What's new

Tatuaje Cabinet Especiales

Rutkus

Newb Puke
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I am a huge fan of the lancero sized cigar. I have been reading posts at various sites and have been reading nothing but good things about tatuaje cigars. i've never had a domestic lancero as well so most of my experience has been with cohiba and trinidad. I really wanted to see what all the hype is about.

I stopped by my local b&m today, something i haven't done in a very long time. picked up a couple of these guys and the BIG ass Gran Cojonu which i have yet to smoke.

i paired this with some corazon reposado tequilla.

The construction was right on with what i consider to be the grandaddy of the lanceros, the cohiba. a nice oily wrapper, expertly rolled, i could find no flaws at all.

i clipped the cap experienced a wonderful draw, took in the prelight flavors: chocolate, caramel, leather were extremely dominant, much more in your face flavors than others, i knew i was in for a treat.

i toasted the foot and then took my first puff, i tend to disregard the first puff since it may be a bit hotter due to the initial lighting with my torch, this time, it was hard to ignore, it was delicious.

the cigar was a pure trip of flavor, it seemed to change 3 distinct times. initial puff, and first third of the cigar was, honey, leather, cedar wood. we then moved to an extremely creamy flavor, it just seemed to coat your mouth, very enjoyable. the final third turned spicy, however a bit acrid, and bitter, more than likely due to tar buildup. i purged the cigar, and this remedied the problem, it returned to a nice little spicy finish. i'm pretty bad with putting to words exactly what i'm tasting, i just know, i liked what i was tasting.

one of the things i've read in descriptions of this cigar is "cubanesque" while this deffinately is not a cohiba or cuban, i can understand why some might use that term. the best way i can interpret why they would say is if you've experienced smoking a cuban, take the smooth creamy flavors that is on minus the twang. you don't have any harsh aftertaste, just a creamy flavor that stays with you and makes you want to smell your fingers for a while. i must emphasize, in no way do i consider this cuban. for a domestic it is deffinately in its own league. i've never enjoyed a domestic that hits all the points that i look for in a cigar.

overall, this is a great cigar, the only drawback for me is the price, a box will set you back over $230, which, for me, is almost a bit much. its so hard to really come up with anything else negative as it was a wonderful cigar that deffinately held up to all the hype surrounding it. i will deffinately buy a 5pack to keep on hand, maybe down the line, get a box, i highly recommend you try this cigar, for me it will deffinately be a cause of cravings for the future, i can already tell.

dmoby

Boli Whore
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is a great cigar considering it is just one tobacco inside, Viso. The other day my local B&M cracked open a box from 04 and these cigars were oily and powerful. If you enjoy this you have to try the Tainos.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I haven't had this one but did have another Taj. I really like them. Very cubanesque (sp?)

BrewMeister

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tatuaje line is quickly becoming one of my favorite smokes. A bit pricey and difficult to find, but IMO a fantastic smoke. I have had a bit of problem with burn issues on the Neollas, smoked two and both canoed a bit and needed some touching up.

Looking forward to your Cojonu review.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

The Tat's are among the best NC I have had. I'm thinking of hitting the B&M today and maybe picking up some Unicos.

Great review!

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
This may actually be the first cigar that I decide to carry! I JUST got the contact info and plan on making the call!

AWESOME SMOKES!

Rutkus

Newb Puke
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i can pick up a couple for you if you want and drop it in the mail. pm me your info if you want, no problem on my end.

Len___T

n0ob Phreak
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Well...A tatuaje reserva was the first one out of my sampler I got from Indyrob that I decided to smoke..WOW!!! My joya De Nics just got replaced lol...This cigar was a reddish brown color..very nice to smell and look at as well...I was soooooooo torn as to what to take w/me to work so I decided on the tat since I had never heard of them in my no0bness..Spicy...spicy....and more spicy...freakin' outstanding...tongue was numb the entire smoke...I had a dr pepper w/me while I smoked it and it only highlighted it!!! I was so blown away by this smoke that in all honesty I dont remember the flavors per se...just that it was outstanding..thank you rob..sorry I dont have all the particulars about the smoke other than I thought it was a great cigar...have a happy...len

