What's new

started the process...All done, lots of photos in last post.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Where did you come across this slab of pork? The past few years my dad has been into many meat creations such as pastrami, slow smoked pulled pork, cured hams, etc. He manages to find stabs of meet from a local butcher for real cheap. He also does plenty with venison that he "collects" himself during the season.

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Where did you come across this slab of pork? The past few years my dad has been into many meat creations such as pastrami, slow smoked pulled pork, cured hams, etc. He manages to find stabs of meet from a local butcher for real cheap. He also does plenty with venison that he "collects" himself during the season.
A good supermarket with a butcher should be able to get it. I got this at Penn Dutch, I saw they had cut up pork belly, So I asked if i could get an un-cut half of a belly, as I didn't need 8-10lbs of bacon(well I really did, but I figure 3-3.5lbs of baconny goodness should suffice.) I also was in an italian market and i saw cut up pork belly again...I assume you can find some at a spanish meat market or a oriental market as they both use pork belly in a lot of things.

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Here goes...

about an hour and a half smoking time...

very mild bacon, in the future I will add more seasoning, and perhaps leave the skin on until done cooking...

about 2.8lbs of bacon, which all sliced is about 5 baggies full, 4 of those are in the freezer. 1 in the fridge. If it doesn't look pink like most bacon it's because I didn't use pink salt(no nitrates)

so here goes:

proper shirt for the occasion

Rinsed and patted dry

on the smoker

getting Smokey in here

about 45 minutes in

Sliced and ready to cook

start of a good thing

Flipped, notice the liquid, unlike most store bought bacon this is pure bacon fat.

My own BLT Bacon Lettuce and Turkey.

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
LOL... Still drooling over the bacon!

Great job brutha!! :thumbsup:

More pepper next time!!
thinking a lot more pepper, and maybe some other seasonings...but for a first time, no bad and all, and I repeat ALL will be devoured.

Wow! Great looking stuff. I'll PM you my address so you can bomb me with a few pounds ;)
lol, as inexpensive as it is and simple to do, I'm surprised more people don't do this...

Is that wild boar bacon? Or just regular piggy bacon?
just good old fashioned ms. piggy. I assume boar would be gamier.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
This little piggy went to market,
This little piggy stayed at home,
This little piggy had roast beef,
This little piggy had none.
And this little piggy got chopped the f up, smoked and devoured by theribdoctor
The End

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Nice work brother. When I was little I lived on a pig farm (up until I was 12) and we used to make our own all the time. I wish I still had the recipe, but you've encouraged me to do this myself.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild boar isn't any gamer as long as you kill a younger one, we shoot them all the time back home. Take the younger ones back to the smoker.... Good times

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I must have missed this thread!

Come on...who doesn't love bacon! Especially home made bacon!

Mmmmmm. I think I'll try it too.