What's new

Smoking inside/ Homemade air purifier

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With winter approaching and the time to smoke on the front porch shrinking I find I am going to have to move my hobby inside.

I am 22 in college and living in an off campus house with 2 friends. So we don't have a garage or an area that is enclosed yet free to smoke in. The landlords said its alright to smoke in the house, however I don't want my room/the house smelling like smoke all the time. Obviously smoking inside will cause some smells to linger.

On that note money is tight and I wanted to make something to take care of the smoke. Has anyone used Active Carbon filters (like those for fish tanks) to clean passing air?

I figure use dryer vent ducting to go out the window with a PC 12v van and a dryer vent cover to allow the smoke to be blown outside, but thats wastes heat. So if I can run the air through a purification system using active carbon i could clean out most of the smoke yet still keep the warm air inside.

Ideas?

*I would rather make this than buy it. I LOVE to create things and being in Manufacturing Engineering I have all the resources and design software at my disposal. So please understand why I am going for a DIY approach.*

crispy_monkey

REZ PLZ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't a cigar store or lounge anywhere near you? I did a quick search online and found this place using this site-> http://www.cigarfriendly.us/

The Tobacco Center - (Brick & Mortar)

170 Pine Street
Williamsport, PA 17701

Phone: (570) 322-7766

I don't have a BM near me, but i got my garage. As for your solution...creative but i have no earthly idea if it will work. Anyway, good luck.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't a cigar store or lounge anywhere near you? I did a quick search online and found this place using this site-> http://www.cigarfriendly.us/

The Tobacco Center - (Brick & Mortar)

170 Pine Street
Williamsport, PA 17701

Phone: (570) 322-7766

I don't have a BM near me, but i got my garage. As for your solution...creative but i have no earthly idea if it will work. Anyway, good luck.
I am familiar with them as that's where I get my cigars from. However when there is a foot of snow outside and I'm dressed in comfy sweatpants, I don't want to have to drve down the street to smoke a cigar, haha.

I'm thinking I'm going to make a device and see how it does when I hold a cigar to the fan.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've been smoking cigars for over 25 yrs. I have used Rabbit-air, honeywell and every other air purification device out there. I smoke in my home all the time. At the end of the day your house will smell like cigars and nothing will change that. Some devices can reduce it a bit , but nothing will eliminate it.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I remember a thread, not too long ago, where someone made their own ozone purifier.. a quick search may lead to it and if you're handy probably give you a cheap solution to the problem.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Make a homade smoke filter using a bottle and a fabric softener sheet. (google it)
I've used one of those in every hotel room or cruise ship I've ever been on. Not sure it would work for cigars, but they do what I intended them to do.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other solution is to do a lot of cooking with strong curry.

No one will notice the cigar smell. :cbig:

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
If you're in a state that has banned smoking in bars :grinFU: talk to the bar owners. I scored a industrial smoke eater for a $50 gift card!:drool:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've done some research:

To use Active Carbon realistically I would need at least 3 lbs for it to be even functional.

As for the link that was provided the main concern there is Ozone. Although it gets the job done quite well it also makes the room it is functioning in dangerous for the time it is purifying.

HOWEVER. The main ingredient in producing Ozone is high voltage, and another product of high voltage is Negative Ions. These have potential to be highly effective at removing the smoke and paired with a bit of active carbon it should do the trick quite well. I have found several sources that sell Negative Ion Generators all of which do not produce ozone. I have used these beforeand the smell is refreshing, just like after a storm the lighting often gives off a lot of negative ions hence why everything feels so fresh after a storm.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The sad fact of it is, you can keep you bedroom door shut, have a negative ion generator running, a high capacity HEPA air purifier, blow your smoke through a (personal preference) paper towel tube jam packed with bounce dryer sheets, along with an exhaust system to the outdoors. If you smoke in the house, you will have lingering effects. You might not be able to notice because you'll get accustomed to it, but anyone visiting can tell you. After replacing my carpets, and having the whole house repainted, and the central air ducts cleaned... I either hit my B&M, or don't even worry about it.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
The sad fact of it is, you can keep you bedroom door shut, have a negative ion generator running, a high capacity HEPA air purifier, blow your smoke through a (personal preference) paper towel tube jam packed with bounce dryer sheets, along with an exhaust system to the outdoors. If you smoke in the house, you will have lingering effects. You might not be able to notice because you'll get accustomed to it, but anyone visiting can tell you. After replacing my carpets, and having the whole house repainted, and the central air ducts cleaned... I either hit my B&M, or don't even worry about it.
I'm not ashamed of my cigar smoking, so I don't worry about a few lingering effects. If someone walks into my house and can tell I smoke cigars-good for them. They probably saw the humidor in the dining room as well. If it really bothers them that much, they are more then welcome to leave.

I agree that I don't want to smoke in an enclosed box with no ventilation. In our RV I use a small desk fan (literally a $9 job we found at a WalGreens) and crack the window a hair. I blow the smoke in it's general direction to try to get excess smoke out. The infrared space heater can keep things warm inside with the window opened, and 30* temps outside. When I'm at the house, I just smoke 'er up, and open the window for a few minutes when I'm done.