What's new

Storage and mold

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I bought some Anejo Sharks this Christmas and put them in the humi. I later read where people were beginning to find mold on this yr's release so I checked mine closer. Sure enough, there was mold in some way on just about every one I had. I went to a nearby B&M store and got a Shark box to keep them in. I have exactly ten which fills the bottom row perfectly. I removed all cello and cleaned them off good. I then put them in the box, by themselves and check them regularly. No other mold has shown up. So now I have two questions 1) Should I now expect they are okay and won't get more mold because they are being stored properly. 2) Should I not have them in the igloodor even tho they are in their own box? I forgot to mention that before I put them in the box, I kept them in a ziplock for a couple weeks to make sure they were okay.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
i know some of the other brothers here have had problems with mold on there Anejo's. ive got a couple and i keep checking them and as of yet, no mold.

and if you had some mold on them, i would definatly keep em away from your other smokes. (keep em in a different room just to be safe) lol

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I agree with Matt. I would isolate them in a separate cooler, but not in a small desktop humi. Chlorine bleach is a sure fire way to make sure that there are not any mold spores in the cooler, (see http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=8917)). Mold spores are infinitely more difficult to get out of spanish cedar. All fuzzy green and black sticks go into solitary confinement.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Tough call on a tough break, I would have returned the box to the vendor. You didn't so here's what I'd do, throw em out. If that isn't something you plan on doing then isolate from the rest of your sticks at optimum conditions. Wait to see if the mold re-appears. The problem with mold isn't what you can see on the wrapper, it's what you can't see underneath the wrapper. If it's inside the stick do you really want to smoke it? I know most will disagree with throwing them out and that's cool. This old man ain't smokin no moldy cigars especially if there are other people with the same problem with that particular cigar. Life's to short to smoke suspect shit cigars, you'll be waitin for it taste bad the whole stick.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Ever wonder why turn of the century humidors were copper lined?

The copper inhibits the groth the same way silver will. Not sure why, but it does,only cheaper. The best thing is to use a sheet of copper from a hobby store and either cut it to fit inside your box or get enough to cover one whole side of the inside of your humidor.

I can't find the link that explains it better, but it works almost the same way as a colloidal works.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Ever wonder why turn of the century humidors were copper lined?

The copper inhibits the groth the same way silver will. Not sure why, but it does,only cheaper. The best thing is to use a sheet of copper from a hobby store and either cut it to fit inside your box or get enough to cover one whole side of the inside of your humidor.

I'll look for a link that explains it better than I can.
Copper indeed is a fungal pathogen.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I know for certain that copper is used in bandages to protect wounds as well as additives to wood for construction.

It's added to a lot of paints as well.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Sharks must be shipped wet from the factory is best I can figure. Maybe all sharks need to be given the icebox treatment like some folks do to kill beetles or dry boxed before going into the regular humidors. I only have the sand shark and would be PISSED if this single goes to mold. I am watching it closely now.

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Sharks must be shipped wet from the factory is best I can figure. Maybe all sharks need to be given the icebox treatment like some folks do to kill beetles or dry boxed before going into the regular humidors. I only have the sand shark and would be PISSED if this single goes to mold. I am watching it closely now.
ditto...it's the only shark I own and I wasn;t planning on lighting it up until it's taken a nap for about a year!

in fact, I think I'm gonna go check on it!

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
So the mold spores could potentially get out even if the shark box is closed? Well just in case out these go. I think it really does stink that these and alot of others are infected. I have also seen this mentioned elsewhere, and to my knowledge there has been narry a peep from the Fuentes on this matter...I could be wrong though.