What's new

Smoking at -35 degrees

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
PM me an address... I'll fix that for you...

She's a beater...the battery is shot.. So you'll have to replace or live with leaving it plugged in all the time.. And you'll need to get someone to look into the drivers for the wireless modem... It's acting squirrley...

But I've got a Dell Inspirion that you're welcome to have if you want it...

I was literally planning on craigslisting it this week and was going to give it away to the first person that came to pick it up...

I'd much prefer a BOTL get it than someone else if it is needed/wanted...

Sadly I do not have a laptop or I would. :)
Awesome move Dave!!!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0

fired her up this morning to make sure everything still checks out.. I havent drug the laptop out of the closet in probably 2 years...

I was wrong about the model.. its not an inspirion.. its a Latitude D830... I used it for work until early 2010..

I checked all the ports.. they seem to be working fine.. computer fired up with no problems, etc..

still cant get it to get online.. hopefully youll be able to get someone to fix that for you.. I am 99% certain that the problem is driver/software related.. when I was using it for work, both wireless and the ethernet port worked just fine.. when I pulled it from work duty I wiped the hard drive, reinstalled windows, etc.. and suddenly the modem wasnt working (but had been working 30 minutes earlier).. Im guessing I caused the problem.. and that someone tech saavy can fix it relatively easy (Im just an "e" idiot... zero skills in that area..)...

the battery is definately dead as well.. replacements can be found online for about $40... or you can just leave it plugged in (free option)...

http://www.usbphoneworld.com/dell-d820-dell-latitude-d830-df192.html?CAWELAID=887294667&cagpspn=pla

the only other problem I found with it (I forgot about this) is the touch pad has both top and bottom keys (they do the same thing.. you just use whichever you like best)... the bottom ones arent working.. the top ones (to use the touchpad like a mouse) work fine.. the touch pad was perfect before I did the hard drive wipe.. so I am guessing I screwed up the software/drivers for it too.. it is probably mechanically just fine)..

I just hooked a wireless mouse to it.. which worked perfect.. and circumvents the whole touchpad use/need anyway.. if you have a spare mouse laying around.. thats probably the direction I would go.. (or go buy a cheap one at wally-world for $9)..

but..if you dont have a mouse.. or dont want to screw with one.. the touch pad works just fine.. you just have to use the top keys as opposed to the bottom ones..

other than that.. she works fine..

anyway.. she aint much to look at.. but Im guessing for $40-$50 (battery.. and possibly a mouse) and an hour of tinkering with the software (modem.. and perhaps the touch pad).. you'll have a laptop that you can take to the local B&M and set up a mobile office with :)

Will get it in the mail today...

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Will be interesting to see just how well the system keeps up today. 2 nights ago it was 18 out and 70 degrees in the lounge. (the radiant floor was at 72) It should hit single digits tonight so the sytem will get a true test today. I love a challange! For the guys that don't have the money for a whole house lounge in the North or Midwest. I would start looking into a nice heater/large bath vent (or eductor motor) combo. Makes this a 12 month sport........ Btw Vitty any idea on what your setup cost after you were finished? Could be a usefull for the guys inquiring.
Jfire
I ordered 3 Panasonic FV-30NLF1 340 CFM inline exhaust fans from Amazon at $176 a piece
An Electro Industries EM-WH1025K heated make up air unit to provide temperate fresh air for $1800 purchased locally from Electro
Electrical Wire, Ducting, Vent grilles, switches, and other install supplies were roughly another $500

So all in all I am somewhere in the range of $2800-$3000 all said and done. Small price to pay for year-round comfort if you ask me.

FuenteSmoker

Il n'y a pas de fumée san
Rating - 100%
46   0   0

fired her up this morning to make sure everything still checks out.. I havent drug the laptop out of the closet in probably 2 years...

I was wrong about the model.. its not an inspirion.. its a Latitude D830... I used it for work until early 2010..

I checked all the ports.. they seem to be working fine.. computer fired up with no problems, etc..

still cant get it to get online.. hopefully youll be able to get someone to fix that for you.. I am 99% certain that the problem is driver/software related.. when I was using it for work, both wireless and the ethernet port worked just fine.. when I pulled it from work duty I wiped the hard drive, reinstalled windows, etc.. and suddenly the modem wasnt working (but had been working 30 minutes earlier).. Im guessing I caused the problem.. and that someone tech saavy can fix it relatively easy (Im just an "e" idiot... zero skills in that area..)...

the battery is definately dead as well.. replacements can be found online for about $40... or you can just leave it plugged in (free option)...

http://www.usbphoneworld.com/dell-d820-dell-latitude-d830-df192.html?CAWELAID=887294667&cagpspn=pla

the only other problem I found with it (I forgot about this) is the touch pad has both top and bottom keys (they do the same thing.. you just use whichever you like best)... the bottom ones arent working.. the top ones (to use the touchpad like a mouse) work fine.. the touch pad was perfect before I did the hard drive wipe.. so I am guessing I screwed up the software/drivers for it too.. it is probably mechanically just fine)..

I just hooked a wireless mouse to it.. which worked perfect.. and circumvents the whole touchpad use/need anyway.. if you have a spare mouse laying around.. thats probably the direction I would go.. (or go buy a cheap one at wally-world for $9)..

but..if you dont have a mouse.. or dont want to screw with one.. the touch pad works just fine.. you just have to use the top keys as opposed to the bottom ones..

other than that.. she works fine..

anyway.. she aint much to look at.. but Im guessing for $40-$50 (battery.. and possibly a mouse) and an hour of tinkering with the software (modem.. and perhaps the touch pad).. you'll have a laptop that you can take to the local B&M and set up a mobile office with :)

Will get it in the mail today...

Classy as always Mr.West!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
What's the noise level like when it's all running vitty?
The heated make-up air unit is almost silent. The exhaust fans themselves are almost silent. The only noise there is is the whoosh of air OUT the exhaust vents. The fans pull a lot of air, but even with the radio on at a modest volume they are not noticeable and regular conversation easily drowns them out. I will post up the photos I have of the install later this evening.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't get into work this evening because of the lovely weather outside! So I'm going to have to brave the night to enjoy my post-dinner smoke! It's about 21 here, so that should be fun! But there's something about crisp snow air, at least I'll be able to enjoy a good drink instead of just water. ;)

Stay warm brothers!