What's new

Sushi, Sashimi, and Sushi Rolls

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I was in San Francisco last month and ate at a place called Sushi Rika in the city. I had their Red Dragon roll which was crab, avocado, spicy tuna, spicy mayo, sweet sauce topped with tobiko (flying fish roe). It was phenominal! I brought one of their menus home so I could get a local sushi joint to replicate it.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I was spoiled back when I was about 13 and spent 2 weeks in Japan. I still remember how fresh the sushi was. Now, when me and my girl go out for sushi we have to find an all you can eat spot. Last time we went for sushi and didn't do all you can eat I dropped $100 alone on myself. I pound so much sushi that we've decided to sacrifice a little quality for the price so I can be a glutton.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Just stumbled across this thread again.

First of all, most people don't like sea urchin or "uni" because most of it is frozen and of inferior quality. Most shops don't move enough of it to justify the cost, which is expensive.

Had an "uni flight" at Sushi Yasuda in NYC, one of the best sushi joints in or outside of the island. Best ever, nobody has even come close.

I feel spoiled. The place I frequent let you know, and charges you accordingly, depending on whether the uni is fresh or frozen.

Finally, no offense, uni is what separates the "men from the boys." Just sayin :innocent:
I second most of what you just said. Sushi Yasuda is phenomenal, and their uni was top notch.

I would say the separation of men from boys is blowfish. Not many restaurants have the skill to serve it, and how many people are willing to try something that could easily kill you if its not prepared correctly!

xddco

The Skipper
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Hoestly. Sushi is probably my favorite food. I could eat it for every meal. Just something about it that is so fresh and tasty. Also If any of you guys live near Coral Springs, FL you have to check out NuSushi. Hole in the wall place with good prices and great quality. It helps they've been in business for years too.
I live in Coral Springs... there SEVERAL great sushi places here... I love toro and white tuna sashimi... and am a big fan of cucumber rolls (using cucumber rather than rice)..... not a big fan of the cooked rolls, though.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I would say the separation of men from boys is blowfish. Not many restaurants have the skill to serve it, and how many people are willing to try something that could easily kill you if its not prepared correctly!
It's funny but as a kid I'd catch blowfish by the bushel and clean and eat them. The only part we ate was the tail. I can't believe my Dad never mentioned they were poisonous.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Been eating sushi/sashimi for over 40 years. My Dad took me to a sushi bar in NYC when I was 12. Sat at the bar, watched the chef slice and dice and had it all.

Uni is my favorite, stuffed with a raw quail egg...yummie!:blushlove:ccowboy:

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Been eating sushi/sashimi for over 40 years. My Dad took me to a sushi bar in NYC when I was 12. Sat at the bar, watched the chef slice and dice and had it all.

It's the best but I wouldn't give it to a newbie! I love Sushi but the selection is limited in my area. The great thing is that we are close to Santa Barbara where the best Uni in the world is harvested. I know the Uni that is served here is always fresh because they never seem to have any! I had to ask the chef what day it came in to be able to get the good stuff. I'll go so far as to call and find out if it's in.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0

Count me in on this. I love the Uni. I like getting an avocado and splitting it in half. Take that half and cut cross wise the inside then put Uni on top and then soy sauce and mix it all together. Very tasty.

Best regards, tony

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's funny as we all discuss Uni. I've must of sampled hundreds of it. Ranging from poor to fantastic, it definitely has a range of flavors.

But you're right, it's not for beginners, or even those with a couple of years under their belt, but for the aficionado of sushi/sashimi or raw fish.

And I've had everything from the small grass shimp (raw) to clam, octopus, squid, etc. Haven't had blowfish though, One day.....:skew:

Tnt Cigarguy

BoM Jan 12
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Yea, I've loved sushi for a while, but I'm still not a big sashimi fan (that includes raw fish/seafood for those who don't know ... sushi is cooked or smoked fish/seafood). Salmon and tuna aren't too bad raw, but I can't do the other stuff.

Have you had Unaggi? That's good stuff. If you find a place that will do Tempura sushi ... get some! They literally just batter the sushi roll and fry it like Tempura ... mmmmmm!

Just to give a clarification. Sushi is with rice and sashimi is without it. Sushi can be both cooked or raw fish, where as sashimi is always raw and always without rice. And its like cigars most people dont know the difference when they start. They need help and have to be trained on whats good and whats not. Plus experience is the best teacher.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Last nights dinner was a white and red tuna roll with avacado, tempura crunchies and spicy sauce, and a spicey salmon roll with crabmeat, crunchies, and ell sauce.

todays lunch was salmon sushi, spicy salmon roll, and a spicy tuna roll