What's new

Suit recommendations

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm currently in the process of applying, and hopefully interviewing, for a new job but am facing a predicament.
Since I quit drinking a few years ago I have lost a good amount of weight, and now my suit does not fit me. The tailor said the alterations would be too extensive and that it's not worth the time or money.
I know quite a few of you on here are knowledgable about suits, and I'm hoping you can help recommend one, or point me in the direction of one.
Here are some requirements:
I'm on a budget, so $200 is my max (if that is possible, if not, let me know).
I would like this suit to look good years from now, not go out of style next year. Does that make sense?
That seems to be about it, but if you think I should have more specifics, please point me in the right direction.
Like I said, I don't have much experience with this, so any help is appreciated!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Ian -- "Jacque Penney" always has suits on sale, and they're pretty decent. I will second the recommendation from Doug that you keep it darker and conservative; charcoal or blue. A crisp, vertical striped shirt and snappy (but not too ostentatious) tie will say, "I have class, but I'm not a self-engrossed idiot." ;)

Now's the time to buy brother...big sales are underway. (y)

What job is the potential interview for?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
You can get something from Combatant Gentleman (it's an online suit store) and have it tailored a bit; it would still be in your price range.
Fabric quality is pretty run-of-the-mill for cheap suits, but they seem to cut them well (comparatively).

Charcoal or Navy is good to go.

eta: https://www.combatgent.com/suits $120.00 options are at the bottom of the page

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
You can get something from Combatant Gentleman (it's an online suit store) and have it tailored a bit; it would still be in your price range.
Fabric quality is pretty run-of-the-mill for cheap suits, but they seem to cut them well (comparatively).

Charcoal or Navy is good to go.

eta: https://www.combatgent.com/suits $120.00 options are at the bottom of the page
Thanks for the site.. I wasn't even in the market for new suits but now i have a site lol

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the input!
@ZippoGeek, I'm hoping to land a job teaching outside of the city. The schools have better resources for students, more organization, and the maximum pay is much higher. Since we had our daughter my wife and I have realized that raising her in Philly is not what we want. The schools are terrible (even where I teach is beginning to fall into the same patterns as the other schools in Philly), and the violence throughout the city is ridiculous. In addition, what you get here and what you get outside the city in terms of real estate can't even compare (no chance of having a grass yard in the city).

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
@ZippoGeek, I'm hoping to land a job teaching outside of the city. The schools have better resources for students, more organization, and the maximum pay is much higher. Since we had our daughter my wife and I have realized that raising her in Philly is not what we want. The schools are terrible (even where I teach is beginning to fall into the same patterns as the other schools in Philly), and the violence throughout the city is ridiculous. In addition, what you get here and what you get outside the city in terms of real estate can't even compare (no chance of having a grass yard in the city).
Good luck brother. I'm shooting prayers up so things work out for the best for your family! :)

Rating - 100%
47   0   0

Good luck bro! Hope you land it! Funny how starting a family makes you think about things and everything you never thought of in a whole other way completely different.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Good luck brother. I'm shooting prayers up so things work out for the best for your family! :)
Thanks Jason!
Good luck bro! Hope you land it! Funny how starting a family makes you think about things and everything you never thought of in a whole other way completely different.
It's so crazy how it completely changes your view on everything. I used to like that Philly is gritty and tough, but now I want my daughter to have no part of that!

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Ian -- "Jacque Penney" always has suits on sale, and they're pretty decent. I will second the recommendation from Doug that you keep it darker and conservative; charcoal or blue. A crisp, vertical striped shirt and snappy (but not too ostentatious) tie will say, "I have class, but I'm not a self-engrossed idiot." ;)

Now's the time to buy brother...big sales are underway. (y)

What job is the potential interview for?
I could not agree more, they aren't the big name suits, but they will do. I wear a suit once a year and bought it off the rack at JC Penny and had to have the pants altered which cost me like $10. You can always find a discount coupon at their website before you go and save like 20% even if it's on discount already. If I wore suits on the regular I would look at tailored suits, but just starting out and needing one, off the rack with option of tailoring is what I would do.