What's new

Sobriety Thread

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Once, at a conference, during a sobriety countdown, I was one day away from turning 4, and my sponsor made me stand up for 3 lol. But you made it! Thanks for being an example. Congratulations.
Thanks!

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Congrats @Tyler86 ! (y) :cigar: Tell us how you did it. What's working for you?
Honestly, knowing it's not an option anymore is a large part of it. More than anything I quit being selfish and put my family first. My kids need their dad more than I need to drink. Great support network between family and friends.

Oh and meetings to remind a player what happens when you start drinking again never hurt

Thanks guys!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Hey do you guys remember that @ZippoGeek guy? Well, today he has two whole years (in a row) sober! If that guy can do it, anybody can! Congratulations, Jason, and thank you for sharing your sobriety with me! Remember, the keys to lifelong sobriety:
1) Easy Does It
2) Pass It On.
Good job @ZippoGeek !!
I shared what helps me stay sober, YOUR TURN!
Stupid Tapatalk
Congrats to Jason @ZippoGeek on 2 years. I am happy for you my friend.
Thank you brothers! :) Truth be told, I am a QUITTER. I have quit literally everything I have ever made any kind of commitment to. So the fact that I've been able to string together two years without drinking is a flat-out miracle. When I started my step-work, I asked the God of my understanding to give me whatever I needed to keep me sober. His response was, "Okay!!" Since then I haven't missed but a handful of meetings. God gets me down those stairs every day and for that I am grateful. And a grateful drunk doesn't drink.

The three biggest things that have worked for me:

1. I remind myself several times each day that I'm an alcoholic who can't manage his own life. And I'm not a "special" alcoholic. To the contrary, I'm just a garden variety drunk: restless, irritable and discontented. Whenever I think I've got it figured out, I sit my belligerent butt down at the tables and hear exactly what I need to hear that day. The spiritual tool kit has been laid at my feet by wonderful, selfless people (more than I can count).

2. I try to "
remember the worst before my first." I know the first drink will lead me to that "incomprehensible demoralization" that the book talks about. One drink and I will be off and running again -- selfish and self-centered in the extreme.

3. "This business of resentment is infinitely grave." When I feel resentful, there's something wrong with ME. Usually it's because I'm being lax with Step 10, or maintaining my conscious contact / Step 11. Or worse, because I'm not reaching out to other alcoholics / Step 12.

Hope your days are blessed and sober...jason

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Grateful to be a small part of a great whole today. 27 years, ODAAT. Nights and weekends. In a row.

For the past 10 years or so, I've always deflected praise and congratulations as I feel the success belongs to AA and my higher power. Seems to have worked despite me at times. The power of the program; the fellowship; the love, tolerance, and forgiveness; the freedom to stumble my way with grace along this path.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Grateful to be a small part of a great whole today. 27 years, ODAAT. Nights and weekends. In a row..

THAT is a long...freaking...time without a drink!! Hope you have time to burn something great in celebration of the moment. :cigar: I have benefitted immensely from your practicing the principles my friend. And I congratulate you. Godspeed brother! :)

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Grateful to be a small part of a great whole today. 27 years, ODAAT. Nights and weekends. In a row.

For the past 10 years or so, I've always deflected praise and congratulations as I feel the success belongs to AA and my higher power. Seems to have worked despite me at times. The power of the program; the fellowship; the love, tolerance, and forgiveness; the freedom to stumble my way with grace along this path.
Your an AA miracle my friend. I hope you have many many many more ODAAT and never find an excuse to take that first drink.