.
Ended up with an RH of 69%. Perfect :)
I will be going lower and not higher, probly 62% or so, we'll see how they do.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yep, that's the plan but.....I will be going lower and not higher, probly 62% or so, we'll see how they do.
Lowering the RH takes a little more care. Place the beads in a ziplock with a calibrated hygrometer. Place the open ziplock in the refrigerator for an hour. After an hour immediately** close the bag and take it out of the refrigerator and let the bag and beads come up to room temperature. Check the RH and repeat as needed.

**Note: if you do not immediately close the bag, the difference in temperature between the beads and the ambient air will cause the beads to draw in more moisture -- raising rather than reducing the RH.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Dave, one thing I forgot to mention the other day on the phone, with heartfelt my humidity swings were sometimes drastic in a couple weeks if I didnt check up on them (usually during the heating season) usually 5-10% in either direction of my set point. The Shilala beads on the other hand, in extreme situations, have only changed maybe 1-2%. I am not afraid of leaving these beads unchecked for months at a time, that makes the price difference worth it to me.

CigarNut,
I think I may be your biggest supporter over here! Check through some of my posts w/ shilala in them. Free Advertising!! :) That being said, I may possibly need to order about a lb for my 120 ct cooler........ :hysterica

Welcome to BOTL, you have a great product :thumbsup: