What's new

Talk to me about Tennessee!

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Speaking of HBH was there on this year? I remember it being around my bday and that was in April...did it already happen?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
The only thing that interests me about Memphis is Sun Records and seeing Graceland, that's about it.

Nothing worse then not having good bbq.
Beale Street can be a great time, especially if you can catch North Mississippi All Stars playing.

No shortage of good BBQ in TN.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Fuck missed it again...couldn't drink or smoke at leading up to my surgery so I hadn't been checking the forums. I'll make it out one day.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Cold iron shackles, ball and chain
Listen to the whistle of the evenin' train
You know you bound to wind up dead
If you don't head back to Tennessee Jed
If memory serves me correct, the chorus to that song is:

Tennessee, Tennessee, there ain't no place I'd rather be
Baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee

But, one verse says:

I woke up a felin' mean
Went down to play the slot machine
Memphis sucks but the letters read
You better head back to Tennessee, Jed
Das Whassup. (y)
Don’t know what the hell yall talking about..... Sure Happy Idiot is to blame though... ‍♂

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Don’t know what the hell yall talking about..... Sure Happy Idiot is to blame though... ‍♂
Grateful Dead man!!! And inevitable because I think we're the most referenced state in American music for the last 50 years. Cause it's Tennessee, we're siiiiiiiinging your song... ;)

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I work for a company in Fairview, just off highway 96 about a mile on the other side of I-40 from Burns and Dickson. Basically about 15 minutes away. I don’t live there but I do visit 5-6 times a year so I know the area fairly well.

That area is quite rural so there should be plenty of places that are a lot more than 50 feet from your neighbor. Housing prices should be quite reasonable when you compare them to California but you may have some difficulties finding a place, only because Nashville is a hot housing market right now. I have had co-workers tell me that anything decent sells rather quickly.

Snow is not much of a worry there (you will get a little now and then) however be prepared for a couple of good ice “events” per year when everything shuts down for a day or two. Otherwise the air is clear, the taxes are cheap and aside from the occasional redneck and/or meth lab the quality of life is generally good. The only concern that I would have is that things are going to definitely be a lot more “rural” than you are used to. Thankfully Nashville is only a short distance away and there is plenty of sports, music, theater, people and traffic in case you miss any of those things.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
From a neighbor to the west of TN and a former CA resident, things to be aware of....
Ice on the roads sucks! Its not all the time, but people are idiots and drive on it like Californians drive in fog.
Bugs, tell your wife to brace herself. Mine was texting me pics every other day saying "wtf is this!" They are huge but mostly harmless.
On that topic, ticks and chiggers- if you are rural i am sure you will deal with them. Stay out of the tall grass and weeds and you should be ok.
Rednecks, its a whole different breed than CA rednecks. And they are proud of it. Maybe not so much around Nashville, but in MO they are worth watching for entertainment.
Food, its different, but that can be a very good thing. Mexican food will suck! It will for sure not live up to what you are used to.
Diversity, again may be different around Nashville, but i was shocked to see all the white people. I was not used to it.
The pace of life is awesome and so is the cost of living.
Hope this helps. And good luck on the move!

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I work for a company in Fairview, just off highway 96 about a mile on the other side of I-40 from Burns and Dickson. Basically about 15 minutes away. I don’t live there but I do visit 5-6 times a year so I know the area fairly well.

That area is quite rural so there should be plenty of places that are a lot more than 50 feet from your neighbor. Housing prices should be quite reasonable when you compare them to California but you may have some difficulties finding a place, only because Nashville is a hot housing market right now. I have had co-workers tell me that anything decent sells rather quickly.

Snow is not much of a worry there (you will get a little now and then) however be prepared for a couple of good ice “events” per year when everything shuts down for a day or two. Otherwise the air is clear, the taxes are cheap and aside from the occasional redneck and/or meth lab the quality of life is generally good. The only concern that I would have is that things are going to definitely be a lot more “rural” than you are used to. Thankfully Nashville is only a short distance away and there is plenty of sports, music, theater, people and traffic in case you miss any of those things.
Thanks Rupe! Right now I am kind of looking at Fairview and White Bluff area. Those areas keep popping up on my Zillow app, I'm just not sure if those areas are good areas to live in or not, or does it really even matter out there? I'm not sure if it's like California where certain parts of the city you need to stay away from or not.

From a neighbor to the west of TN and a former CA resident, things to be aware of....
Ice on the roads sucks! Its not all the time, but people are idiots and drive on it like Californians drive in fog.
Bugs, tell your wife to brace herself. Mine was texting me pics every other day saying "wtf is this!" They are huge but mostly harmless.
On that topic, ticks and chiggers- if you are rural i am sure you will deal with them. Stay out of the tall grass and weeds and you should be ok.
Rednecks, its a whole different breed than CA rednecks. And they are proud of it. Maybe not so much around Nashville, but in MO they are worth watching for entertainment.
Food, its different, but that can be a very good thing. Mexican food will suck! It will for sure not live up to what you are used to.
Diversity, again may be different around Nashville, but i was shocked to see all the white people. I was not used to it.
The pace of life is awesome and so is the cost of living.
Hope this helps. And good luck on the move!
Thanks man, yeah my wife already started looking up what kind of bugs they have out there. haha She Hates bugs so that part will be fun. I do a lot of bbqing and smoking so as long as I can get a good butcher shop we should be good. I have my own seasoning for some good carne asada. haha

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Thanks Rupe! Right now I am kind of looking at Fairview and White Bluff area. Those areas keep popping up on my Zillow app, I'm just not sure if those areas are good areas to live in or not, or does it really even matter out there? I'm not sure if it's like California where certain parts of the city you need to stay away from or not.

Thanks man, yeah my wife already started looking up what kind of bugs they have out there. haha She Hates bugs so that part will be fun. I do a lot of bbqing and smoking so as long as I can get a good butcher shop we should be good. I have my own seasoning for some good carne asada. haha
Good luck finding tri tip too. Took me years. Sams club carries it here though at a good price. First butcher cut me one for 40 bucks for a 3lb roast!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0

Yeah, to a point, everywhere has its not as nice section, but Not like you're probably expecting.
I like to joke that Knoxville has the nicest ghettos in the US.. ;) (only half kidding) there's a few neighborhoods to avoid, but even most of our somewhat bad areas are Disneyland compared to places like st Louis.

Shouldn't have much trouble finding good meat. At all.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Yeah, to a point, everywhere has its not as nice section, but Not like you're probably expecting.
I like to joke that Knoxville has the nicest ghettos in the US.. ;) (only half kidding) there's a few neighborhoods to avoid, but even most of our somewhat bad areas are Disneyland compared to places like st Louis.

Shouldn't have much trouble finding good meat. At all.
Thanks man, yeah not really sure what to expect. Been in LA area all my life, I’ve traveled quick a bit so I have an idea of what small town is like but to live there is completely different.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I really don't think it matters. You are going to have nicer neighborhoods and poorer areas but you are not going to have sections of blight and crime like you do in the bigger cities. Certainly nothing like Gary Indiana, East St. Louis or Harvard Park.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
What’s up fellas? I’ve been MIA for a bit but still smoking when I can. I’ve been given the opportunity to move with my company to Tennessee and looking for some info from y’all. Those that live there or have lived there, what do you love about TN and what do you hate about TN? What should a California boy know about the state? I’d be moving around the Dickson county area, still not sure what city to look at yet. Look forward to your replies and thanks.
Well, what's the story @Jesse
Did you make the move?
How's it going?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Traffic in and around Nashville is absolutely terrible. As long as you don't have to travel to Nashville from Dickson, all should be good. If youndo, during the week at rush hour it will be at least an hour drive to and from.