What's new

Sushi, Sashimi, and Sushi Rolls

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Eat sushi about once or twice a week here. Going for lunch in about 45 minutes actually. I love raw salmon and tuna. When I was a cook at a country club here in texas we used to get fresh salmon about once a week. Always saved a few strips while cleaning it up, so good.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The magic of flash-freezing and air freight. Amazing that you can have the best fish flown to your doorstep, almost anywhere in the world!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Being born and raised in Miami I was an odd ball for not liking sushi until about 6 years ago. These days I enjoy almost any type of sushi except for sea urchin and octopus…

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Being born and raised in Miami I was an odd ball for not liking sushi until about 6 years ago. These days I enjoy almost any type of sushi except for sea urchin and octopus…
Those two are definitely acquired tastes.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I haven't had sea urchin in a while, I recall not liking it. Though, I did like octopus.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
After watching the show, "Monsters Inside Me" on Animal Planet which is about people contracting parasites I could never eat any fish raw.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
...I'm still not a big sashimi fan (that includes raw fish/seafood for those who don't know ... sushi is cooked or smoked fish/seafood). Salmon and tuna aren't too bad raw, but I can't do the other stuff.
Sushi is actually the umbrella food of a variety of specific types all of which can, and typically do, contain raw fish/seafood.

Sushi rolled with seaweed & rice is called makizushi.
Sushi stuffed into a rolled pouch of seaweed temakizushi.
Sushi placed on top of a bed of rice is called nigirizushi.

Sliced raw fish by itself (no rice) is called sashimi.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Cool - love the eel sauce...

The guy that introduced me to quality cigars also introduced me to sushi. :thumbsup:
That dive I mentioned in Osaka had a tiny charcoal grill manned by an elderly sushi master, working shoulder to shoulder with his wife. He lightly grilled some eel, patted in some sushi rice then brushed on some of his special eel sauce. It was stunning. Doubt I'll ever taste anything that good again, and I'm not even an eel fan. :drool:

nubchin

cigar dreamin 24h
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys all must be kidding ,,,,,,
Its like as if Im craving about Texas Beef Brisket from Japan hahaha
(got a love the brisket though,,,,:yes:)

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Just stumbled across this thread again.

First of all, most people don't like sea urchin or "uni" because most of it is frozen and of inferior quality. Most shops don't move enough of it to justify the cost, which is expensive.

Had an "uni flight" at Sushi Yasuda in NYC, one of the best sushi joints in or outside of the island. Best ever, nobody has even come close.

I feel spoiled. The place I frequent let you know, and charges you accordingly, depending on whether the uni is fresh or frozen.

Finally, no offense, uni is what separates the "men from the boys." Just sayin :innocent:

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Sushi is actually the umbrella food of a variety of specific types all of which can, and typically do, contain raw fish/seafood.

Sushi rolled with seaweed & rice is called makizushi.
Sushi stuffed into a rolled pouch of seaweed temakizushi.
Sushi placed on top of a bed of rice is called nigirizushi.

Sliced raw fish by itself (no rice) is called sashimi.
True dat. My wife's half japanese, so we just hit the local Japanese market and bring home what WOULD be ~100 of dollars worth of fish (for about $45, after you include the bottles of Nigori Sake), and slice it up for sashimi. I'd make rolls, but that is too labor-intensive, and I'm always ripping the nori anyway.