What's new

Sultan cigar review thread

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Blistering hot afternoon heat pelts the front porch as I try to escape the sun’s rays underneath an umbrella ; the humidity is high and it is difficult just to sit outside comortably, regardless, a friend has joined me for a smoke so I decided to make the best of it with a review. This cigar comes courtesy of Ron(Shuckins).

Unfortunately I have very little information on this cigar other than the fact it is a robusto with origins in Java, but I will try my best.

The wrapper has a very smooth leather-tan appearance, small veins dot the surface everywhere while more prominent ones run the length of the body. These veins are rather faint in appearance so I don’t believe they will cause any burn issues, although time will tell. This cigar appears be constructed well, it has a spongy feel between the fingers but not enough give to suggest a bad draw or an improper roll.

Pre light: After moistening the cap, it comes off easily and cleanly producing a smooth draw; nuances here consist mostly of cedar, spice and mild tobacco, while the fragrances from the wrapper and foot are identical.

Lighting: The foot cherries quickly under jet flame and lights easily producing large plumes of creamy smoke, on which are carried smooth notes of sweet tobacco, cedar - very mild as far as lighting in general is concerned.

First third: This cigar remains quite mild for the majority of the first third, retaining its sweet and cedar notes as dominant flavours until about 2 thirds of the way through where spice appeared. The retro-hale on the other hand is surprisingly complex given the mild nature of draw, fragrances of cedar, spice and almond dominate throughout, while the ambient burn exhibits a sweet floral fragrances, coupled with almond undertones, an extraordinarily vibrant gift to the senses. Over all the burn was relatively consistent, there were some minor issues and some blistering at the edge of the burn line but nothing that warranted a touch up; ash held for about an inch.

Second Third: Overall, the second third was very consistent in contrast with the first, the only notable differences being the addition of toasted almond notes and the deepening of the existing spice on the draw. The ash continued to hold well for about an inch to an inch and a half at the end of the second third; any potential burn issues that were present during the first third have cleared up, although, there is minor blistering and the ash itself is quite spindly and unsightly.

Final third: Until this point the draw has been exceedingly smooth, smoking coolly with superb consistency; within a few draws this would change abruptly. Without warning the burn became hot, almost uncomfortable; almost simultaneously the flavour profile changed drastically. Cedar and almond that had been present for the majority of the cigar disappeared almost immediately, leaving only a spicy espresso that lingered well after the draw was expelled. The retro-hale also became noticeably sharper, again dropping the cedar and almond present throughout the first and second thirds, leaving only spice. Changes in the draw aside, the physical attributes of the of the burn remaining free of any serious issues, though the as dropped ash every quarter inch until the finish.

Final thoughts: Although my smoking experience was rather enjoyable for the most part, I found that this particular cigar left me with a little to be desired. It came out brilliantly in the first third with a wonderful bouquet of notes and fragrances, the consistency was good, but it lacked significant change until the finish which came about abruptly and was almost uncomfortable in comparison. Given the unusual nature of burn in the finale, I would have to say almost for certain that this is due to a defect in the filler and is likely unfairly representative to the quality of this line.

Cheers,
Shawn

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi Shawn,

Sorry for coming late in this thread, just got news from Ron about this threads :)

Let me introduce my self, I am Yan, the sultan cigar owner and producer. Thank you very much for your good review and your time for testing my cigar creation. I really appreciate it. You did well Shawn, got some good input reading your reviews, it's a proffesional review from you.

I agree with you this cigar is a medium cigar with full tobacco flavour. Sultan cigar created from the originally blending and taste of cigar for King of Java Kingdom. I keep it original with purpose giving an original cigar van java, an original java cigar :)

No argue for the final third, "became hot at the end". Most cigars will become hot at the end. Hopefully you can still enoyed it and put this issue as a minor issue.

For the spicy at the end, you are complettely rigth. I created it to make a little hit on tongue at the end, i call it "Indonesian spicy".

Overall, thanks Shawn for trying sultan cigar. Enjoy the nobility of Java.

Best regards,
Yan-Sultan Cigar

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Smoking the last part of the Sultan as I write. First off thanks for the opportunity to try this stick guys - I really appreciate it.

The construction of the stick is very good, nice light wrapper with a bit of an oily sheen to it, great aroma, even the wife enjoyed it and she usually doesn't care for the scent of a cigar. Nice firm roll with plenty of filler. I really like the cap, I use a v-cut which sometimes will tear up the wrapper if the cap isn't just right. This cut through solid and the stick stayed firm at the end. Big bonus points from me there.

Lit up perfectly, didn't have a single burn issue at all. As for flavor, I would say it's definitely a mild taste - I was surprised to see someone else say it almost had a citrus-like taste, which I definitely picked up on as well. The ash was a beautiful light color, and held very firm all the way through. Gave off a medium amount of smoke, no draw problems at all - pleasant aftertaste on the pallet, nice to not get that tar like feeling where you want to brush your teeth 10mins after you finish.

The ooonly thing I will say I wasn't a fan of here was the band. I know it's me being super nitpicky but I didn't like the part underneath where it said "Hand Made Long Filler Aged Tobacco". I really don't know why it bothered me, just seemed like one of those things where I prefer to see you build a brand and let it stand on it's own as far as quality cigars. Let the "Sultan" band become synonymous with a quality cigar and good smoking experience and I will put my trust in the quality of tobacco you use. Anyway, like I say I know it's minor, I just didn't want to have 'nothing' to be critical of.

All in all, it's definitely a nice cigar, one that would pair well with a morning cup of coffee or glass of water after breakfast. I would definitely be interested in getting more if a group buy were to happen.

Thanks again fellas :tiphat:

Hi Bdc30,

Thank you very much for your good review and your time for trying my cigar creation :) Me also really appreciate what you have done :)

This is the first time got input for the band of sultan, no argue from me to againts your opinion. Defenetly that is a good input for sultan, thank you very much :)

I like your words "Let the "Sultan" band become synonymous with a quality cigar and good smoking experience and I will put my trust in the quality of tobacco you use."
Even it is a minor issue, I will sit at my desk with my designer to figure it out :) Thanks again.

Best regards,
Yan-Sultan Cigar

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The first thing i noticed about the cigar, was how nice it looked. A nice sheen and even color of the tobacco. The Band is elegant yet simple. Ran it under my nose and it reminded me of a fresh cut hay field (flashback to my youth lol).

Cut and prelight draw was good. Toasted the foot and light it up, got a real acidic taste the first few draws, i cant really say what it reminded me of, but i didnt like it. After that it got better, it had a real earthy taste to me. It stayed that way thru 2/3 of the stick, burned nice, good ash ( as stated before...like hickory bark) and the earty taste.
For the last 1/3 it went down hill for me. the real acidic taste came back and the cigar got really loose.

As you read my review please take into account that i am a Newb (less than a year smoking cigars). Having said that thank you to Shuckins and Yan for the chance to do this. Would i smoke another Sultan...sure thing...but there are too many sticks out there i have yet to try it will be awhile before i revisit it. Again thanks for the opportunity of trying it.
Hi Bigbill,

Thanks for you too for your time trying sultan cigar, i really appreciate what you have done :) Btw, you did review well :)

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i am not very good at reviews but here we go

pre light i was very impressed with the wrapper and it's lack of flaws with such light colored wrappers i have seen this become an issue before. The draw had no issues and was quite mild but balanced with no hay or green features.

the ash was very unique as well very light colored and the burn was very close to perfect. The ash held on for more than a inch twice. the smoke was quite nice and full which was also a suprise

as for flavor i would consider this cigar very mild but not boring as i find some m ild cigars. it had a moderate amount of flavor and taste. this cigar is not a cigar that i would smoke every day due to it not being in my flavor profile but i would smoke again and i would wonder if there are different blends that this company makes, i would try more due to the fact that i am happy with the first one i have had.

thanks for allowing me to try and review your cigar and thanks to Ron of r putting this together
Hi Tatuaje Guy,

Who said you are not very good at reviews?? You did well, really :) Thank you very much for trying and reviewing my cigar. No argue if sultan not being in your profile taste, but thanks you still can enjoy smoking sultan, really appreciate it.

I created sultan with original blending and taste of my king, King of Java Kingdom, it doesnt changed at all sice i want to keep it original with purpose giving cigar lover the trully of java tobacco blend and taste, the taste of java, a noble cigar from java.

Totally agree it's a mild cigar with full flavour and taste of java tobacco. Sure i have another creation of cigar medium to heavy.Maybe in the future i will release it to the market, but with different band since i want to keep sultan with its original blend and taste :)

Sultan have 2 types of sizes, Churchill (as original size), and robusto.

Enjoy your sultan, feel the nobility of Java.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
First a big thanks to Yan and Shuckins!

The Sultan measured 5 x 48 and was wrapped with a smooth tan leaf with a light oily shean. Construction was excellet, firm with no hard or soft spots.

The per light aroma of the cigar is nice, sweet tobacco and hay is best way I can descibe it.

I cut the cap and took a dry draw, it drew very well. I toasted the foot and got down to the fun part. The first draw gave nice toasted tobbacco notes with a hint of citrus. Upon exhale there was what I can only describe as a slight drying effect like you get from a good semi dry wine.

The cigar was very well balanced with the toasted tobbaco notes and hint of citrus flavor staying all the way to the end. The ash stayed firm and the burn was straight. The aroma of the smoke was also nice.

Overall the Sultan was a very good cigar, mild but with good a flavors.

Hi derfatdutchman,

Thank you very much for your nice review! I really appreciate it and your time for trying my creation. Keep smoke and feel the nobility of Java with Sultan cigar.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
burned mine tonight. didn't want anything heavy so thought this would be the opportune time. prelight was just a slight musty. had me a little worried as i don't care for that flavor at all. but once it was lit, there was no evidence of that at all. it stayed smooth and had a nice creamy grassy flavor all the way to the end. it was a tad tight at th start, but not difficult to draw at all. it opened up after the first third and drew easily the rest of the way. no burn issues what so ever. just the right amount of smoke and a touch of pepper with retrohale.
i have to say i wasn't holding real high expectations for this stick, but if it were available readily, i would probably have it in regular rotation. i'm glad i got to try it. thanks for the opportunity! you guys that lean more towards the medium sticks should really enjoy this.
Hi hdroadglide,

Thank you very much! You did well in reviewing my cigar. Really thanks and appreciate your time for trying sultan.

The group buy will open by Ron "Shuckins" i think as he informed PM, do not forget to join :)

Enjoy smoking and feel the nobility of Java with Sultan Cigar.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It didnt take long for this one to get the spark. I need to get a better camera but my phone works for now.

The pre light was a bit of hay and sweet grass

The first third started off great with creamy wood. The burn was straight and the ash was tight. The draw was just right. Toward the end of this third a toasted flavor slid in the side door.

The second third I like the smell that its giving off just sitting in the ash tray. The flavors remain consistant. The burn is good but the ash is flaking off like hickory bark. The taste turned slightly nutty with a hint of some thing that I cant pin point.

Last third The nut flavor got stonger and the wood flavor is still hangin out. At about 4.5 /6 it got very harsh and i gave up the fight.

This had some good flavors that like and some that i could pick out. I would smoke this again.
Total time was 1:30

My favorite part was the smell before it was lit and when it was burning in the ash tray!

Thank you for this opportunity
I cant wait to see everyone elses reviews

Hi secretsquirrel,

Thank you very much for your review and your time for trying sultan. Your review is very good, thanks! Youdid a wide smoking time range 1:30, seems that you really enjoy the sultan :)

Thanks again.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Upon first inspection it's obvious the Sultan cigar is well constructed. It's dense as hell and filled to the brim with tobacco. The wrapper is lined with small veins and has an oily sheen. It has an intoxicating aroma: that wonderful barnyard smell that we all love.

After a quick toasting and light, the cigar hits the ground running in the flavor department. I was surprised by just how flavorful the Sultan was within the first few draws. A clean and light smoke coats your palate with flavors of oak, sweet tobacco, and a white pepper note. It isn't exactly the kind of pepper note you get from a Pepin cigar, but rather that lighter pepper note you get with a CAO VR.

While the draw was a bit tight at first, it soon loosens up and the smoke output is increased. It doesn't bellow out huge plumes of smoke, but it's an adequate amount.

As it burns into the second third, the Sultan goes from a very mild smoke to a medium-bodied smoke. The burn is absolutely laser sharp and the ash stays on for a good while before needing knocked off. The flavors transition a little bit: while they're still primarily that of oak, sweet tobacco, and a white pepper note, they go on to incorporate the flavors of roasted nuts and coffee. These flavors are in the background and not nearly as pronounced as the initial flavors.

The Sultan is a damn fine mild to medium-bodied cigar (leaning towards mild). It's extremely flavorful and complex with flavors of oak, sweet tobacco, white pepper, coffee and roasted nuts. It burnt and drew beautifully, letting off just enough smoke to satisfy those of us who prefer bellowing out huge clouds.

If you want a mild cigar that's full on flavor, this is it.

Thank you to Shuckins and Yan for the free stogie.

Hi bigbwalls,

Thank you very much for your review and trying sultan. I enjoyed sitting at my desk and reading your review, really appreciate it :)

Yes you are right it is a mild cigar with full of flavor, no doubt :)

Thank again.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0

. . . definitely light- to medium-bodied, erring more on the lighter end of the spectrum, with a wrapper that smelled of cedar and grass, the stick's pre-light draw tasting likewise and which, upon igniting the foot and taking a puff, gave off a quick spicy burst that died down to allow the flavors of fresh grass and vegetation with a light sprinkling of sweetness assert themselves, a combination that would characterize the cigar's first third after which a more tangy pungent woodiness inflected the taste with cedar and a mildly peaty oak while on the nose (the most pleasant aspect of the stick) I detected an earthy spice filled with cumin and cinnamon which were joined toward the halfway point by white pepper until the stick's third and final phase where I was reminded, through both the nose and mouth, of roasting banana leaves, the sweetness of the first third returning and leaving a grassy finish in my mouth . . . a solid lighter-bodied smoke, though a little too mild for me, preferring as I do much thicker and richer flavors and aromas . . .
(smoke time: one hour and twenty-five minutes . . .)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi Ryan,

Thank you very much for your GREAT review and pic! I really enjoy reading your review. If you prefer ticker and richer of sultan, please try Sultan Churchill.

Thanks again Ryan.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Yan, I apologize for the delay in getting this gorgeous stick smoked and reviewed! It's tough, sometimes, to find cigar-smoking, or Daddy-time, when you have a nearly 3 year old running around crazy! I am going to try to get it in, tomorrow afternoon!!! Thank you again for this rich opportunity to try your cigars!!

CbusDave

CRA Member #198179
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Great Mild-Medium stick that went great with my morning coffee on Memorial Day.

Prelight draw was perfect, offering sweet notes of cedar with just a hint of nutmeg and anise.

The first two thirds were very consistent, offering plumes of creamy white smoke and a reasonable ammount of resting smoke. Cedar and sweet tobacco dominate the pallate, with a crisp, slightly floral finish. The final third offered a slight increase in body and a complete flavor profile change. Allspice, nutmeg and white pepper notes became more pronouced, particularly on the retrohale. The finish also ramped up considerably, with notes of earth and dark roasted coffee.

Construction on this stick was flawless, with a razor sharp burn and a tight white ash that lasted well into the first third!

Total smoke time: 1 hour 15 minutes.

While this stick didn't fit my usual flavor profile, I found it to be a nice change of pace with significantly more complexity than most mild smokes. A great morning smoke for new and seasoned smokers alike.

Last edited:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3

. . . definitely light- to medium-bodied, erring more on the lighter end of the spectrum, with a wrapper that smelled of cedar and grass, the stick's pre-light draw tasting likewise and which, upon igniting the foot and taking a puff, gave off a quick spicy burst that died down to allow the flavors of fresh grass and vegetation with a light sprinkling of sweetness assert themselves, a combination that would characterize the cigar's first third after which a more tangy pungent woodiness inflected the taste with cedar and a mildly peaty oak while on the nose (the most pleasant aspect of the stick) I detected an earthy spice filled with cumin and cinnamon which were joined toward the halfway point by white pepper until the stick's third and final phase where I was reminded, through both the nose and mouth, of roasting banana leaves, the sweetness of the first third returning and leaving a grassy finish in my mouth . . . a solid lighter-bodied smoke, though a little too mild for me, preferring as I do much thicker and richer flavors and aromas . . .
(smoke time: one hour and twenty-five minutes . . .)

This is a great photograph. I would frame it and put it on the wall:thumbsup: