Sobriety Thread

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by zama80, Feb 14, 2014.

1. zama80

zama80

Media:
    Albums:
    So I have noticed that there are a number of brothers who are clean and sober and are pretty open about it. I would like this thread to be a place where those who may struggle with addiction or alcohol issues can find another brother who can offer advice and/or support. If you are clean/sober and would like to offer your help please post up.
    If you think you have an issue and want advice just find a brother on this thread and PM them. There is zero need for you to post here, just PM one of us. You can post up if you like but is completely unnecessary.
    And if I am the only one who offers help, that is cool too. I am here for anyone that needs help. My sobriety date is September 27, 2006, so I have a couple days experience at it.

Having said all that. What this thread will NOT be is a debate thread. If this turns into a debate about drug and alcohol addiction and treatment I will have this thing deleted so fast it will make your head spin. You want to debate? Take it to the debate thread or PM.

All that will be offered here is a chance at a better way of life.

Here is the current list of brothers to contact if you need to. And a big thanks to them for offering to help.

1. Zama80
    2. Javajunkie
    3. 3/5king
    4. FuenteSmoker
    5. ChefBoyRG54
    6. Doug B
    7. Cigar_Benz_Daddy
    8. srduggins
    9. madcox
    10. CWS
    11. DrumMum
    12 discglide
    13. Tug187
    14 VeLoRok
    15. roadmessiah

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    GaryPoe, ritter6788, Oscur and 8 others like this.
  2. Fitze55

Fitze55

Media:
    Albums:
    Very nice offer.

I have a immediate family member who has been sober for over 25 years and is very active in the "program". She is one of the most stable grounded people I know.

8ball likes this.
  3. ilikefishes

ilikefishes

Congrats on beating your demons. And thank you for offering your help to brothers and sisters in need.

Alechoustonsotl likes this.
  4. javajunkie

javajunkie BoM July '12

Albums:
    while i think it falls under the aegis of the "BotL and mental health" thread, it is specific enough to be it's own thing. and, anyone who needs a hand or a shoulder, either thread, PLEASE PM someone who has posted there or here if you need something. anything. you will recognize names, and if you feel the call to trust someone, feel free to just PM someone out of the blue. we will understand.

consider me down to help with this. dry for four years, AND i manage a liquor store. i understand temptations. anyone, PM me if needed. o)

HEY CURTIS! you wanna make a list in the first post of names, people who specifically offer to help? might save a second, if needed...

8ball likes this.
  5. 3/5King

3/5King Shwing!

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on almost 8 yrs sobriety brother!

My sober date is Jan. 4th 2011

I'm here for all of you. Sober, not sober. Any problem big or small you are always welcome to message me. And don't let the long sobriety times discourage you from it. We only got there one day at a time.

6. zama80

zama80

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks brother, and yes, I will add the names at the top. Great suggestion.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    Brimy623 likes this.
  7. smokinghole

smokinghole

I'm not a nondrinker but I'm here for anyone that has a problem. One of my brothers has dealt with and continues to deal with drug/alcohol issues. It's been since he was about 15years old and he's 33 now so it hasn't gone away. I get temptation though I work in a brewery. There are guys I work with that I am sure have problems, and I couldn't imagine having a drinking issue and processing beer from brewing to packaging all day.

Random PMs to me about anything are welcome.

Brimy623, 8ball and SeaGarr like this.
  8. FuenteSmoker

FuenteSmoker Il n'y a pas de fumée san

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow..I love this idea Curtis!! It's things like this that show true character of a person. THIS is what makes this place great. My name is Dave, I'm an alcoholic and a drug addict. I've been sober since January 4, 2001. I don't know it all but I've dealt with a lot. If there's anyone who ever needs to talk or vent, please don't hesitate to pm me.

Dave

Brimy623, 8ball and SeaGarr like this.
  9. zama80

zama80

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for offering to help out Dave. It is greatly appreciated.

Brimy623 likes this.
  10. Clint

Clint Clint Donor 8

Media:
    Albums:
    Great idea!

Sometimes reaching out to someone else who knows what you are going through can be a game changer. If you are even thinking about PMing someone, just do it....it's anonymous and it might help more than you know :)

Brimy623 and SeaGarr like this.
  11. AlohaStyle

AlohaStyle BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13

This thread is great and I have great respect to you guys that are clean/sober and offering help to others. I met my best friend shortly after he went through a rehab program and his goal was to be sober one year. After his year mark he started drinking again when he was with other friends during the weekend. I was sad that he started drinking again (never said that to him) but figured he was a big boy and knew what he was doing. We had many beers together and he was under control. After I moved away, he went back to finish his degree at the U of Colorado and the shit hit the fan again. He has now been sober for around 9 years and is a big advocate in the recovering community. He stays active doing outdoor stuff and I am so proud of where he is today.

Sorry for writing a long post in your thread, but I just wanted to get the point across that if you are struggling with alcoholism, you don't need to be embarrassed about it. There are people out there who are scared to admit they have a problem (which is natural)... I have much respect to the people that take it head on and share their experiences.

Brimy623 and 8ball like this.
  12. Deathskin

Deathskin

You can put me on the list if you want to I'm a drinker but an ex druggie anyone can pm me if they want to talk

Brimy623 likes this.
  13. ChefBoyRG54

ChefBoyRG54 BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014

Media:
    Albums:
    Seriously great thread. I'm always available for any addict in need.

2.13.2006 is my clean date. Always willing to help!

Brimy623 and 8ball like this.
  14. zama80

zama80

Media:
    Albums:
    Saturday morning bump. And it is great to see some interest. Thanks to those who shared stories of friends and loved ones that are in recovery. Have a great day everyone.

15. Doug B

Doug B

This post is a great idea. There are lots of us here that do 'understand' so when you think no one does know that we do.

Please add me to the list- DougB- clean since March 16, 2000 and very involved in my fellowship.

8ball likes this.
  16. zama80

zama80

Media:
    Albums:
    Cool. Thanks Doug, got you on the list.

17. Madcox

Madcox Donor 4

Put me on the list as well. I am an ex meth and opiate head. I've been clean since October 8, 2002. Sometimes people need to talk to other who have chewed some if the same dirt. Excellent thread Brother! I'm game. Thanx

8ball likes this.
  18. Cigar_Benz_Daddy

Cigar_Benz_Daddy

I put down the drink on January 22, 2009. I've been active in my fellowship as well. I'm always available to anyone that may need an ear or a suggestion. Helping someone struggling with the same disease I was born with is truly a blessing. We aren't bad people trying to get good, we're just sick people trying to get well. One day at a time... everyday for the last 5 years.

8ball and SeaGarr like this.
  19. Doug B

Doug B

^ excellent stuff

20. zama80

zama80

Media:
    Albums:
    Awesome brother. Thank you for offering to help.