What's new

Since Aristocrat Is No Longer an Option.....

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Welp,

I moved. But that's not what this thread is about. I know there is a ton of information on storage systems on this site, but sometimes it can be information overload. SO, I'm starting another thread on this subject (because why not add more information to the overload). The point of the title is twofold. One, since aristocrat is no longer making humidors, who is another name/company out there that is making humidors that people are as confident in as they were about Aristocrat? Those types that buy nice cabinet pieces that do not need to worry whatsoever. Second point is more so in saying, in lieu of spending a bunch on something like the aforementioned, what route would you go? Cooler? Rubbermaid? Tupperware? Winecooler? (Although I have one of those but it is no good anymore, hence the thread. And plus I'm not sure after my experience that I "trust" them anymore. Too much babying). I don't think I need temp control as it will sit in my basement (in Wisconsin) all year around.

So in short, what I'm asking is for you to convince me. Convince me of what you would do if you were starting over and if budget was not a hindrance (it is, but you get the gist).

Anyways, thanks guys and sorry for beating a dead horse. Just looking for some opinions. I hate having to baby things. I'm more of a set and forget guy (although I'll still stress about it some). I know cigars are resilient. I know they will be okay. Just want something low maintenance that I know I can count on. Let me know guys and thanks.

-Paul

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
As a fellow "set and forget" type, I plan on returning to mostly coolers when the time comes. I've had the least issues with coolerdors and tupperdors, and the (comparatively) most issues with my wineador and cabinet.
I never even turned mine on and I felt the seal was never right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Quick follow up. Any experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just the experiences of close friends, Paul. I have at least 4 I know with Avallos, and all 4 of them are very complimentary and recommend them highly. I bought an Aristocrat back in 2005 or 2006 so I never thought to purchase one myself.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Just the experiences of close friends, Paul. I have at least 4 I know with Avallos, and all 4 of them are very complimentary and recommend them highly. I bought an Aristocrat back in 2005 or 2006 so I never thought to purchase one myself.
Fair enough! Thank you sir!

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
What's wrong with your wine cooler?!
Frankly "user" error from when I first got it. Not sure the seal has ever been quite right. It's taken a LOT of babysitting. And the half arsed solutions to fix the seal that I've put in (quite a few years back) have caused me to "lose faith" in it.

Hard to explain. I just think it's time for something new (not for the sake of new but for the sake of piece of mind). On one hand, I obviously love the simplicity and price of the tupperware type. Also the ease of the set and forget. On the other hand, we're going to be building a bar in the basement, so maybe something nice that could be "part" of that. I'm also considering something that locks, etc.

Basically I have no idea what I want, but not my wine cooler.

Wowza, it's already been one of those weeks as you can see by this rambling!

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Ah I get it. If you want something nice... Build a nice cabinet!!!

But then you'll be playing with seals again

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Quick update.

Am leaning avallo. The more I thought about it the more I like the idea of being able to lock it (albeit a cheap lock), being able to leave it out (thinking of building a bar area in the basement, etc), and just the "nicer" piece. Have been speaking with Matt from there and am excited to learn more about them. Seems between them and aristocrat people have had good luck with them so I'm happy that this is moving toward this direction. Will keep everyone updated!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Frankly "user" error from when I first got it. Not sure the seal has ever been quite right. It's taken a LOT of babysitting. And the half arsed solutions to fix the seal that I've put in (quite a few years back) have caused me to "lose faith" in it.

Hard to explain. I just think it's time for something new (not for the sake of new but for the sake of piece of mind). On one hand, I obviously love the simplicity and price of the tupperware type. Also the ease of the set and forget. On the other hand, we're going to be building a bar in the basement, so maybe something nice that could be "part" of that. I'm also considering something that locks, etc.

Basically I have no idea what I want, but not my wine cooler.

Wowza, it's already been one of those weeks as you can see by this rambling!
I've used almost every type of humidor out there. .. .easiest and cheapest is Tupperware by far. I have at least 6 of the 2.5 gallon size that house around 250 cigars where I put cedar trays inside for that great transfer.. .I keep 8 ounces of KL and one shot glass of DW inside that I can see temp/RH thru the opaque lid. .. that keeps me from opening it up like I have ADD. RH is pegged at 65%RH... the money saved let's me buy more cigars.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I did pull the trigger on the avallo. I'm confident in those I know that have them after doing some searching that this will be a good setup. Definitive not the cheapest option but it's a nice piece that will go by the bar area downstairs! I'm looking forward to it. I'll keep the thread updated as I get the unit! Thanks all for the help.