What's new

So. . . Thinking of taking the plunge

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So, I'm thinking of hopping on the pipe bandwagon to save some money on my smoking habit. If you've seen the thread about my daughter you know money is tight. I went looking for a good starter kit and found something interesting. My question is, what else would I need?

The kit includes
The Burley at its Best Pipe Kit includes:
(1) pouch Sir Walter Raleigh Regular
(1) pouch Skandinavik Regular
(1) pouch Missouri Meerschaum Missouri Pride
(1) Red bent pot briar pipe
(1) 3-in-1 Czech tool
(1) package Capri pipe cleaners.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/89523/burley-at-its-best-pipe-kit/

I thought about the At The Marquee Club kit, but it is all Latakia blends. I've vaped juice made from Latakia blends, but I hardly think that has prepared me for smoking them. http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/89520/at-the-marquee-club-pipe-kit/

Any thoughts from the puffing section?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You could always do the pipe newb trade before the purchase if you wanted
Burned through my stick supply. I've been stressed and started smoking two or more a day. That would mean buying sticks to trade and then the starter kit. If I go with a pipe, I will jump in on that thread when money is flowing to things besides doctors, prescriptions, and glasses though.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think at least a couple guys on here are willing to do cash trades for the newb pipe trade. Have you already done the cigar newb trade?
I skipped it because I got two very generous welcome bombs. I did however bomb OtismyMan while he was waiting for a sponsor. But, yeah, after looking at the thread I understand that I don't meet the requirements.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I was digging through my old supplies for making vape juice. In the box I found about half an ounce of H&H Sweet and Savory and a half ounce of Milan Tobacconist Black Gold. Both were stored in their original zip-loc bag and tucked away in a cardboard box in the top of the closet. How can I tell if they are still any good?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are the least bit moist they are still good. If they're too dry you can stick a boveda in to re hydrate or even use a slice of apple. Pipe tobacco is much more forgiving than cigars.

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Piping is great brother ! I manage to enjoy both. I smoke pipes most of the week and cigars on the weekend or a special occasion at home.

If you are looking to save cash starting with a cob is a great idea, I have very limited knowledge in this area but I just like the way briars clean up nicely so I smoke from briars more often.

Also check out blends that sell in bulk. I would recommend Dunhill early morning as a good starting point. There are an awful lot of elements to piping and if you don't do it right it's easy to say it's not for me. If you knew someone or can arrange to meet up with someone who enjoys piping it's the best starting point you can hope for. In saying that I learnt from trial and error and this forum !

I guess what I'm saying is play around for a while and don't judge your enjoyment on the first bowl. It will take a while to find what you like and learn to pack, smoke and clean properly. There is a hell of a pipe smoking community here though and if you initially have a vested interest in saving some $$ it will probably get you to the point of loving pipes in no time.

Please shoot me a message any time if you want to chat about it. I enjoy the whole ritual and while I've been piping for less than 1 year, I smoke 3 bowls a day and have my routine down pat.

By no means am I the most knowledgable but I know enough to help out and pay forward the lessons I've learnt here! And I would enjoy doing it!

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Mike, I've got a good selection of Latakia tobaccos you might like to try. I'll package some samples up and send them your way. I started piping with Lat mixes, and they don't seem to bite near as easy as some of the burleys or Virginias. I'm about 4 months in, and absolutely love it. I save the cigars for special occasions, and the golf course. It's cut my spending to 1/3 of what I smoked in stogies alone. I think you'll enjoy it after you get past the learning curve.

Edit: nothing at all wrong with cobs. Cheap, no break in time. I own 4 cobs and three briars, and smoke the cobs more than anything at work and such. I don't like carrying my nicer briars out with me, afraid I'll mess them up

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Blunk's SFR arrived and it was a beauty. Inside was Orlik Sun Sliced which I have wanted to try since vaping a juice made from that blend. Plus it had Storm Front which I wanted to use for making vape juice. There was also some Villiger 1888 Early Days and Semoi's (?) Medium Cut.

I will get a pic up soon.