What's new

Sponsored Retailer Here or Not... This is Ridiculous. JV13?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
Let Cigar King explain it. Then as personal opinion, determine if you accept the response and wish to continue doing business with them. I will no longer support them, and it is unfortunate since I never had a negative thing to say about them prior to this.
yea, sadly i agree. Retailers selling on ebay is really messed up, selling a HTF item for a huge mark up on ebay is even worse. I will wait for cigar king to respond, if they even do, to make a final judgement, but unless they have some really good explanation or heart warming story I won't be using them again.

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
DP: lol. CK will definitely need to answer themselves after you flamed them on every board :) Pretty sad if a retailer has to gouge that much on a dress box... Its a business after all and LE's started this problem to begin with. I'm not really mad. I just won't pay those prices and take my business elsewhere. The monsters release could be my least favorite release of the year...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
SC - I know I'm vocal about this...lol. It just really irks me when the retailers have a dedicated following, and they treat their primary customers like this.

I'm quite interested to see the response; I'm crossing my fingers that it isn't some sad excuse such as 'the IT consultant we hired to manage our eBay sales went rogue on us.' Own up to it, and move on.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I doubt we will hear from them. BrandonP was their voice on here (great guy) and he doesn't work for them anymore.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I'm not sure they have anything to answer to us for. They can do what they want and we can act accordingly. Don't want to buy from them, don't.

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Most of the local guys here in AZ, myself included, could tell you things about Mitch and Cigar King that make this Ebay thing seem small. i have personally not been there in almost 2 years and won't ever go back. I don't feel the need to discuss these topics. At the end of the day the retailer does what he wants and he still sells a ton of cigars. I do not support them and you can decide for yourselves if you wish have dealings with them.

Mike

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm not sure they have anything to answer to us for. They can do what they want and we can act accordingly. Don't want to buy from them, don't.
couldn't have put it better myself. I usually go out of my way to support local B&M but I have stopped supporting B&M for similar types of actions - not that Wisconsin is a hot bed of cigar activity.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I agree with what's been said!!!! Now who's with me in paying the thousand dollars that CK paid to have their ads pulled here!?!?!? Free commerce boys....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Good thread. I'm glad this was brought to light. As members, we all have a choice where to spend our money, clearly. I know a lot of us like to spend with people that support BOTL. Really, this isn't any different from the members that donate to BOTL, and sell shit on other forums (we all know there are guys that will sell shit other places for a large profit). It's nice to know how some of the sponsors act-there are already a couple I refuse to do business with since I feel they are shady companies. If you want to add this to your own list-looks like you have reason.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
This is the cigars business now. It seems that plenty of retailers like to gouge customers and mark things up. I don't know what the profit margins on cigars usually are but for I do know that for many retailers it's a tough business. I can understand smaller outfits trying to make guaranteed profits and high margins where they can. I don't condone it, as that defeats the point of having MSRP pricing in the first place, but a retailer can sell things for whatever they want. I simply won't support those businesses or ever recommend that anybody purchase from them. It seems like cigar king does very well and doesn't need to do this sort of thing, but I highly doubt that they give two shits about what some yahoos on a cigar forum think of what they do.

I made a post a few months ago about a local retailer that marked the UF-13 up to over double the MSRP price. I posted about it on here and there was some flack and Saka himself posted that he would find out about it. He contacted the store and was told that all profits would be donated to their charity. That's absolutely awesome, but it was fishy that nothing was posted up or said about profits being donated at the actual store. It seems like that was more of reaction to catching some heat about what they were doing and then decided to donate profits in the wake of a problem. Either way, I'm glad the money went to a good and noteworthy cause. In the wake of this incident, I'm becoming more relaxed about over retail pricing because there is really and truly nothing that can be done about retailers gouging customers.

Having said all that, I would love to see a CK response to this or a quote from Pete or a Tat rep but I doubt that we'll be that lucky.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
This is very odd. Arizona Fine Time is a sponsor on one of the watch boards I frequent and they have a stellar reputation there, especially as authorized dealers of Grand Seiko watches.

I have a hard time believing they're even going to get $250/non-dress box with as many of those as there are on the street.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Technically they are violating requirement #3 on ebay's tobacco policy which states that the tobacco item for sale must be collectible and must not be available anywhere for retail sale. I have reported all 3 items as illegal tobacco sales. I bet if enough of us do the same that eBay will at least take a look at it and possibly cancel the listings.

I would also suggest that everyone send a nice note to cigar king expressing your dissatisfaction. Nothing speaks louder than a bunch of customers and potential customers telling them you're not going to give them you money.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Really no different than going to a car dealership and them making thousands off of you. Sometimes retailers have great deals and sometimes they dont. They can put whatever price they want on these and if you don't like it, don't buy it. No reason to get upset.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really no different than going to a car dealership and them making thousands off of you. Sometimes retailers have great deals and sometimes they dont. They can put whatever price they want on these and if you don't like it, don't buy it. No reason to get upset.
agreed, and they can get praised or bashed on a public forum.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
agreed, and they can get praised or bashed on a public forum.

They sure can, but alot of people don't realize that there is a large population of people who just smoke cigars, or just sell cigars, and don't have a "brother" of the leaf mindset which is perfectly fine. I personally like the comaraderie and the friendships I have because of this hobby. I do think some BOTL take it a little too far and expect that everybody who sells cigars (both retailers and personal) have to sell at msrp or at a loss or they are terrible people. It's just not always the case. To some its just a business and that's ok. Again, I don't support gouging, and love being a BOTL, but they have no obligation to sell their product at a certain price just because we love this hobby more than they do.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Again, I don't support gouging, and love being a BOTL, but they have no obligation to sell their product at a certain price just because we love this hobby more than they do.
I'd be shocked if somewhere in their vendor agreement with Tatuaje there isn't a clause against this. Otherwise why would any of the 'Unlucky 13' sell boxes to their customers instead of stuffing them on ebay for 3x retail?

Status
Not open for further replies.