What's new

Sushi

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Love sushi! If you ever get to LA try a place called Sushi Station in Carson City??? The owner/chef is a guy named Phil something or other... He took on Bobby Flay in a Throw Down and kicked his ass of course, what does Bobby know, right? Anyway very fun guy his sauces for each selection are incredible! He does NOT believe in the soy/wasabi/pickled ginger for each roll or whatever! This guy had some of the freshest sushi I've ever had. The sea urchin was absolutely phenominal, tasted like ice cream with a touch of fresh ocean. The sweet shrimp was the coolest dish cuz they kill the giant shrimp righ in front of you and serve you the tail and the head is deep fried and put into a miso soup and you eat everything including the shell, crazy cool! His clam variations were insane and monk fish liver is amazing plus the best part of all fish that I found were the belly sections and I had yellow fin bbq ribs... Can you tell I LOVE SUSHI! I think my meal alone w/o beverages was $150 by myself just chillin' with the chef at lunchtime and told him to serve me what normal people won't eat and he had a blast and we just chatted for about 3 hrs.

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
I've been to a place in Portland, OR (can't remember the name) a couple times that is incredible. When you walk in there is a big oval bar. There is a train that goes around the bar constantly. In the middle are sushi chefs that have to duck under the bar to get in and out. The chefs make sushi, plate it on a colored plate (diff colors represent diff prices), and put it on the train. If you want it, you take it. At the end the waitress tally's up your total plates. The quality was A+ and the atmosphere was even better.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Love it! The daughters and I had a Cali roll and a dragon roll with dinner tonight. Jungle Jims here in Cincy (massive specialty supermarket) has a good set of chefs that roll all day and you can just grab and go or sit at a bar there and enjoy.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I absolutely love sushi! In '96, I went to visit my sister in Chico, CA. While there, she took me out to a sushi bar. It had the boats in water, like the train. She taught me to sit closest to the kitchen end, so you got the freshest, and most recent stuff. That was also the first time I had a Sapporo the size of my head, and raw oysters. Loved it all!

I roll my own sushi, too. Mainly California, Philly, and different veggie ones: cucumber, seasoned gourd strips (kampyo). Way too far inland to try to track down "fresh" seafood for any of the raw styles! I used to sell sushi every two weeks at the school, where I was a para. Made decent money that way!

I just had sushi on Friday night! I will try to get a pic of what I had up, soon.

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
Very weird you posted this, my daughter asked me if I wanted to finish her dinner. I asked what it was and was pleasantly surprised to find 6 Red Dragon rolls!
Love it! The daughters and I had a Cali roll and a dragon roll with dinner tonight. Jungle Jims here in Cincy (massive specialty supermarket) has a good set of chefs that roll all day and you can just grab and go or sit at a bar there and enjoy.
did you 2 adopt a daughter together? busted

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I finaly got into it a few years ago and since then gotten my wife into it too. I could eat it a lot more than I do but my budget won't allow that.