What's new

Smoky Clothes

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Since it's gotten cooler, the last 2 weeks I've tried the smoking lounges at the local B&M. It's been a lot of fun getting to know folks. I like the idea of no TV at these as it really lends to conversation instead of staring at a tube.

But when I get home nobody will have anything to do with me until I take as shower, change and put the clothes in the wash, lol.

The smell of smoke can trigger migraines for my wife - she has been supportive of my new hobby just has to stay clear. I had changed earlier without showering and my daughter goes (from 10 feet away) "Have you been smoking?"
Seems she could smell it on my skin. Maybe I should install a shower stall in the garage. :chat:

Even my wallet is starting to get the oder, lol.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Yup....Part and parcel of our hobby!

I'll hang my sport coat in the garage when I get home...That way the odor won't spread through the closet :)

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I used to run home, change clothes, wash face and brush teeth.

Then I smoked a cigar that had a wonderful taste that lingered and I didn't want it to end.

They are on their own now.

Operative words in first sentence is "used to."

ENJOY! :thumbsup:

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Fabreeze or an odor eliminator can do wonders for clothes after you've smoked in them. I also find washing just your hair and slapping on aftershave does wonders if you are in too much of rush to take a proper shower.

Another thing to consider, there are some fabrics like Silk I believe that don't hold on to the odor of cigar smoke, something to look into if you have a little extra $$

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Sorry, no advice for ya. Wife & kids have never said a word. At least you don't smell like you've had a lap dance at the gentleman's club. The wife does comment then. lol

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
My wife is very sensitive to the aroma of a fine cigar. My post smoking routine consists of clothes in the hamper, shower, mouthwash and brush teeth/tongue scrape. Even then it might not be enough to pass the wife's approval.

Dan

WkndSmoker

Short Story
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
In the summer I smoke on my deck as I enjoy being outside, when the months get colder, such as now I smoke in my home office and if cooking, in the kitchen. Long story short, I get to smoke wherever I want, whenever I want. Marriage has been great! I will not smoke in my living room or bedroom, as there is no ventilation in those rooms, and being a small house just becomes too overwhelming in those rooms.

To a non smoker, there is no way to cover up the smoke, those who do not smoke will always smell it on you, unless you do the change and shower routine, had I to do that I would just give up cigars in general. There should be some compromise, as coming home after smoking, or coming inside after smoking will not smell up the house.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have the same problem with the wife absolutely hating the smell. I usually have my cigar after the kids go to bed in the evening. In the summer I get the pleasure of gifting nature with my wonderful past-times aroma on the deck, but when the temp. dips below a comfortable point, I have to resort to smoking in my truck on the driveway to keep warm...neighbors have gotten used to me now heh. I REALLY need to build a cigar room in/around the house.
The routine is....come in, get the "you stink are you going for a shower?", go upstairs and shower, leaving the clothes in the bathroom over night to air out. Actually I am amazed at how little they smell the next day, oh and my smoking sweater always goes in the garage and never smells after a day or two. No matter how much you brush your teeth, you never can please the woman with a sensitive nose if you come near them.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Wow, you guys sure jump through some hoops! I just come in and hear my wife say "pew, you stink like smoke."
And I say "yeah, delicious cigar smoke. I love it." Then we both get over it.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
My wife really hates the smell of smoke, and I don't like it either. When going to the B&M, I don't wear any of my normal jackets or at least none that I will want to wear anywhere else. When I get home, I change and my clothes stay in the garage until they are washed. I'm glad my wife doesn't smoke, but she wants absolutely nothing to do with cigars so I wish she could at least come to a social event now and then.

Oh well, I'd rather her let me do my thing then be all up in my business! LOL

WkndSmoker

Short Story
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
To add insult to inury, just finished smoking a Short Story in the wife's parents house....or do I say in-laws now...still not sure, been married almost a month now. Should have added this to my previous post in this thread.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
The only time I don't catch hell from the wife is when she fires one up with me... but those does are few and far between.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
SOLUTION: eat a can o' beans while smoking a cigar.

When you come back inside, change if you must but forgo the shower. When asked about the cigar smell, let loose the boiling greasy fart that's been festering in your bowels from said can o' beans.

Your wife will quickly forget about the cigar smell.

*NOTE* You might have to change your shorts again.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Damn, this is like the cooking channel or something. All these women whining about smells and odors. I smoke cigars. I smoke them in my truck, I smoke them in my RV, and I smoke them in my house. I've sealed off the closet of the RV so it doesn't smell of stale cigar smoke, much like the closets in our house won't smell of it. It's your life, it's your hobby. I'll agree to compromises, but damn, having a full post cigar debriefing ritual and begging to be accepted back inside the house you own is just nuts.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would like to be able to agree with you, Justin, but sometimes compromise is very important - especially if you really want to keep the significant other happy.

I love smoking cigars and don't mind the smell at all when I'm enjoying the company of others smoking cigars. However, I absolutely hate the smell of stale smoke. I can smell it a mile away in the ER when a patient or family member comes in reeking of smoke. It smells horrible.

If I feel that way, I know my wife hates it even more. I'm happy to keep her happy if all I have to do is change out of my stinky clothes and shower.