What's new

Show your shots!

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
How do you capture a lightening bolt like that? Is there a trick, or just good luck?

I call it the 3 P's technique. Preparation, patience and perseverance.

Preparation: you have to have the right gear for the job. Tripod, camera with long shutter speed capabilities and for me a wireless trigger system for camera.

Patience: a storm with a lot of electricity doesn't come along every day. And you don't always have time to devote to photographing it.

Perseverance: lots and lots of frames with no lightening. Stay with it.

When I have gotten my best lightening shots they have come at night. Easier for your camera to use longer shutter speeds. During daylight hours I have to use neutral density filters to achieve longer shutter speeds.

The photo above is actually a still frame from video! . Some may call that cheating. But I was on the clock with my video camera and a storm was approaching. Slight post processing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Since they closed Sabine St. Bridge here in Houston in preparation for tonight's fireworks show I took the opportunity of the zero traffic last night and did a bit of photography... That damn street lamp however.:mad::rage::sour:

Houston Long Exposure Edit by Shift_Six, on Flickr
Street light and construction crane. But still looks great to me. Hoping a get a few spare minutes on my vacation in a couple weeks to dust off my camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk