What's new

Sushi, Sashimi, and Sushi Rolls

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
My son took me to a local Sushi joint back about 5 years ago. I almost puked.

Since then, I moved down to the Tampa area. I went into a local restaurant, and a had a great Prime Rib. While I am eating, I am noticing plates full of Sushi at most of the tables. The place is a combo Susho and everything else you can think of restaurant. Food is spotty, some things are real good, some are bad. Anyway, the Sushi bar in the restaurant is mobbed. So I go in again, and ask the waitress is what is popular. We order a roll, and an order of mixed Sashimi.

I am now friggin hooked. I can eat this stuff every day. I always figured this was some yuppy crap food that was disgusting, but people just said they they loved it. Damn, I am craving for some right now.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Yea, I've loved sushi for a while, but I'm still not a big sashimi fan (that includes raw fish/seafood for those who don't know ... sushi is cooked or smoked fish/seafood). Salmon and tuna aren't too bad raw, but I can't do the other stuff.

Have you had Unaggi? That's good stuff. If you find a place that will do Tempura sushi ... get some! They literally just batter the sushi roll and fry it like Tempura ... mmmmmm!

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Good stuff Ron, my dad was the same way We took him to a crappy sushi joint and he hated it. Now he loves it. My sister is a manager at a local spot, the one and only I eat at. Now discounts are cool.

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Right on. I used to make fun of ppl who ate it. Then I got married and my wife was always getting it. At first I hated it but after eating a piece or two everytime she got it I now love it. I love the salmon avacado, spicy tuna and spicy yellow tail rolls.

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hoestly. Sushi is probably my favorite food. I could eat it for every meal. Just something about it that is so fresh and tasty. Also If any of you guys live near Coral Springs, FL you have to check out NuSushi. Hole in the wall place with good prices and great quality. It helps they've been in business for years too.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
We go tuna fishing every year and the first catch always gets carved up immediately for snacks. Something very special about fresh out of the sea with some wasabi and cold beer.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I love it. Haven't had any in a few months. I had a Rep who loved it. He would always want to go out for it. Now you are making me want to get some. Thanks alot Ron.

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
We go tuna fishing every year and the first catch always gets carved up immediately for snacks. Something very special about fresh out of the sea with some wasabi and cold beer.

Where do I sign?!

Fresh wasabi, as in the root, right? Not that powdered stuff. :)

Just foolin :cbig:

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The thing about sushi is that you can't cover up the quality of the seafood and the skill of the chef with sauces, batter, etc. Have had bad sushi (Dhaka Bangladesh where the chef used strong soap to wash his hands and imparted that flavor to the rubbery fish, but it was north Korean-run so what did I expect, lol!) to great sushi (6x6 ft hole in the wall in Osaka, squeezed in with 11 other diners, the chef and his wife- koyoshi sushi as featured in chowhound.com). It's one of the most honest foods I know of.

Actually there is a lot of commonality between good sushi and good cigars. Just as an excellent cigar starts off with the right variety of tobacco, great sushi needs the most flavorful salmon, tuna, etc. species. Where outstanding tobacco has to be farmed rigorously, the best salmon are from the wild. Where tobacco needs to be harvested, fermented and stored carefully to bring out the best in it, fish need to be caught, stored, and shipped properly else lactic acid renders them good only for the cannery. Finally, as master blender and roller work their magic to make wonderful signature smoke, veteran fish buyer and master chef choose the best fish, the best cuts, the best rice & condiments, that impart their signature combination of flavor and texture that keeps their customers coming back for more. Yumm!