What's new

Tattoos

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Did two today. Forgot to grab a picture of the second one before the wrap went on, I'll add that later.

Snapped one real quick because I thought it was funny that Mario and I were breaking out Instagram at the same time.
Poor lighting, so excuse the crappy photo. But here's the other one.
Like em both, you can easily add on to them too. My next appt is Tuesday.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I don't currently have any, however, I've been working on some concepts of what I would eventually like to get. A little while ago, I came across this article online.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/31/dad-drawings-son-tattoos_n_6585450.html

For whatever reason, I thought this the greatest idea for a tattoo. IMO tattoos are an extension of expression for the things that drive/motivate you. Important people/things/quotes in your life. Outside of this, I see very little reason to get tweety bird tattooed on your neck. Anyway, as my son is getting older I would like to dedicate my right arm (half sleeve) to him, the things he likes now, which would be fish and dinosaurs and as he gets older add on to it. Would like to do the same thing on the other arm for our next child (whenever that would be). Just the ramblings of something that I will probably never put the effort/$$ into doing, but it's been on my heart for awhile now.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I don't currently have any, however, I've been working on some concepts of what I would eventually like to get. A little while ago, I came across this article online.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/31/dad-drawings-son-tattoos_n_6585450.html

For whatever reason, I thought this the greatest idea for a tattoo. IMO tattoos are an extension of expression for the things that drive/motivate you. Important people/things/quotes in your life. Outside of this, I see very little reason to get tweety bird tattooed on your neck. Anyway, as my son is getting older I would like to dedicate my right arm (half sleeve) to him, the things he likes now, which would be fish and dinosaurs and as he gets older add on to it. Would like to do the same thing on the other arm for our next child (whenever that would be). Just the ramblings of something that I will probably never put the effort/$$ into doing, but it's been on my heart for awhile now.
That's actually cool. I might have to steal/borrow that idea.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I have been meaning to do this for a couple years - even have some pictures they drew from that time period that I will be using.

In the mean time, i'm going to get a full body tattoo of myself, only taller.
I always wanted to get my face on my arm just so when I'm old and someone asks who that is I can say "me."

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
IMO tattoos are an extension of expression for the things that drive/motivate you. Important people/things/quotes in your life. Outside of this...
Tattoos are an art with a rich culture and history.
Nothing wrong with getting meaningful tattoos, but it's a terrible stigma to assume they have to mean something.

sirhchris

If no fit put spit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two on both my calfs. on my right calf is a Tahitian tatau, symbolizing my family and our involvement in Tahitian music and dance. my wife was a professional and competitive dance, myself a drummer for her Halau (dance troupe). the hook simply means we're all tied to the Tahitian dance and music culture. created by Tino Hoffman.

This is a Filipino Hand tapped tattoo. this is very sacred to me, because this about my family's heritage and origins, while showing ancestral guidance and strength. created by Manbatok Lane Wilcken.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Got my going on four years half sleeve added to today. It's called a Jerusalem cross. I believe @mdwest uses it as an avatar. Anyway, the meaning behind these were during the crusades, there were many different countries fighting together to reclaim the holy land. Different languages, and cultures made it hard to distinguish the Christians from the Muslims. The crusaders would tattoo this to their wrist or hand. When the battle ended and the dead were being disposed of, this signified that you were a Christian, and wanted a Christian burial. This is an hour after getting it. It's swollen, and ugly right now, but should heal nicely.

The second pic is pretty distorted due to the swelling. I will snap some better pics after its had time to heal.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Got my going on four years half sleeve added to today. It's called a Jerusalem cross. I believe @mdwest uses it as an avatar. Anyway, the meaning behind these were during the crusades, there were many different countries fighting together to reclaim the holy land. Different languages, and cultures made it hard to distinguish the Christians from the Muslims. The crusaders would tattoo this to their wrist or hand. When the battle ended and the dead were being disposed of, this signified that you were a Christian, and wanted a Christian burial. This is an hour after getting it. It's swollen, and ugly right now, but should heal nicely.

The second pic is pretty distorted due to the swelling. I will snap some better pics after its had time to heal.
Looks awesome, Robert.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ive had an 6" Crusaders Cross tattoo'd over my heart since 2004.... (has very personal significance to me.. for a particular period of time in my life)..

Lots of stories circulate about the history of the Jerusalem/Crusaders cross and how it was utilized.. Im not sure anyone really knows 100% of the story... even well renowned historians cant seem to completely agree on much other than it was the cross that flew on the flag of the King of Jerusalem when it was still a Christian held city state.. and that it first appeared during the first crusade when the pope awarded the cross to Godfrey Bouillon for his banner.. Bouillon later became the king.. kept the cross.. and it stayed as part of the Jerusalem banner/flag..

Lots of stories about how Knights tattoo'd it to themselves.. but... most historians discount this since tattoos were considered "pagan" during the middle ages.. and were banned in accordance with biblical laws.. that said, there is evidence of pilgrims tattooing themselves while in the holy land (mostly Teutonic and Scandinavian), and specifically in Jerusalem..

The most common story I have read is the cross was often worn as a "badge of honor" by knights returning to Europe after they had been on a crusade.. after they would return to their order or home country, they would continue to wear the cross even though they were no longer in the holy land and/or incorporate it into their banners, colors, etc.. paint it on their shields, armor, etc.. to let everyone know they had served during a crusade..

Last edited:

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Ive had an 6" Crusaders Cross tattoo'd over my heart since 2004.... (has very personal significance to me.. for a particular period of time in my life)..

Lots of stories circulate about the history of the Jerusalem/Crusaders cross and how it was utilized.. Im not sure anyone really knows 100% of the story... even well renowned historians cant seem to completely agree on much other than it was the cross that flew on the flag of the King of Jerusalem when it was still a Christian held city state.. and that it first appeared during the first crusade when the pope awarded the cross to Godfrey Bouillon for his banner.. Bouillon later became the king.. kept the cross.. and it stayed as part of the Jerusalem banner/flag..

Lots of stories about how Knights tattoo'd it to themselves.. but... most historians discount this since tattoos were considered "pagan" during the middle ages.. and were banned in accordance with biblical laws.. that said, there is evidence of pilgrims tattooing themselves while in the holy land (mostly Teutonic and Scandinavian), and specifically in Jerusalem..

The most common story I have read is the cross was often worn as a "badge of honor" by knights returning to Europe after they had been on a crusade.. after they would return to their order or home country, they would continue to wear the cross even though they were no longer in the holy land and/or incorporate it into their banners, colors, etc.. paint it on their shields, armor, etc.. to let everyone know they had served during a crusade..
Very nice explanation! Like anything several thousand years old, the story can get muddled. I still love it. Thanks!

Last edited: