What's new

Sigh... Deep breath... It begins

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I used to not let it get to a boil, just bring it up to the proper temp and then stop it. Here in the mountains of Arizona, I found a good point (≈200°F) was when the bubbles started to form on the bottom of the kettle but not come to the surface (I now use a temp controlled kettle and it is great). If you thought going from instant to pre-ground was good, wait until you go from pre-ground to fresh it's another night and day comparison. Hope you enjoy it and never have to go back to instant
Ok I tried that this morning but it was a bit cold, I'll keep practicing and look for the bubbles next time.

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Had my first Aero blunder this morning.

I started pressing about to leave home for work and remembered something I'd forgotten, went to my room for about 5 minutes and came back.
Must be due to settling or something but it became near impossible to finish the press. Typical male, I kept trying, weight shifted sideways for a second and coffee everywhere!

Dam it, lesson learnt.

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I love the grinder..been using mine for years. ..great to travel with.
Hey mate, just curious if you rinse out your Porlex Grinder each time you grind or if you just do the every so often toothbrush clean of the ceramic and leave the coffee fines in between grinds!

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Cool mate, I actually saw that one before but I was just wondering if you rinse the fines out after each use as I won't be doing a toothbrush clean after every use.
Ah sorry, I have a different hand grinder, but i do not rinse after each use personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey mate, just curious if you rinse out your Porlex Grinder each time you grind or if you just do the every so often toothbrush clean of the ceramic and leave the coffee fines in between grinds!
I tend to clean it out once a week....mine came with a brush that I use sometimes before a good wash. The conical plastic innards tend to build up quickly so that needs to be cleaned so that it works. There is a dust buildup but once a week cleaning....all ya need.

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I tend to clean it out once a week....mine came with a brush that I use sometimes before a good wash. The conical plastic innards tend to build up quickly so that needs to be cleaned so that it works. There is a dust buildup but once a week cleaning....all ya need.
Thanks for the tip, just gave it a scrub and it comes up brand new, while I think I'll tire of finely grinding every morning, I can see this being a great addition to the camper trailer when we are away!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the tip, just gave it a scrub and it comes up brand new, while I think I'll tire of finely grinding every morning, I can see this being a great addition to the camper trailer when we are away!
I bought my first one with the idea of using it when we travel and now I use it everyday...but to have my own freshly brewed coffee with my beans on our trips....instead of the crap they serve at the hotels...I'll happily grind away.

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
:yawn::yawn::yawn:
I bought my first one with the idea of using it when we travel and now I use it everyday...but to have my own freshly brewed coffee with my beans on our trips....instead of the crap they serve at the hotels...I'll happily grind away.
Absolutely mate, I will continue to use it but I think as I'm home every morning now, an electric grinder might be on the cards, every second counts when you rise for work at 4am :yawn: