What's new

So, I was looking at various cigar of the month clubs...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually had it in the back of my mind to join one for some ten years now. I looked at all of them, and JR appears to have the best deal—well, it's the best price anyway—of the 5 or 6 that I checked out. And if you sign up for JR plus, it's even a better deal.

But then...

I was advised not to do any of those cigar of the month things. I'm told they all suck. Of course, that's just the word of one guy.

Anyone else have any input on cigar of the month clubs?

Thanks

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really "input" per se, since I've never joined one, but look at it this way - would you rather decide for yourself what you'd like to smoke, or let someone else decide for you?
Both, actually: most of the time I either know what I want because it's something I've had before, or I have in mind to buy a specific cigar I've heard or read about.

On the other hand, sometimes surprises are nice. If I was going to a cigar store and you gave me $10 and asked me to buy you a cigar of my choice, I'd bet another $10 that the odds were better than 50% that you'd like whatever I picked out. And it might be something you'd never heard of. It might even become your new favorite stick.

This is the reason that (assuming it's not 5 or 6 crap cigars per month—which may or may not be an unwarranted assumption) a cigar club would be appealing.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Both, actually: most of the time I either know what I want because it's something I've had before, or I have in mind to buy a specific cigar I've heard or read about.

On the other hand, sometimes surprises are nice. If I was going to a cigar store and you gave me $10 and asked me to buy you a cigar of my choice, I'd bet another $10 that the odds were better than 50% that you'd like whatever I picked out. And it might be something you'd never heard of. It might even become your new favorite stick.

This is the reason that (assuming it's not 5 or 6 crap cigars per month—which may or may not be an unwarranted assumption) a cigar club would be appealing.
Smallbatch had some decent samplers, I'd start with them before committing to a monthly package of stuff these stores can't otherwise sell.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You want to join a monthly cigar club? Just join chat and start talking. You'll be randomly picked on by one of these jerks. That might lead to a cigar of the month. Or just banter and more picking on by trolly trolls. But really, I've never pulled the trigger on any of the monthly clubs. Honestly I'd rather pick out my own cigars for the $30 or so monthly fee.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Do your reading here, ask the brothers for recommendations then select and order a selection you might like from a reputable dealer. A couple I would recommend to you would be the L'Atelier Original 52, Las Mareas and La Careme from Crowned Heads.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
My wife bought me the JR club for my birthday. It's not bad. There's usually two or three really good ones, a couple decent ones, and a dog rocket. But it gets me smoking new things. I wouldn't have bought it for myself but I'm glad I got it.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Remember this quote in a year.
This month I got a Le Bijou, an Espinoza Laranja, and a La Imperiosa along with some Rocky Patel stick, something i don't remember, and an Acid. So like I said, three really good ones, a couple whatevers, and a dog rocket. I'm happy with it. But you always know what I'm going to like in a year so I'll take your word on it.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
This month I got a Le Bijou, an Espinoza Laranja, and a La Imperiosa along with some Rocky Patel stick, something i don't remember, and an Acid. So like I said, three really good ones, a couple whatevers, and a dog rocket. I'm happy with it. But you always know what I'm going to like in a year so I'll take your word on it.
You might like all of them in a year, who knows? But why would you pay for 3 crapy sticks if you can choose not to?

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I've actually had it in the back of my mind to join one for some ten years now. I looked at all of them, and JR appears to have the best deal—well, it's the best price anyway—of the 5 or 6 that I checked out. And if you sign up for JR plus, it's even a better deal.

But then...

I was advised not to do any of those cigar of the month things. I'm told they all suck. Of course, that's just the word of one guy.

Anyone else have any input on cigar of the month clubs?

Thanks
My advice would be to get into a newbie trade, go to the post, tell them you want to make a newbie trade, and you will get some great new sticks, then do a couple of trades (once you qualify).