What's new

Smoking with the clock?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Just curious if anybody else finds themselves smoking with the clock, at least with a cigar you're really paying attention to?
I notice I'll be checking my watch, or the time counter of the show/movie, etc so that I can time my puffs. I kinda thought I was crazy until I read halfwheel's article about lanceros, and their 90 second mark... and finding the "sweet spot" of time for nursing a cigar.

Do you do it? Why or why not?

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Honestly Id never even thought about it until I read one of the lighting/smoking stickies re: heating up the stick etc. I never was a fast smoker anyway but that just made it all make sense. I usually am reading a mag or playing a game on the phone like ruzzle (2 minute rounds) or words with friends and puff between plays and I did pay more attention to the time my last couple of sticks.

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No, but I have a pretty good internal clock. I'm the guy that cooks something, has the time set for 90 mins and somehow walks up when there's 30-45 seconds left...and I always wake up 5 mins before my alarm goes off.

I normally listen to music when I smoke a cigar which is also a good way of telling time, roughly 2-3 puffs for the average song...BUT I find the most telling sign for smoking a cigar is putting your fingers on the wrapper of the cigar, near the cherry. If it's just barely warm, you're doing it right.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I don't at all, Alex.....I am a fairly slow smoker, but it's all about the relaxation for me...I don't want to have tracking the time be at the forefront of my thoughts.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yeah, Im with icehog3 on this one too alex. I just kick back and relax. I usually catch myself smoking it too fast just by taste alone (or so I think)....

If im tracking anything, then im not relaxed enough, and thats usually a helpful indicator at the end of the stick. Ive had some good ones that just sucked cause I wasnt paying attention to the stick.

I know you know all this. Im just tacking on my 2 cents. Never have looked at a clock. (though I will for the blind review coming soon)

-Chrisso

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Yes, I do most of the time I'm smoking alone. I just wear a watch with a central second hand and keep puff every 90 seconds. Doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment--in fact I usually enjoy the cigar better.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
When I'm driving and have a clock in front of me I do. If I'm not driving, I usually look at what time I start a stick and based on the size I can tell when I glance at the time how fast or slow I'm smoking.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
If it's on the internet, it must be true so I know I'm wrong, but I just smoke the cigars. I have no interest in timing the puffs or finding perfect drink pairings or anything that fancy.

I'm just a simple cigar smoker who smokes simple cigars.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I am a former cigarette smoker so when I first started smoking cigars I found that I was smoking too fast which was causing burn issues and sometimes bitterness. Since I smoke a lot when I am driving I trained myself by only taking a puff on the even numbered mile markers. This helped me to slow down to a more reasonable pace. After awhile it became habitual to smoke at a slower pace and I no longer needed to watch the mile markers.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i dont know why, but I'm also a slower smoker. Ive had AF Hemingway ST's last me 45 mins to an hour, easily. Even though I am normally fast paced, when I sit down to have that smoke, everything just goes away, and time seems to just not mean anything for that little while.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of those topics I read and laugh at. If I wanted to be on the clock I'd stay at work. I smoke cigars with alot of guys who have been doing this for alot longer than I have and when I asked them this question every one of them laughed at me. Who the hell wants to sit there with a watch and time their puffs. I smoke cigars to forget about time, not add to it. I'm a relatively fast smoker. I rarely have burn issues related to timing and my cigar never heats up enough to cause bitterness. I think this whole time thing is an old cigar smoker's tale.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I don't time anything. If it heats up, I slow down (usually) :)

That's interesting about the 90 second lancero thing...I'll try it just for the hell of it.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Im laughing at some of the comments and guessing some of it is sarcasm which sometimes gets lost in texts and posts but I figure the timing also comes naturally in smoking not that your counting or have a stopwatch bell ding time to puff. just as thru experience a rider knows how fast he's going by the gear and engine sound or a quarterback doesn't count his steps on his drop back. You just do it and it works.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I probably should because I tend to smoke pretty fast. I also chug everything i drink so i guess it comes naturally.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have a clock in my shop right over my Lathe so i do tend to notice the time when im smoking at the lathe. Hmm smoking while im wood turning might be why so many of my shop sticks taste so much like wood..LOL

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
If it's on the internet, it must be true so I know I'm wrong, but I just smoke the cigars. I have no interest in timing the puffs or finding perfect drink pairings or anything that fancy.

I'm just a simple cigar smoker who smokes simple cigars.
+1 to this

Cheers :ccool:

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
This is one of those topics I read and laugh at. If I wanted to be on the clock I'd stay at work. I smoke cigars with alot of guys who have been doing this for alot longer than I have and when I asked them this question every one of them laughed at me. Who the hell wants to sit there with a watch and time their puffs. I smoke cigars to forget about time, not add to it. I'm a relatively fast smoker. I rarely have burn issues related to timing and my cigar never heats up enough to cause bitterness. I think this whole time thing is an old cigar smoker's tale.
Personally I smoke cigars for the flavor, not to escape time. So if smoking at a slower pace helps, why not time my puffs?

That being said, I only do that if I'm doing a review or trying to pick out specific flavors.