What's new

smokers

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
alrighty!! a few of you got me drooling! i've always fancied myself as a good cook, but i've never delved into the smoker world. how about some advice for the newbie! like, where do i start! lots and lots of info out there....

thanks in advance,

jeff

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
oh no, you just opened my personal pandoras box. i could go on and on about this topic.

First hing you need to do is figure out what kind of smoker you wanna get. the basic choices are a traditional wood fired smokers that uses hardwood and/or charcoal as a heat source; good ol fahioned fire. You can alos choose gas fired smoker, shich used propane as the fire source and they usually have some type of cast iron vessel that you put soaked wood chips into that create the smoke. And then there's the electric fired smoker, which used some sort of electric heating element to heat up little wood pellets or bisquits and that's where the smoke comes from.

Once you figure out which way you wanna get your smoke, then you decide how much you wann spend. As with anythnig, this can vary. anywhere's from $100 to many thousands.

In figuring out shich smoker you wanna get, you'll need to decide how much attention you wanna have to pay to it while cooking. At let me preface this by saying you should avoid the electric smoker...we're all gonna laugh at you if you go that route.

With the traditaionl wood fired smoker, you'll need wood and charcoal. Charcoal is easy, but wood can be difficult. Woods like mequite, hickory, apple, cherry can get expensive. Chunk wood of these varieties are pretty accessible, but try finding those woods in real fireplace sized pieces. THat's tough. Also, the costs can start racking up with buying big bags of chunks.

Gas fired uses chips for the most part, which is a little less expensive.

OK, i'll stop now. Answer those couple of questions first, and then we can go from there.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Depends on which way ya want to go. If you've got a decent grill, you can get right to light smoking with some wood chips and heavy foil. Most likely not your best bet for ambitious smoking but you can get by on some things (like ribs and chops) and give your grub some smoke flavor if that's all you're after.

For the low & slow real deal, you could go the traditional real wood/real fire route and buy an offset smoker. There are also electric or propane cabinet smokers that use regular wood chips. Me, I have a Bradley Smoker and no one has ever complained about the food that's come out of it. You're limited to using their "bisquettes" but they come in several flavors.

ETA: Doggonit...bballbaby beat me to the punch.

Last edited:

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I should confess that for a couple years now i've been using a gas fired smoker. Like Jetexas, no one has ever complained about my stuff, and many have even said it's way better than competition style ribs and BBQ, but alas, it's gas fired and not the "real deal". The one hting i don't like about the gas is that you simply cant get that charcoal flavor from it. Charcoal and real wood smoke has a taste all it's own that can't be duplicated. And it's the one falvor i think my food is missing.

Hoever, I just finished the rehab of an offset wood fired smoker that i acquired for free. So that's where i'm headed...wood fired.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
OK to start I think I want a Gas Smoker, I do the family stuff, maybe a few racks of ribs, Chicken, and Turkey. Mostly one at a time, so where do I look for a good smoker for this?

John

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
okay, so, what's wrong with the electric model? the original Bradley looks sweet - and pretty easy!!
Nothing at all.

I'm a little fanatical about doing things the traditional way...wood and charcoal. Event hough i started with gas, i've always wanted to get up to wood and charcoal. Plus i gotta friend who swears by charcoal and he makes fun of me for using gas. i gotta pick on someone, so electric is my whipping boy.

But again, there's nothing wrong with it.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
OK to start I think I want a Gas Smoker, I do the family stuff, maybe a few racks of ribs, Chicken, and Turkey. Mostly one at a time, so where do I look for a good smoker for this?

John

Try Cabelas. THat's where i got mine. haven't had any issues with it at all either.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
okay, so, what's wrong with the electric model? the original Bradley looks sweet - and pretty easy!!
I have the Bradley Original model and it is convenient. If I were going to do it again, though, I'd get the digital...even easier. But the Original works like a champ.

Of course, I don't think there's anything wrong with electric but there is a difference between electric and a traditional smoker but IMO it's really just an aesthetic difference. Electric smokers like the Bradley usually won't produce a "smoke ring" in your meat products. If you're not familiar with what a smoke ring is, it's that pinkish color you sometimes see around the outside edge of slow smoked meat, like brisket.

In most electric smokers, the wood used doesn't burn at high temperature. It just smolders. Without high heat, it doesn't release much nitrogen to combine with oxygen to make NO2, which would react with the myoglobin in the meat, which would make a smoke ring. On the other hand, traditional smokers use an honest-to-goodness flame to burn the wood, so they usually (but not always) form a smoke ring. Many purists will say this is important. Me, not so much.

Besides, if I feel like it, I have a trick for making a faux-smoke ring.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Jeff,
I have a little electric smoker that I have used for years and burned out two elements. Never had a complaint.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
As you can see, it's really not about what kind of smoker you use; it's how you use it.

My first several tries turned out terrible. My first brisket was 5 hours from being done...point is, it takes some experimenting to figure out how to use your smoker, and it takes even more experimenting figuring out what flavors you like. I went through a period last fall/winter where i was doing ribs about twice a week for a month or so. The wife and i actually got tired of them...my skin always smelled like smoke...my farts even had a smokey smell to them, seriously. But when all was said and done, i liked my ribs. Of course i did a few prok shoulders and a brisket or two in that time frame, but it was all trial and error.

And i'm not done yet. I'm always trying something just a little different everytime i smoke, and with the new wood fired smoker, it's like starting all over again.

One piece of advice for doing ribs...use spare ribs, NOT babybacks. Look up online how to butcher a set of spares properly. They taste better, they're bigger and they're cheaper, plus it's what they use for the rib cook offs. The only way to go.

Feel free to PM with any questions you may have. The only thing i haven't smoked is salmon and cheese.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Gale, on spare ribs that connection tissue at the one end, is that removable? I really don't like it and I find it very bothersome.

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to, but on the back side of the rib there is a membrane that is supposed to be pulled off. I use a butter knife to pry it up and then grab it with a paper towel and pull it off. If you leave it on and cook it it gets extremely chewy. It kind of runs in a traigular shape. Also, by pullin it off, if you dry rub your ribs, the removal of said membrane allows the rub flavors to penetrate more deeply into the meat.

There's also the back strap on the back of the ribs. This is the little 1 to2 inch wide strip of meat that rund diagonally across the ribs. Remove it by pulling it up and cutting it close to the ribs without exposing the bones. Rub this and smoke it like you would the regualr rib rack. it cooks in half the time and is a great little snack for the chef at the halfway point when you're really starting to smell those ribs and starting to get hungry for them. I cut it in little bite size pieces and let my guests try it out so they can get a teaser of what the real ribs are gonna taste like. it drives em crazy.

The big bone on the one side of the ribs...i just cut it out and throw it away. It takes up too much room in the smoker and it's pretty much useless in terms of getting quality meat off it. However, on the other side of that big bone is the brisket. Same cut as beef brisket, only pork. THis is wehre you get your boneless ribs from.

Does that help?

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Gale, on spare ribs that connection tissue at the one end, is that removable? I really don't like it and I find it very bothersome.
No wait. maybe you're tlaking aobut on the one end of the bone, there's this big ball of shit that's all hard and you end up taking a big bite of meat and spitting out this little marble like thing. If so, the way to avoid that is by cutting it out. When you get a full rack of spare ribs that you have to "butcher" yourself, just cut your ribs back a little so you cut right through that joint. Feel it with your hands and cut right through it. Your ribs will be 1/2 inch shorter, but it'll be gone.

Then on your brisket, cut it out again to keep your boneless ribs bonelss.