What's new

Stanley Cup Final

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Terrible play for Thomas and Chara too. What a shitty ending to a great game.
agreed the game was great... T2 has been awesome and IMO one of MAYBE 3 players who are keeping this Beantown run going... NONE of whom have Been Chara... Chara has Shat the bed this entire playoff Season... Standing still, giveaways, he's done more figure skating in his own end than anything else... and offense... well...

Bigdankcloud

I read your bs... alot
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
agreed the game was great... T2 has been awesome and IMO one of MAYBE 3 players who are keeping this Beantown run going... NONE of whom have Been Chara... Chara has Shat the bed this entire playoff Season... Standing still, giveaways, he's done more figure skating in his own end than anything else... and offense... well...
While I don't necessarily agree with the Chara sentiment (he's been on the ice so much its impossible to say hes done nothing) I do agree that the bruins MUST STOP TURNING THE PUCK OVER IN THE NEUTRAL ZONE/THEIR OWN ZONE:cursing:

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
these ref's were pathetic this game. You can just feel the tension between the two teams on every play. Good news is Boston came out wanting to skate tonight. Wed should be interesting. Wonder what the league will do with the blind hit in the first period...

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
that's his second major of the playoffs, and exactly the kind of cheap, late, blindside they're trying to get rid of. Guarantee he gets suspended for that, and possibly for the rest of the finals.

Last edited:

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
that's his second major of the playoffs, and exactly the kind of cheap, late, blindside they're trying to get rid of. Guarantee he gets suspended for that, and possibly for the rest of the finals.
Disgusting.. There is no room in hockey for hits like that. Rome should be ashamed of the hit he placed on Horton. Horton is done for the playoffs, so should Rome.

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Was nice but it should have been a penalty
In what way? He has the right to defend his crease and he's allowed to legally make a check on the puck carrier. His stick was not in two hands so it was not a cross check. He got him in the chest, so it wasn't a high hit. I'm not seeing where it would have been a penalty.

I could see an argument that Boychuk deserved two for tripping, but the guy was going to get knocked over either way and Boychuk didn't gain enough of a competitive advantage for it to be issued a penalty.

Baldanders

Jim AKA Patty
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
In what way? He has the right to defend his crease and he's allowed to legally make a check on the puck carrier. His stick was not in two hands so it was not a cross check. He got him in the chest, so it wasn't a high hit. I'm not seeing where it would have been a penalty.

I could see an argument that Boychuk deserved two for tripping, but the guy was going to get knocked over either way and Boychuk didn't gain enough of a competitive advantage for it to be issued a penalty.
He was not in the crease when Thomas hit him.

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
He was not in the crease when Thomas hit him.
Still not an illegal check.. He made contact with the puck carrier. Him being a goalie doesn't exclude him from being able to check.

I know Brent refs.. wonder if he can chime in on his take.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I'll rely on my trusty copy of the NHL rulebook, which states:

69.4 Contact Outside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, other than incidental contact, while the goalkeeper is outside his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact.

When a goalkeeper has played the puck outside of his crease and is then prevented from returning to his crease area due to the deliberate actions of an attacking player, such player may be penalized for goalkeeper interference. Similarly, the goalkeeper may be penalized, if by his actions outside of his crease he deliberately interferes with an attacking player who is attempting to play the puck or an opponent.
The only question that comes in to play was, what is your interpretation of where it says "actions outside of his crease"? Now, he's not outside of his crease - but Sedin is....Does that count as actions outside his crease? If not we have to go to rule 69.3:

69.3 Contact Inside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the goalkeeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

If a goalkeeper, in the act of establishing his position within his goal crease, initiates contact with an attacking player who is in the goal crease, and this results in an impairment of the goalkeeper’s ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

If, after any contact by a goalkeeper who is attempting to establish position in his goal crease, the attacking player does not immediately vacate his current position in the goal crease (i.e. give ground to the goalkeeper), and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed. In all such cases, whether or not a goal is scored, the attacking player will receive a minor penalty for goalkeeper interference.

If an attacking player establishes a significant position within the goal crease, so as to obstruct the goalkeeper’s vision and impair his ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

For this purpose, a player “establishes a significant position within the crease” when, in the Referee’s judgment, his body, or a substantial portion thereof, is within the goal crease for more than an instantaneous period of time.
fwiw, I thought it should have been a penalty, but I can see where the ref may have just frozen in the moment. Trust me it's a lot easier to explain that you 'blew' a call than it is to explain to a coach why you've put his team down a man for a penalty that you're not even sure exists.

Last edited:

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
ha. Who needs Colin Campbell/Mike Murphy/Brendan Shanahan...I should do NHL discipline
Vancouver Canucks defenceman Aaron Rome has been suspended four games for his late hit on Boston Bruins forward Nathan Horton in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final on Monday.

Early in the first period, Horton crossed the red line and made a pass when Rome delivered the hit well after the pass was made.

After lying motionless on the ice for several minutes, Horton was taken off on the stretcher. Rome was assessed five-minute major for interference and a 10-minute game misconduct.

Horton was taken to hospital, but was alert and able to move all his extremities. Earlier today, Horton was released from hospital but he will miss the rest of the series with a severe concussion.

"Two factors were considered in reaching this decision," said NHL senior vice president of hockey operations Mike Murphy. "The hit by Rome was clearly beyond what is acceptable in terms of how late it was delivered after Horton had released the puck and it caused a significant injury."

This was Rome's second game misconduct of the Stanley Cup playoffs, with the last one coming in the Western Conference Final series against the San Jose Sharks. It is the third game misconduct on Rome this season and the fourth of his career.

The last player to receive a suspension in the Stanley Cup Final was Anaheim Ducks defenceman Chris Pronger, who sat out one game for a hit on Ottawa's Dean McAmmond in 2007.

Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final is scheduled for Wednesday night in Boston.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=368125

Ed Monton

Sir Winston
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
No one I follow and I follow a lot of hockey writers, has suggested the body check by Thomas should have been a penalty.