What's new

Storing a desktop in a Wineador

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Just a quick one, this storage option will be short term while I'm restocking; but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

I have an adorini chianti duluxe desktop humidor:

And a small Dome wine cooler that was practically free :

The humidity is great in the adorini desktop right now and I'm going to be rushed for time before I can set up the wineador.
Living in sunny QLD the adorini needs cooling, can anyone see any problem with just putting the desktop inside the wineador on a short term basis. Effectively it will be a sealed space within a sealed space but it will ensure the ambient temp inside the desktop is bang on.

Can't see why it wouldn't work for now... any objections guys?

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
The Wine cooler utilizes Thermoelectric cooling correct?
If its a compressor model you could have problems.
I'll have to check when I get home mate, could you expand on what the problem would be?
Sorry mate don't have a very good understanding of the different cooling systems.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I believe it is beneficial. Put a few bovedas in the desktop. This would help seperate the cigars from the conditioned air. Rh will drop when the cooling unit runs. Doesnt matter if its thermoelectric or a condensor. Keeping the cigars buffered from that rh drop would be ideal

I would also put beads or kitty litter in the cooler.

Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I'll have to check when I get home mate, could you expand on what the problem would be?
Sorry mate don't have a very good understanding of the different cooling systems.
From what I've read in numerous posts regarding Wineadors they all state the same, it has to do with the type of cooling...you can do a search or check the sticky here : http://www.botl.org/threads/wine-cooler-101.35811/
it states...."Normal refrigerated units (compressor models) will actually draw the moisture out of your cigars, thermoelectric units prevent this from happening."
Sorry I don't know the technical reasons as to why...hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I believe it is beneficial. Put a few bovedas in the desktop. This would help seperate the cigars from the conditioned air. Rh will drop when the cooling unit runs. Doesnt matter if its thermoelectric or a condensor. Keeping the cigars buffered from that rh drop would be ideal

I would also put beads or kitty litter in the cooler.
Ok, thanks for the tip. The Humidor currently has 3 69RH Bovedas in it, I will add kitty litter also.

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
From what I've read in numerous posts regarding Wineadors they all state the same, it has to do with the type of cooling...you can do a search or check the sticky here : http://www.botl.org/threads/wine-cooler-101.35811/
it states...."Normal refrigerated units (compressor models) will actually draw the moisture out of your cigars, thermoelectric units prevent this from happening."
Sorry I don't know the technical reasons as to why...hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.
But if my cigars are in the sealed humidor would that not reduce it? I know its not a perfectly sealed environment but I could take the humidor out when I air them.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
add kitty liter to the wine cooler and leave the bovedws in the humidor. Also, compressor models could be made to work. I am one of the few that would rather have a compreesor wine cooler.

Rating - 100%
119   0   0
@hot grits could be right.... I'm far from an expert on this subject, just pointed out what I read. If you have a properly calibrated hygrometer it cant hurt to give it a try (y)

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Funny this thread came up. Certain cigars smoke better at lower Rh than others. I've considered doing this to separate the two. Ultimately, I'll just buy another wineador but I'm trying to be a good boy.

I wonder though, if the Rh of the wineador is 69%, would I be able to keep the Rh of the humidor contained in the wineador at a lower Rh? This will be an interesting experiment.

Boosted

War Eagle!!!
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Back when I didn't worry about storage, I kept my desktop in my wineador. I had a few 65% Bovedas in there, and I also had a hygrometer that was linked to my wireless weather station, and it worked great. When the cooling unit kicked on, I would drop humidity in the wine cooler, but the desktop held at 64-65%. Keeping in boxes or desktop really helps the buffering in humidity.

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Back when I didn't worry about storage, I kept my desktop in my wineador. I had a few 65% Bovedas in there, and I also had a hygrometer that was linked to my wireless weather station, and it worked great. When the cooling unit kicked on, I would drop humidity in the wine cooler, but the desktop held at 64-65%. Keeping in boxes or desktop really helps the buffering in humidity.
I got a little humi Bill bombed me in my wineador. No issues really other than it takes up more storage space, but i like it in there.
Thanks for the head up guys, I will be sure to give it a go.

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
So the experiment so far has really surprised me.

After 2 days the humidity is rising inside the humidor which is inside the cooler.
There is a humidifier and 3 x 69RH bovedas ( always has been and has been holding 69RH perfectly prior to being put in the cooler) in the humidor but no humidity control in the wine cooler.

I will keep an eye and see if it levels out.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I wouldnt trust that analog hygrometer.. it is highly likely that is way off in its reading..

find a digital hygro that is able to be calibrated.. run a calibration test.. and then once you get it accurately set... put it in the wino for a day or so...

only then will you really know what your RH is.. (Im going to bet the hygro you currently are using reads 3-5 points low.. and that you are actually currently sitting somewhere around 69 RH right now.. and have been low in the past when you thought you were really at 69)...

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I wouldnt trust that analog hygrometer.. it is highly likely that is way off in its reading..

find a digital hygro that is able to be calibrated.. run a calibration test.. and then once you get it accurately set... put it in the wino for a day or so...

only then will you really know what your RH is.. (Im going to bet the hygro you currently are using reads 3-5 points low.. and that you are actually currently sitting somewhere around 69 RH right now.. and have been low in the past when you thought you were really at 69)...
Think you have trust issues.

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Ok i was under the impression the adorini hair hygrometers were quite accurate.

I did calibrate it and it was out by 3 points so i adjusted the screw to 75.

Im hoping its right. Anyone on the pro-hair-type hygrometer side of the argument that wants to weigh in?