What's new

Smokers

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
For the propane smokers, it seems like a nice feature to have is a second door at the bottom so that you can check the water and wood chips. How important is this? Must have, just nice to have, or not really important at all?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
It's nice to have. I can adjust the burner flame and add wood to the smoke box without opening the top cabinet and losing some heat and smoke. If you're lookin', you ain't cookin'. But to be honest, I still have to open the top section to be able to pour water into the pan, and when I do the temp rebounds pretty fast. So nice, but not essential.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Been doing some looking around at smokers.... So far the one I like the best is from Dyna Glo. Looks like the master forge one that @Mossome posted.

I'm ok with having to cut rib racks in half, but I wonder if a turkey would fit inside it. We have a turkey upstairs so I'm going to go measure it. The grate size they say is 14 x 13 - seems like it might be a tight fit for most turkeys.

Curse this place! :)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have the lil Tex elite Traeger... Fits plenty of meat for me... There are other smokers out there that are basically the same concept as Traeger and prob do the same job... I got mine on a deal a few years back and love it... I have had the "mini frig" electric smokers before and they require a lot more attention (soaking chips, adding chips every 30 min - hour). I love being able to have great results with little attention. Some people like tending to the meat more and think they get better results doing so. I like smoking thru the night and I'm not getting up every hour to check it so pellet smoker is my best option

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Anybody run an electric smoker? I was thinking that route. So I don't have to worry about propane and propane accessories. I used to use a barrel style smoker with side firebox but when I moved I didn't move it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm enjoying this thread, would like to get a smoker some day but currently I'm not apartment living so it's a no go.

However, I wanted to make sure you knew that somebody caught that classic King of the Hill reference!

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I use a Webber smoky mountain. Uses charcoal as the main heat source and wood chunks. It is the unit I'd point a beginner towards. The propane has many benifits , easy to use set timer etc, but the wood they burn has to be soaked chips which do not give off the same smoke as other options because the soaked wood smoldered more than Burns. I've heard good things about the pellet smokers. Id still recommend a WSM or an enexpensive offset as a fist unit.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
image.jpeg Yesderdays turkey.

I'll also add that when combined with a BBQ guru I can throw the meat on at 11pm go to bed and not touch it again until noon when I need to knock down some of the ashes I get about 18 hours on one bag of charcoal (in the 18.5 unit)

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm enjoying this thread, would like to get a smoker some day but currently I'm not apartment living so it's a no go.

However, I wanted to make sure you knew that somebody caught that classic King of the Hill reference!
Beginning to think it would go unnoticed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I use a charcoal kettle smoker got it for 15$ used works really well. Still learning on it. I added a different dial gauge becase the original sucks.No matter what it wont get hot unless you run super low on water. I add charcoal every few hrs. Going to modify it by moving the legs to the outside so i can lift the smoker off the fire pan to tend to the coal. Also going to add a grate to allow the ash to fall below the coal. All in all I really enjoy it!
id recomend a digital thermometer. My friend picked up one that has two probes one for internal temp and one for the meat. It also sends signal to mobil display that you can set inside the house. Its cool

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
So I just thought I'd mention, that I've been like a kid today combined with shock. I got *part* of my secret Santa gift in today, I posted it in the secret Santa thread but here's a picture again.

I was sitting upstairs with my family, smoking a cigar and having a scotch and reading the instructions for this awesome gift. Still in disbelief that someone would send something like this, much less what was said is still coming, thinking, wondering what I've done to deserve this kindness and generosity. I really love this place, it's quickly become a part of my daily life over the past months that I've been here. I feel like I know so many of you guys even though we've never met in person.

I guess just saying thanks again. I'm not usually one to become a part of the group - I usually feel like I need to hang just on the outside so as not to become a bother to anyone. But I believe this place, and the people that make this place what it is, have made me think that maybe I... well hell I don't know. I'm rambling I now.

I just wanted to share here my new awesome toy.

And Santa, thank you again from the bottom of my heart, you'll never know how great this has made me feel today.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Looks like you got... smoked! Haha your halfway there with the wireless thermo! It will take alot of frustration out of smoking. The bear claws look cool ive never seen em before.
Nice hit guys!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I use a Webber smoky mountain. Uses charcoal as the main heat source and wood chunks. It is the unit I'd point a beginner towards. The propane has many benifits , easy to use set timer etc, but the wood they burn has to be soaked chips which do not give off the same smoke as other options because the soaked wood smoldered more than Burns. I've heard good things about the pellet smokers. Id still recommend a WSM or an enexpensive offset as a fist unit.
I don't soak the wood chips anymore, it's not necessary. I also use wood chunks that are bigger than the chips you buy in the bag. I cut the chunks to fit in the tray from bigger chunks. Works like a champ.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I don't soak the wood chips anymore, it's not necessary. I also use wood chunks that are bigger than the chips you buy in the bag. I cut the chunks to fit in the tray from bigger chunks. Works like a champ.

Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
What this guy said!

Be careful, Ron.
Learning to smoke meats can become an obsession.....And, I gained 20 pounds when I first started down that road. I mean, you cooked it so you HAVE to eat it, right?

You've been warned...lol!
Lol... I'm on a path to lose weight. Down about 20 so far, have another 100 to go.

I can do both :)

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
So I got my smoker assembled tonight. Not that it's a big feat, but I'm excited nonetheless :)
My wife stopped by the grocery store after school today and spoke to one of the guys in the meat department - he recommended a pork shoulder so we now have a rather large chuck of pig ready to smoke! She got one of the smaller ones and it was still something like 9 pounds! And to top it off, it was on sale. Normally 22 or so, she got it for 9 bucks. I have no idea if either price is reasonable, but it sure seems like a bargain.

So Saturday morning, we smoke! I can't wait. Even if it doesn't turn out great, it's the first step towards something great :) Now I just need to get some wood to put in there and we're all set.

Thanks so much Secret Santa. You've given me and my family more good times in the future than you'll ever know.