What's new

snippers

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
just out of curiosity, whats your method of clipping your favorite smoke? what rituals do you use and what kind of tools?

my ritual isnt very much. i select it, light it, and smoke it
i prefer a punch over scissors. :guitar:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the mood, Mostly the Xikar X3, I have a boston cigar table v cutter I use time to time (I should use it more for the money it cost) Then I have a fairly long ritual that I won't go into too much detail but I like to smell it, clip it, test prelight draw, slowly heat foot, begin to puff, check burn, waff the fresh lit aroma and enjoy.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Nothing special. Select the smoke...sniff it, pinch it, cut it with the Xikar, SAK or scissors (just don't seem to care for punches much anymore); prelight draw; light it; smoke it.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Palio at home, little Havana cutter in the car.

For a second I thought this thread was about what the wife keeps nagging me to make an appointment with the urologist for. :wtf:

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Xikar at home, SAK on the road. I tried a punch but never really stuck with it. The only ritual I have is staring at my smokes and deciding which little bugger gets the torch :widemouth !!!!!!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Loved my Colibri Davidoff knockoff until I got cigar scissors. Loved the scissors until I got a Xikar. Loved the Xikar until I got a Palio--best cutter I've ever used.

For the money, though, the Havana Cutters do, indeed, rock.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
RSpro said:
Depends on the mood, Mostly the Xikar X3, I have a boston cigar table v cutter I use time to time (I should use it more for the money it cost) Then I have a fairly long ritual that I won't go into too much detail but I like to smell it, clip it, test prelight draw, slowly heat foot, begin to puff, check burn, waff the fresh lit aroma and enjoy.

I like the ritual too. I've heard pros and cons on the "heating the foot" step though. Thoughts? :dunno:

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I usually stare at my cigars for a while. . . decide what I want to smoke, smell it, cut it, pre-light draw only if I'm worried about it, toast the foot and then take a nice big draw, make sure I'm burning evenly and smoke away. . . I need to invest in a good cutter. I'd be up shit creek if Doofus hadn't sent me one when I first joined.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
djs134 said:
I like the ritual too. I've heard pros and cons on the "heating the foot" step though. Thoughts? :dunno:
I'd be interested in hearing the cons, I haven't heard or read any as of yet.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
jcgoldner said:
I'd be interested in hearing the cons, I haven't heard or read any as of yet.
I always enjoyed the ritual of picking the stick, inspecting it, clipping it, taking a cold draw and then slowly lighting the foot by passing a lighter over it until I started to get a glow. Then a friend told me that he read that the "charring" of the foot could give an off flavor to the start of the cigar. I've done some reading since and have run across similar reports. Personally, I still enjoy the practice. What would be the difference between slowly and evenly lighting the foot or torching it as you draw? As long as it's done evenly. Either way you're burning the tobacco.

I was just interested whether anyone had a different take.

I guess it's kind of like warming the length of the cigar. I don't subscribe to the practice since I don't trust myself not to burn the wrapper, but if you can do it and not torch the wrapper, and it enhances the experience..... go for it......

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
depends on ring guage if I use my avo punch or Xikar. Once i've snipped or punched the cigar I inhale to taste the raw flavors. See if it's initially spicy or sweet on my lips or in my mouth. Then I use a torch to toast the outside of the cigar. Once it's evenly burning on the outside and then puff away to get the cherry burning to the center! I then try to swirl the smoke around me to get the aroma and then enjoy the sucker!!!!

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Oh, and Xikar until I got my Palio. Once my Xi gets back from being resharpened, I'll probably use which ever is handiest! Used a punch for a while, but didn't feel like I got as nice a draw or quite as broad flavors. But that could just be me....