What's new

Show us your latest beverage purchase

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Chayse, what's this "bourboned out" you speak of. My GF would like to get me there. ;) :LOL:
Closest I've come so far is drinking 120+ proof in direct 100 degree heat. In which case the problem is remedied by either moving under some shade, or switching to 90 proof :D

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Recent Pickups

We had a chance to taste the Don Roberto and wife decided it would be a very nice late birthday present.

20230623_095444.jpg

Been looking for Lagavulin Distillers Edition at an affordable price and finally ran across a sub $100 bottle I couldn't pass up. The sherry cask finish calms the smoke and peat Lagavulin is famous for.

Tasted the Still Austin Cask 59% and the 49.2% head to head, in my opinion they taste like two different whiskies.
20230623_095651.jpg

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Recent Pickups

We had a chance to taste the Don Roberto and wife decided it would be a very nice late birthday present.

View attachment 182228

Been looking for Lagavulin Distillers Edition at an affordable price and finally ran across a sub $100 bottle I couldn't pass up. The sherry cask finish calms the smoke and peat Lagavulin is famous for.

Tasted the Still Austin Cask 59% and the 49.2% head to head, in my opinion they taste like two different whiskies.
View attachment 182229
Which of the Still Austin bottles did you prefer? I've thought about picking up the Cask Strength a couple times but haven't pulled the trigger.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Which of the Still Austin bottles did you prefer? I've thought about picking up the Cask Strength a couple times but haven't pulled the trigger.
For my part, the cask strength was by far the best Texas bourbon I've had, but it still didn't really do it for me.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@icehog3

I'll agree with Texican that the Still Austin Cask Strength lacks the deep oak, woody notes and subtle complexity of well aged Kentucky bourbon.
But it is well priced and if you are looking to try something a bit lighter and different may be worth a taste.

2yr old
nose cinnamon, sweet cedar, spearmint, dark sweetness well developed
Palate charred oak coconut rich vanilla
Finish peppery

@Texican well, so much of Texas whiskey "Is all hat and no cattle" but we visited the Garrison Bros distillery a couple of years ago and sampled three SBs, one of them stood out and I felt worth the $100+ tag

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
@icehog3

I'll agree with Texican that the Still Austin Cask Strength lacks the deep oak, woody notes and subtle complexity of well aged Kentucky bourbon.
But it is well priced and if you are looking to try something a bit lighter and different may be worth a taste.

2yr old
nose cinnamon, sweet cedar, spearmint, dark sweetness well developed
Palate charred oak coconut rich vanilla
Finish peppery
I appreciate the insights! I think one of the stores I frequent may have this in their bar, I'm going to see if I can try before I (possibly) buy.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Working downstate and had to swing across the river into Kentucky of course. Here’s the haul so far but a few more bottles are temping me.IMG_0756.jpeg
Four gate cask strength
Larceny BP A123
Blantons gold
Elijah Craig BP B523
Orphans Fable and Folly
Johnny drum
Eagle rare
Dexter
Smoke wagon uncut unfiltered

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I appreciate the insights! I think one of the stores I frequent may have this in their bar, I'm going to see if I can try before I (possibly) buy.

I tried the same whiskey barrel pick with the standard cask strength and the difference was considerable, there was also a considerable differene in price.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Working downstate and had to swing across the river into Kentucky of course. Here’s the haul so far but a few more bottles are temping me.View attachment 182826
Four gate cask strength
Larceny BP A123
Blantons gold
Elijah Craig BP B523
Orphans Fable and Folly
Johnny drum
Eagle rare
Dexter
Smoke wagon uncut unfiltered
Nice haul, Chayse!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@icehog3 Definitely better by a considerable margin but still front palate forward in my opinion. $49 vs $81 for the Martin Wine Cellar Selection more spice and maybe floral notes in the barrel select? ABV the same but the alcohol isn't as pronounced

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
@icehog3 Definitely better by a considerable margin but still front palate forward in my opinion. $49 vs $81 for the Martin Wine Cellar Selection more spice and maybe floral notes in the barrel select? ABV the same but the alcohol isn't as pronounced
Again, I truly appreciate the insight!

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
picked up a couple today. Excited about the Pipe Dream cask strength. Local distillery that focuses its branding on the redwood Giant Sequoias in CA which to me is the greatest natural attraction in CA ( more so than Yosemite). They also plant a redwood for every bottle sold.

IMG_5985.jpeg