What's new

Storage and mold

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Mould on the outer surface of the wrapper shouldn't really affect the taste of a cigar, as long as it's brushed off before it gets too bad. If you need a weed-eater to remove the mould, it's not worth it; if it's a few tiny little patches, just dust it off and keep it in a somewhat cooler environment to prevent regrowth. Now if the mould is on the foot and into the body of the cigar it might not be smokable, or may taste a bit more like a salad than a cigar. <G>

I don't let my humidor get higher than 71 degrees, and it mostly stays around 68 degrees. In the past five years I've had mould (or is "mold" the correct spelling?) on only six cigars and they all stored and smoked fine after cleaning them off.

Thanks.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
just check, and segregated, my sand sharks. 2 had noticeble growth, very little, wiped off. i've never had mold problems. crud

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Here is a question for all of you shark owners, do you or did you keep your sharks in the cello of a long period of time? I bought mine before christmas from Holt's. and since I am not a fan of cello I took mine out and put it to rest with the rest of my sticks. Thus far I have had no problems with my shark and mold. Yep, just double checked so I wouldn't look like an ass if I were wrong. So might it be a cello type issue?

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Here is a question for all of you shark owners, do you or did you keep your sharks in the cello of a long period of time? I bought mine before christmas from Holt's. and since I am not a fan of cello I took mine out and put it to rest with the rest of my sticks. Thus far I have had no problems with my shark and mold. Yep, just double checked so I wouldn't look like an ass if I were wrong. So might it be a cello type issue?
i keep em in the cello, though i removed from the sand sharks. i have a mixed box of them from 02 and 04. still in cellos. they're doing just fine!

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Wonder why both the sand and regular sharks have mold. Someone from the Fuentes should address this no? I can remember even some as far back as last fathers day with mold on them. Just weird.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
My one and only sand shark is fine thank goodness.

Donk, "long time" is a relative thing. Some call 6 months a long time. When talking long time for cigars, most folks think in terms of multiple of years. Anytime my sticks come in cello I leave it on. Keeps the wrapper in better shape and helps age the sticks better too. Only reason I see removing the cello is for cosmetic reasons or to allow more air and oxygen to speed up aging. Neither of those reason is good enough for me to ever remove the cello.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Wonder why both the sand and regular sharks have mold. Someone from the Fuentes should address this no? I can remember even some as far back as last fathers day with mold on them. Just weird.

Too much moisture when rolling the sharks is all I can think of as stated earlier. I have limited experience with Fuente products. Other brothers say only the sharks there having issues with. If I were one of them, I would go back to where I bought them from to seek help. If that does not work I would take up this issue with Fuente if possible.

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Okay, so here's what I did. I took one of the Sharks out and figured I'd do the unthinkable to find out what's on the inside...disection. Sure enough there were spots. Tiny ones mind you but they were there. I'd hate to think what those few would be like in about 4 years. Other than that the cigar was beautiful. I think I counted seven big leaves. No small or even medium filler. It's a shame really. I think I won't be able to throw them out (garbage), but I will smoke them quick.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Mould on the outer surface of the wrapper shouldn't really affect the taste of a cigar, as long as it's brushed off before it gets too bad. If you need a weed-eater to remove the mould, it's not worth it; if it's a few tiny little patches, just dust it off and keep it in a somewhat cooler environment to prevent regrowth. Now if the mould is on the foot and into the body of the cigar it might not be smokable, or may taste a bit more like a salad than a cigar. <G>

I don't let my humidor get higher than 71 degrees, and it mostly stays around 68 degrees. In the past five years I've had mould (or is "mold" the correct spelling?) on only six cigars and they all stored and smoked fine after cleaning them off.

Thanks.

ok. im quoting this mostly on a question i have on the taking a cigar thats starting to sprout the smallest hint of mold, wiping it down and placing it in a cooler environment. so if a guy would freeze his questionable smoke, would it kill the spores all together?? kinda like freezing to kill beetles?? :dunno:

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Okay, so here's what I did. I took one of the Sharks out and figured I'd do the unthinkable to find out what's on the inside...disection. Sure enough there were spots. Tiny ones mind you but they were there. I'd hate to think what those few would be like in about 4 years. Other than that the cigar was beautiful. I think I counted seven big leaves. No small or even medium filler. It's a shame really. I think I won't be able to throw them out (garbage), but I will smoke them quick.
PICTURES!!!

We need pictures of the dissected shark!!!!

:argh:

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
ok. im quoting this mostly on a question i have on the taking a cigar thats starting to sprout the smallest hint of mold, wiping it down and placing it in a cooler environment. so if a guy would freeze his questionable smoke, would it kill the spores all together?? kinda like freezing to kill beetles?? :dunno:
Sorry, but mold spores are resilient creatures and standard freezing won't kill them. You'd have to take temperatures low enough that the cell walls of the tobacco leaves would rupture, ruining the taste of the cigar. But burning does kill the mold spores quite effectively. <G> I'd estimate that there are mold spores present in most cigars, but unless they sprout and start growing they go unnoticed. As far as I know they are tasteless and harmless also.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I thought I would check since this is one of those things that is misunderstood until you see it for yourself. Are you sure the tiny white spots on the inside were not plume? If they were tiny flat specs it was most likely plume. Mold usually has a a raised dimension to it.

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I thought I would check since this is one of those things that is misunderstood until you see it for yourself. Are you sure the tiny white spots on the inside were not plume? If they were tiny flat specs it was most likely plume. Mold usually has a a raised dimension to it.
Definately not plume. I couldn't tell if there were raised dimensions, but no doubt as to what it was. Plume I understand to be a more evenly distributed and there was nothing even about this. I'm sure microscopicaly it would have those raised dimensions you were speaking of. There was one thing I left out of my original post because of, well to be quite honest, embarrasment. Some of the sharks (not all) when I originally noticed the mold had some on the foot. I scrubbed real good on the ends of those sticks hoping maybe it wasn't on the inside. After I posted, I realized the likelihood of there not being mold on the inside of at least some was very slim. So, what I hope to do is get someone a little more computer literate and do one more and take pictures this time. I'll keep yall posted.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Ok I just had to check.

Also if plume is in the early stages it can be very sporadic in distribution, I have seen this. I haven't seen mold on the inside of a cigar but I would guess that it would pull apart and be on both sides of the opposing leafs, if you get what I'm saying. Did you see anything like this?

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Mold is a nasty thing that I would hate to see on any of my sticks. I guess that's why I don't have them in drawers anymore and keep them in boxes.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
LOL I know you do and believe me I thought about it. Thing is I'm not literate when it comes to uploading pictures and the like. I'll try and get someone at work today that can help me accomplish this.
You can email them to me if you'd like, and I'll host 'em -n- post 'em for ya. :clap:

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Well after following this thread I finally put my Anejo's under closer inspection last night. I have bad news! Of the 2 dozen or so I purchased in the last 2-3 months I'd say 80% have mold on them! Needless to say I am not happy. I removed them from my NC humi and bagged them. I contacted Holts to see if I can return them. I'll keep you posted on that.

Since I'm not sure that every BOTL, that this could effect, is following this thread I am going to start a new one with "Anejo and Mold in the subject line. I will post my follow-ups in that thread.