What's new

Tatuaje Black Corona Gorda (Jar Release)

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Right on the Heel of Halon's review: http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=49765
I bring you my review.

ManCave25.JPG
This corona gorda measures 5 5/8 by 46 and sports a covered, uncut foot and a fuma style cap.
Blended to evoke the personal touch of a cigar that you might find in local regions - the kind of cigar that the locals roll for themselves. Pete created this to keep the tradition of handing someone a special cigar in person. Used at special cigar events, the demand for at least a limited release of this blend has resulted in a mere 1000 jars of 19 cigars to be produced. (Discription from NHC).

To start off I must thank AJ (Blooz4u) for giving me my first and only Tat cg jar realease and the bottle of "Ron Matusalem - Gran Reserva Rum". These were part of the gift's I recieved from him in BOTL's "Secret Santa 2010".
AJ had asked me a couple of times if I had fired this cigar up and each time I'd reach for it, I'd put it back in the humi. I just couldn't get myself to fire this bad boy up escpecially not knowing if I'd ever get the chance again.
Well as fate would have it I was in chat the other day and AJ was in as well. Again he asked if I had smoked it yet and again I told him not yet and my reason for holding it. After B.S.ing back and forth about it I decieded he was right and I needed to fire it up. So I promised him I would do it Friday and so here I am!
Reaching for my Xikar Cutter I carefully cut the cap off without issue. I smelled both the head and the foot noticing a barnyard presence I've gotten in other cigars. grabing my lighter I seared the covered foot to get a wiff of the smoke that burned from the wrapper. Nice! My first good draw on this I was expecting a pepper bomb but was pleasently surprised by a mild and creamy earth inhale. As I took the next few puffs I tried to let it settle so I could start to fully understand the make-up of this cigar.
I would say within a quarter of an inch the flavors start to emerse the pallet and without a doubt a familiar taste takes hold.
This cigar just sang to me. I was completely blown away from a nc cigar of this caliber. Now...I know what people see in this cigar. I think to myself lets see what happens as time goes by.
Mancave26.JPG
The burn is very sharp and the ash seems to be nice and tight. The draw is perfect and the cigar for this size is nicley packed solid. the burn is slow and the smoke is rich and thick.
ManCave24.JPG
I can't help but be amazed at the flavors I'm picking up from this. There are stong notes of roasted nuts and creamyness but there is also a hint of raisins too. I feel as though I'm smoking a cc to be honest at this point in the cigar. I really start to enjoy this a little too much and as I lose myself in it's flavors I start to smoke it to fast causing the wrapper to split. (What have I done!!)
ManCave23.JPG
I take my lighter and just burn the split wrapper enough to bring it to the edge and tell myself to slow down and take easy draws. As a few minutes go by and I'm taking carefull puffs the cigar quickly corrects itself and I'm back on track. Man was I sweating it. If I screwed this up I didn't deserve to have it! Anyways the burn and ash remained solid and the flavors at this point were just amazing!
ManCave21.JPG
The sweet raisin flavor has now become the front runner with the creamyness following and the nuttyness in the background. I really felt as though I was smoking something like a Cuban RyJ to honest. I swear this was no NC like I've ever had. As I kept smoking the same flavors just kept pouring out from this cigar and I would say that the second third of this cigar too about an inch from the end, is where this cigar really shined. I really tried my best to smoke this stick to the nub but it just got to hot and so just under an inch I sadly put it down to rest. For the size of this cigar it still took me around an hour and a half to finish.
ManCave20.JPG
Thank you so much AJ for the oppotunity to smoke such an amazing and HTF cigar. It really live's up to it's hype and I hope I'm lucky enough to get more down the road.
Thanks everyone for your time!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I really felt as though I was smoking something like a Cuban RyJ to honest. I swear this was no NC like I've ever had.
I agree. I haven't had enough R&Js to state that marca specifically, but I agree that these original release Blacks (and to a slightly lesser degree the robustos that followed) are very "cubanesque" -- please forgive the use of that word, I know it's been bastardized by copy writers in the cigar sales industry, lol.

To me, one of the best NCs I've ever had in that medium-bodied range, for this general flavor profile.

Rating - 100%
104   0   0
One of the best cigar reviews I've ever read brutha.

Well done.

You did a phenomenal job of describing how this cigar makes me feel.

:starrylov

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Great review, Tom! I was actually planning on smoking one of these either tomorrow or the next day. I hope my experience is as good as yours, I remember my first Black CG! Instantly became my favorite NC.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Great review Tom. I've had a couple of the later release CG's and PL's and love them but have yet to fire up the one and only OR jar CG that Jere smacked me with when he was here last summer and can't seem to bring myself to dig it out of the humi. I'm looking forward to just the right time to toast it up.

Thanks for sharing brother :yes: