What's new

Sultan cigar review thread

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yan, I apologize for the delay in getting this gorgeous stick smoked and reviewed! It's tough, sometimes, to find cigar-smoking, or Daddy-time, when you have a nearly 3 year old running around crazy! I am going to try to get it in, tomorrow afternoon!!! Thank you again for this rich opportunity to try your cigars!!
Hi Frank,

Try this noble cigar from java in your pleasure time, so you can enjoy it like a noble :)

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great Mild-Medium stick that went great with my morning coffee on Memorial Day.

Prelight draw was perfect, offering sweet notes of cedar with just a hint of nutmeg and anise.

The first two thirds were very consistent, offering plumes of creamy white smoke and a reasonable ammount of resting smoke. Cedar and sweet tobacco dominate the pallate, with a crisp, slightly floral finish. The final third offered a slight increase in body and a complete flavor profile change. Allspice, nutmeg and white pepper notes became more pronouced, particularly on the retrohale. The finish also ramped up considerably, with notes of earth and dark roasted coffee.

Construction on this stick was flawless, with a razor sharp burn and a tight white ash that lasted well into the first third!

Total smoke time: 1 hour 15 minutes.

While this stick didn't fit my usual flavor profile, I found it to be a nice change of pace with significantly more complexity than most mild smokes. A great morning smoke for new and seasoned smokers alike.
Hi Dave,

You did smoking as i usually did, smoking cigar with cup of the great java coffee (LUWAK COFFEE). For me, luwak coffee and sultan cigar is a great couple in the morning before go to work :)

Thank you very much for your review and your time for trying my creation.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I finally got the opportunity to enjoy this cigar, last night, in the company of danthebugman and HalloweenHarry31.

The cigar was just gorgeous, from the silky sheen of the wrapper to the regal band. Prelight aroma of the cigar was cedar and tobacco. The draw seemed almost a little looser than I usually enjoy, despite the fact the cigar felt firm and well constructed. The smoke emitted by this cigar was wonderful, wafting white plumes. There was some great small smoke emissions while not being puffed.

I really didn't pick up much flavor from the cigar except light tobacco flavors and a hint of cedar. (This may be due to some stuffiness of my nose, but I had just had supper a couple of hours earlier, and I seemed to be tasting fine.)

About halfway through, I had a slight burn issue when the burn line got farther and farther away from a point that wasn't keeping up. I had to correct this issue two times.
I didn't ever notice a change throughout this cigar. I was expecting a slight change according to other reviews here, but never got it.

Overall, a pretty mild stick, in my opinion. It didn't have bad flavors to it, but just didn't really jump out at me.

I appreciate that Yan and Shuckins put this taste test thing together. I enjoyed having the opportunity to try the cigar, and give my feedback (and my lackluster reviewing skills, for what they're worth). Thank you so much guys!!!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I finally got the opportunity to enjoy this cigar, last night, in the company of danthebugman and HalloweenHarry31.

The cigar was just gorgeous, from the silky sheen of the wrapper to the regal band. Prelight aroma of the cigar was cedar and tobacco. The draw seemed almost a little looser than I usually enjoy, despite the fact the cigar felt firm and well constructed. The smoke emitted by this cigar was wonderful, wafting white plumes. There was some great small smoke emissions while not being puffed.

I really didn't pick up much flavor from the cigar except light tobacco flavors and a hint of cedar. (This may be due to some stuffiness of my nose, but I had just had supper a couple of hours earlier, and I seemed to be tasting fine.)

About halfway through, I had a slight burn issue when the burn line got farther and farther away from a point that wasn't keeping up. I had to correct this issue two times.
I didn't ever notice a change throughout this cigar. I was expecting a slight change according to other reviews here, but never got it.

Overall, a pretty mild stick, in my opinion. It didn't have bad flavors to it, but just didn't really jump out at me.

I appreciate that Yan and Shuckins put this taste test thing together. I enjoyed having the opportunity to try the cigar, and give my feedback (and my lackluster reviewing skills, for what they're worth). Thank you so much guys!!!
Hi Frank,

Thank you very much for your honest reviews, i really appreciate you did not covering negative issues on your review, good input for me as a sultan producer.

So far, this is the first major burn issue for sultan. I released arround 1500 sticks for promoting, cigar testing, and review, no major burn issue so far. My prediction for this burn issue because of there was a part of tobbaco bone left then affected on burning line.

I can not say you will get 100% perfect stick. But on sultan purcase, you will get 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. I will change every poor/low quality sticks with the new ones, free of chages and shipping.

Thanks again Frank, you did well!

P.S: Frank, if you want to get more rich of flavor and taste, you better try Sultan Churchill :)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
596   0   0
the Sultan churchill

nice firm feel,smells like fresh baked cinnamon rolls.

clean cut,easy light,lots of smoke right from the start

the flavors make me think of cinnamon coffee,smokes very cool though

has a grassy earth taste that reminds me of playing in the barn as a kid

picking up a bit of toffee flavor about a third of the way in. i like it, almost like caramel, the way it coats my mouth

small uneven burn that quickly corrected itself

very light ash that fell about every 2 inches. the more i smoke,the more i'm thinking of caramel apples and the county fair

you know i had to cowboy up to smoke the Sultan

the flavors have held steady throughout the entire cigar. the grassy coffee taste was always there. the caramel and cinnamon was lighter at times,but still present

a mild-medium cigar that i would smoke anytime day or night. if you haven't tried the Sultan,you should!
i'm lovin it so i'm nubbin it

Thanks Yan!

Rating - 100%
596   0   0
the group buy thread has been started:

[ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=40729"]Sultan Cigar Group Buy - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame]

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
Alright! I finally had enough time to sit down un disturbed!

Appearance 9/10
Great looking cigar with a very cool band. The wrapper was a nice carmel color with very little veins. The only issue I had was with the wrapper pulling a bit on the edges. nothing that effected the cigar...but just a bit comin up on edges.

Prelight 8/10
Before I cut the pre wetting was nice spicy tobacco taste. After the cut the draw was a bit tight and still had a bit of spice with nice floral nausances (sp?)

First Third 8/10
What a great mellow first third with great fresh floral tastes with a nice woodsy undertone. There was a bit of spice off the bat but it almost just seemed like it was off the wrapper and quickly went away. Very good and tastie first third.

Second Third 9/10
The floral is there pretty full force and reminded me much like a nice glass of sun tea. Just a great taste with a great temperature. I just fell in love with this part of the cigar and everything in life kinda washed away as I tried to pick out the tastes. it was a hot day on the patio and this was a nice refreshing smoke for the temp. The stick was also producing a great grey white ash for the entire smoking time

Third Third 7/10
The final third was a lot like the rest of the stick. no surprising end...just a good tastie floral smoke. It continued to taste like fresh herbs were blended in with the tobacco. Great end to a very good cigar!

I cannot thank ron enough for this opportunity! It was a great stick all around and was a very refreshing change to what is typically in my humidor. Great opportunity! I have pics for the whole smoke...but my internet is offline again due to the darn modem. once I am up and running I will post them up! sorry about spelling...on the treo for this whole review and it does not have a huge dictionary in the spell check;) Thanks again gents!

Rating - 100%
596   0   0
Ron! We can't add onto group buy due to trading zone!!! this is a problem indeed! Ill take one of the churchill 3rs! looks good!
yes,it is a problem!
i don't know why it was moved. how do the mods expect a group buy to work if people can't post in the thread what they want?

i added you to the list nick,thanks!

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
is there an example of the travel humi that comes with the churchills? I'm just trying to work out a paypl transfer then I should be in for a couple sticks.

Rating - 100%
596   0   0
is there an example of the travel humi that comes with the churchills? I'm just trying to work out a paypl transfer then I should be in for a couple sticks.
good point!
here is a pic of mine,minus the churchill i smoked for the review:

they are great looking and well made with quality material...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi bdc,

For additional information of sultan churchill with travel humidor. The new travel humidor you will get a nice batik linen humidor cover to cover the humi surface from scratch. (I am so sorry Mr. Ron, you did not get the cover)
I remove the magnets lock, change the magnet lock with make it tighten when you close the humi, so it will be locked by it self.

I will share some picture of it tomorrow.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi smoke,

VERY COMPLETTE AND PROFFESIOANAL REVIEW FORM YOU!! Thank you very much for your kind to review and your time to smoke sultan. I really enjoy reading your review, just curious with the pic! Please share pics when you already done with the modem problem :)

At the final third, didn't you find the "Indonesian spicy" kicked in your mouth? This is my special blend with putting Indonesian spicy at the end :)

And thanks for joining sultan group buy :)