What's new

Show/List your latest CC Purchase

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
New air is anything but optimal for aging. Some people will say the opposit but you will not find a collector that agrees with them. I check my long time aging cigar one every 2 years, just open the box and have a look. But the Jars, they will not be opened untill I am going to smoke them and that will be in years!
Is this only true for long-term aging? What's the cut-off period? Is humidity an issue when you seal them up like that (I assume no new moisture gets in through 2x ziplocks)?

I've heard this concept before in passing, but never got the specifics.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Oxygen (fresh air exchange) speeds the aging process. I you really want to age them long term (so yes, mainly long term only) the less they interact with fresh air the better. This is why you hear people argue that Tunis should not be opened and stored with the caps open. Storing them in the open in the short term will speed up the aging process which might be good to some degree but will likely reduce their overall aging potential.

So long as the humidity is correct to begin with, ziplocking them won't cause any issues in that department.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Oxygen (fresh air exchange) speeds the aging process. I you really want to age them long term (so yes, mainly long term only) the less they interact with fresh air the better. This is why you hear people argue that Tunis should not be opened and stored with the caps open. Storing them in the open in the short term will speed up the aging process which might be good to some degree but will likely reduce their overall aging potential.

So long as the humidity is correct to begin with, ziplocking them won't cause any issues in that department.
But IMO and my opinion only it doesn't matter (bag treatment to cabs). Unless your going to the factory and picking up new boxes. Most boxes in Havana now days see 1-2 years of shelf aging before your able to "seal em up" they've already had plenty of time to "interact with fresh air" I would think keeping them sealed in the Slbs would be sufficient, no? Also it would be a sob if 8 years later you never checked on a box (even just once a year) and then and only then take it out of the double bags just to find out it has been hit by mold of beetles.....

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
Ben, how are those ERDM Choixs? Never had one and was thinking of getting some, but never ventured down the El Rey line yet.

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Ben, how are those ERDM Choixs? Never had one and was thinking of getting some, but never ventured down the El Rey line yet.
I will try them as soon as I get the chanse, took a couple out to check construction, very good. Remind me in a week or two and I will smoke one and let you know.