What's new

Show Me Your Home Bar

FireDoc83

Cigar Assassin
Rating - 98.5%
108   1   0
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLi1AD8Uyrg"]IMG_0333.MOV - YouTube[/ame]

Pardon the terrible narration and awful video from my iPhone 3. This is my first video to youtube also so hopefully this works. Work with me here I am also trying to get use to this new IMac.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
No... Firedoc is modest

"I have a nice little collection of... Things" :rofl: :hysterica

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Did I detect a little slurrrr in that video..... Very nice Matt. Looking forward to hanging out down there.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Haha, yeah, noticed a little slur to start off there too. Well, it was an empty glass of Balvenie anyways....

Great bar there!!! Something like that as a compliment to the wine cellar is EXACTLY what I'm looking to have in my next place.

Jealous of the Ron Jeremy rum, haven't got my hands on a bottle yet. Any good??

FireDoc83

Cigar Assassin
Rating - 98.5%
108   1   0
Did I detect a little slurrrr in that video..... Very nice Matt. Looking forward to hanging out down there.
:hysterica I was laughing so hard watching that video thinking the same thing and about to post that same observation before I noticed you already did. :hysterica
Haha, yeah, noticed a little slur to start off there too. Well, it was an empty glass of Balvenie anyways....

Great bar there!!! Something like that as a compliment to the wine cellar is EXACTLY what I'm looking to have in my next place.

Jealous of the Ron Jeremy rum, haven't got my hands on a bottle yet. Any good??

Hey, I just got off a 36 hour shift, got home so the wife could go out, put the kids to bed. Now it is MY time... :bottle:

The Ron Jeremy Rum is more like a Brandy, pretty heavy but good

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have to agree there are some wonderful set ups here for sure, but I'd REALLY like to have something similar to what Kilowhiskey has. I saw pictures of his lounge some time ago, every time since I always think to my self "someday"
Ahhh, a man of impeccable taste and refinement :ccool: Thanks, Redbaron!

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
It looks like some of you store your liquor on the side, I thought liquor and beer were supposed to be upright and wine on it's side?

Best regards, tony
It doesn't matter how liquor is stored. Beer also doesn't really matter either. Non-sparkling wines need to be stored on their side so the corks don't dry out. Sparkling wine is said to be able to be stored upright but I don't get the point. I heard some "know it all" say that the CO2 in the head space of the bottle prevents the cork from drying out. I store them on the side because I have a rack. Corked beer I store on it's side a lot too. One of the producers of traditional lambic conditions all his bottles on their side.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It doesn't matter how liquor is stored. Beer also doesn't really matter either. Non-sparkling wines need to be stored on their side so the corks don't dry out. Sparkling wine is said to be able to be stored upright but I don't get the point. I heard some "know it all" say that the CO2 in the head space of the bottle prevents the cork from drying out. I store them on the side because I have a rack. Corked beer I store on it's side a lot too. One of the producers of traditional lambic conditions all his bottles on their side.
Preeeetttyy much. Sparklings or champagne for LONG term aging is suggested to be stored upright because prolonged contact will cause the corks to soften and this allow the cork to breathe too much, causing accelerated oxidation and aging. Caged sparkling corks are a little different than a normal cork, or synthetic cork, they need to stay drier and stiffer to keep a firm seal.

That being said, very few people age sparklings or champagnes long enough for the orientation of the bottle to matter much, it at all.

On a note of enclosures though, ideally, I'd love to see all wines go to the screw top format. Best enclosure out there to ensure a proper seal for aging in a predictable time period window.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Well, times have changed for me in the past two years. In college, this was our house's pride and joy. The bar is actually very well constructed, has a finished edge, smooth lacquer top, "L" shaped bar, mini fridge underneath, and a mounted bottle opener:

Post-college, here's my setup next to my cigars:

Palmettoguy

42-28'48'' N
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
It looks like some of you store your liquor on the side, I thought liquor and beer were supposed to be upright and wine on it's side?

Best regards, tony
I store mine on their side as most of my bottles of rum have corks. Over time the cork will dry out and allow the alcohol to evaporate if they are left standing...

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I store mine on their side as most of my bottles of rum have corks. Over time the cork will dry out and allow the alcohol to evaporate if they are left standing...
The high level of alcohol in the bottle will eat the glue around the cork and can ruin your spirit. Having liquor retail experience, it happens quite a bit in shipping and otherwise, but is (or can be) caught when the bottles are shelved.

I'd strongly suggest storing them upright.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The high level of alcohol in the bottle will eat the glue around the cork and can ruin your spirit. Having liquor retail experience, it happens quite a bit in shipping and otherwise, but is (or can be) caught when the bottles are shelved.

I'd strongly suggest storing them upright.
This goes along with what I have heard as well from some of the bourbon forums which is why I was asking the question. I think I will stick with keeping my liquor standing up and my wine laying down.

Best regards, tony