What's new

So does a Connoisseur only drink coffee black?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I love my coffee with cream and sugar but I fellow drinker said that I am ruining the true flavor profiles by addition these condiments.

So, should I be drinking my java black ? After some 35 years on the cream and sugar bandwagon a change may be difficult.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If that is the way you enjoy your coffee...don't let anyone else tell you to change. I drink mine black, but that was just the way I was raised. I tried cream and sugar for awhile and enjoyed it, but then went back to black since I didn't always have cream available.

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Whether or not you're ruining the flavor profile is a matter of opinion, but you're definitely changing it. If you really want to appreciate the subtle nuances of different coffees, they should be had without any additives. All that really matters is whether or not you're enjoying it, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blind2reason

My Mom Thinks I'm Cool
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing can be said about using A1 sauce on steak. Moderation is key, as long as the cream and sugar are complimenting the coffee flavor and not drowning it out, I don't see an issue.

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
I use a little sugar and cream in my coffee and I can still pick out subtle nuances between single origin coffees. It does mute a lot of what could possibly be picked up if it was black, but then that is not how i like to enjoy my coffee. Milk is there to tone down the tannins, and it helps a little when smoking a cigar too. But if you are a "true" connoisseur then you wouldn't put anything in it. I just like good coffee and I am willing to pay what it costs to get it regardless. Cheers!

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I enjoy it black and I also enjoy it with a little cream. I don't like sugar in it just because in my mind I ruin the flavor profile. I also don't add water to my scotch and I know many say it brings out the flavors that otherwise you can't find. I will say that your nose brings out the flavors. I really enjoy when drinking a fine fresh roasted coffee that smelling it and rolling the aromas around in your mouth and kind of smelling while in your mouth help pick out those flavors. I will also add that you should really let your coffee cool down a lot so that you can detect the flavor notes that coffee supposedly produces.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
75% of the time I'll doctor it up with cream and sugar, especially when drinking a cup at work (notoriously bad coffee there and cream / sugar are a must). But if I really want to enjoy the taste and take the time to relax with a cup, I drink it black.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If you buy really good coffee its better black. Im not an expert on coffee at all but when i did get some descent coffee i slowly diminished the cream and sugar that i used until one day i was drinking it black. Not out of what others said, but because my taste just evolved naturally because the coffee was that good by itself.

You should try it black and if you dont like it, dont sweat it and just drink it how you like. Its not like youre mixing coke and a nice xo cognac.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
If you've been enjoying your coffee w/ cream and sugar for 35 years, I wouldn't even consider changing. If your friend doesn't like it, he doesn't have to watch. To be fair, though, I don't even have a coffee maker and most of the coffee I drink comes from restaurants and needs cream and sugar to cover up the taste of the bad coffee!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drink it black. However, I add ice to cool it off before chugging the cup.

Not a connoisseur, just a coffee drinker.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I drink coffee black but that is how I have always had it. Next thing your friend will tell you that you can only use a gold strainer or a French Press and nothing else when making coffee. It is all about what you enjoy.

beercritic

Noobness
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my coffee black. I rarely drink it. Once a month, perhaps. But by all means enjoy everything the way you prefer.

Except, for the love of God, do not use mixers with high-dollar hooch.

joe

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I am a coffee snob according to many of my friends. I spent time working a contract for Starbucks during their acquisition of Seattle's Best and they took me behind the scenes of the business and I learned that some coffees almost require something to tone them down while others are good straight.

The key is whether you are drinking for taste, boost or pairing it with a cigar. For the first two, it does not really matter. When pairing with a stick, I say go natural so as to not deter from the stick and allow yourself to really assess the two of them on their own.

Just my $ .02

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
My daily cup of coffee is from a Keurig coffee machine then usually a regular dark roast from Panera bread once I get to work. While I love my Keurig machine, the taste of the coffee isn't the absolute best. Keurig and Panera coffee lands a dab of cream and sugar (sugar in the raw). On weekends I usually take the time to brew a true pot via my French Press. Those cups are enjoyed black as can be and it tastes amazing.

Plus now that the weather is finally warming up a bit, I can start my Saturday mornings with black coffee and a cigar on the patio!

Last edited: