What's new

Show/List your latest CC Purchase

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Interesting... I've heard the exact opposite from a fair number of folks whose opinions I trust.
Yup.

I don't buy into the whole "better do it this way" ethic too much anymore. There really is WAY TOO many armchair scientists out there...and I'm not busting anyone's balls and not trying too either. Yeah, some differences because the wood was a living thing and has the whole memory thing going for it where it should breath and do what it's cells are programmed for but cardboard is pretty neutral. It might start imparting bleach flavors after a while....

Unless someone can actually do a vertical taste test of 10 y/o cigars from the cardboard packs and dress cab kept in identical conditions and prove that there is a major and significant difference in the taste I'll just keep it the way it comes.

Cello on, tubes closed, in cardboard, dressbox or cabinet.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I don't have enough experience to voice an opinion on the ageing potential of the different forms of packaging but I know I had 2 cigars in cardboard and they went mouldy quite quickly. As for cello it holds the ammonia stink in very well so for me it's naked singles all the way

mk05

It is what it is
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Enlighten me as to what flavors paper imparts on a cigar please. What is this material that dress boxes are made of? Plywood covered with, yup, you guessed it, paper.

I will say that the difference is no difference if we are talking about age < 10yrs. After that, yea there is a negligible difference. I will submit that cedar is a very aromatic wood. It can and does impart an aroma after a long time - but that's the cedar aroma that you are adding. Paper does not have a taste. You are smoking what that tobacco is and has become on its own.

HSA does sell cabs and cedar lined tubos with the intent for long term storage. There is a difference between the 3/5 packs and cabs, but that's after a long time >10yrs, and the difference is marginal if you are storing the cigars properly. Most are not looking to keep sticks for decades and therefore the issue is mute.

Cello on / cello off!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend a lot of money on cigars so any and all advice on proper storage is greatly appreciated. This particular lot of Monte's I did get a good deal on. I think they were dated March of 2011 so they will going away into the vault for at least 12-18 months. It does make sense so I have removed from the cardboard and the cello.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
All I know is when the vintage auctions pop up all the cigars are in the original packaging...be it cardboard packs of 5 or tubes or dressbox or cabinet. If there was a problem with it don't you think they would be near give away prices?

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Enlighten me as to what flavors paper imparts on a cigar please. What is this material that dress boxes are made of? Plywood covered with, yup, you guessed it, paper.

I will say that the difference is no difference if we are talking about age < 10yrs. After that, yea there is a negligible difference. I will submit that cedar is a very aromatic wood. It can and does impart an aroma after a long time - but that's the cedar aroma that you are adding. Paper does not have a taste. You are smoking what that tobacco is and has become on its own.

HSA does sell cabs and cedar lined tubos with the intent for long term storage. There is a difference between the 3/5 packs and cabs, but that's after a long time >10yrs, and the difference is marginal if you are storing the cigars properly. Most are not looking to keep sticks for decades and therefore the issue is mute.

Cello on / cello off!
Completey agree here. We have had some fantastic cigars go through the shop that got aged buy the distributors by accident. In Canada even 3 packs of cigars are expensive so most shops buy boxes to sell as singles. As a result many 3 and 5 packs get well aged. We had a great run of 03 HdM Petite Robo's and DC's in cardboard. Would they have been better in a cabinet? Probably but they were still fantastic smokes

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Nice. I grabbed a 10er of those from 09 last year and they've smoked wonderfully.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
While on the subject of Hoyos... a nice cab from 03 for a split with someone..

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Nice choice of the Boli jar Mike! I think you are getting too many jars... now you can sell me one of your LGC jars. :) LOL

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
'09 Cab of 50

oh wow !!! Nice pick up, I am down to my last 2 of those, and they have to be one of the better smokes right now. Congrats on your "delivery", that little one must have had decent weight to it heh. I bet someone was sweating while waiting for pass through customs...