What's new

Show your Pipe Rack / Storage

Rating - 100%
31   0   0

Scored this gem and the tamper at a local yard sale today.
Um, can you post better pics of this.... I could be wrong but I don't think it's a tamper. It really looks like a stamp for a wax seal use to seal documents with wax during the 18th and 19th century...., I could be wrong but I don't think I am, especially since there is a design on the bottom. A letter would be folded, a candle lit and hot wax dripped over the fold then sealed with the metal stamp end with your design so the recipient knew it was you....

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Um, can you post better pics of this.... I could be wrong but I don't think it's a tamper. It really looks like a stamp for a wax seal use to seal documents with wax during the 18th and 19th century...., I could be wrong but I don't think I am, especially since there is a design on the bottom. A letter would be folded, a candle lit and hot wax dripped over the fold then sealed with the metal stamp end with your design so the recipient knew it was you....
Maybe it is??? I'll send some in a bit.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Maybe it is??? I'll send some in a bit.
That's exactly what it is. A seal. With the letter A I think from the picture. They sell those at a store near my workplace: at 5$ its a steal!

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Here's a reproduction seal my wife uses when we do 18th century reenacting
View attachment 62218
What's the design on the seal? It looks great

I've been wanting to have one made with my family's coat of arms, but the price of custom jobs vs the number of times I'd actually use it ... yeah.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...

I've been wanting to have one made with my family's coat of arms, but the price of custom jobs vs the number of times I'd actually use it ... yeah.
Looks like the letter "A"
If it fits the pipe, though, it sure can be used a cool tamper! Wonder what the age on it is...

Rating - 100%
31   0   0

It's a star, just a cheap reproduction, nothing fancy. It fit the bill for what she used it for.

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
That's what she said :) ;)