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Well...A tatuaje reserva was the first one out of my sampler I got from Indyrob that I decided to smoke..WOW!!! My joya De Nics just got replaced lol...This cigar was a reddish brown color..very nice to smell and look at as well...I was soooooooo torn as to what to take w/me to work so I decided on the tat since I had never heard of them in my no0bness..Spicy...spicy....and more spicy...freakin' outstanding...tongue was numb the entire smoke...I had a dr pepper w/me while I smoked it and it only highlighted it!!! I was so blown away by this smoke that in all honesty I dont remember the flavors per se...just that it was outstanding..thank you rob..sorry I dont have all the particulars about the smoke other than I thought it was a great cigar...have a happy...len
Those are a great smoke. A bit tough to come by and a bit pricey but well worth it IMO. Glad you enjoyed the smoke.

DAL

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoked the Especiales today and was very disappointed. It was my first Tat and I was looking forward to it. Good draw and lots of smoke, but was bitter at times with uneven burn requiring several touch ups. I purged it a couple of times and that helped a little. It went out at the last third and got really harsh after a relight. The cap kept unravelling in spite of a very sharp cut with a Havana cutter. My humidor is at 67%, so I don't consider the cigar to be over humidified. I bought a Unicos, too. I hope it will be a good smoke.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I smoked the Especiales today and was very disappointed. It was my first Tat and I was looking forward to it. Good draw and lots of smoke, but was bitter at times with uneven burn requiring several touch ups. I purged it a couple of times and that helped a little. It went out at the last third and got really harsh after a relight. The cap kept unravelling in spite of a very sharp cut with a Havana cutter. My humidor is at 67%, so I don't consider the cigar to be over humidified. I bought a Unicos, too. I hope it will be a good smoke.

I understand your plight. The first handfull of Tatuaje's I smoked were beyond great. The first time I bought some Noellas, I had nothing good to say about it. I emailed Pete Johnson to ask what the hell he did to the noellas that were so different than the rest of the lines. It was that bad.

The cubanesque description is spot on; you have to treat the Tatuaje just as you would any cuban cigar and smoke them fresh (tat's have a boxing date on the bottom) or store them for a year and let them develpoe over time.

The Gran Conoju is a bad ass mo'fo that I suggest you eat something before smoking one. Same goes for the Reserva A. I smoked a Reserva A and it knocked my ass back into bed for 2 hours.

Tatuajes are without a doubt one of the best cigars I have smoked. I can't keep enough in my cooler.

-Rob

DAL

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I bought them last Wednesday. I didn't ask how long the B&M had them. I'll call them about it. I have nothing Cuban to compare them with. I'm not sure that I ever had a CC. I was a cigarette smoker in the pre-embargo days. I rarely smoked cigars, and when I did, they were usually Hav-a-Tampas. I worked in the tobacco room at a Liggett Drug warehouse in 1959. It was loaded with boxes of cuban cigars, but not being a cigar smoker, they made no impression on me, other than their price, which was a lot more than what I paying for domestic cigars. My son got me into cigars about 12 years ago. Actually, I had my first cigar when I was 5 years old. I found one of my father's cigars (Cuban?) on his bureau, matches included. My mother caught me in a few minutes and that ended my cigar indulgence for several decades. :yes:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I understand your plight. The first handfull of Tatuaje's I smoked were beyond great. The first time I bought some Noellas, I had nothing good to say about it. I emailed Pete Johnson to ask what the hell he did to the noellas that were so different than the rest of the lines. It was that bad.

The cubanesque description is spot on; you have to treat the Tatuaje just as you would any cuban cigar and smoke them fresh (tat's have a boxing date on the bottom) or store them for a year and let them develpoe over time.

The Gran Conoju is a bad ass mo'fo that I suggest you eat something before smoking one. Same goes for the Reserva A. I smoked a Reserva A and it knocked my ass back into bed for 2 hours.

Tatuajes are without a doubt one of the best cigars I have smoked. I can't keep enough in my cooler.

-Rob
Did he ever get back to you?

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Did he ever get back to you?
Yes he did. He explained pretty much what everyone describes as that "cubanesque" phenomenon...the cigars are rolled in the cuban style w/o aging the tobacco prior to being rolled. This makes a cigar that is quite good when fresh but able to get better with age, just as a Cuban cigar does. What I had smoked was a fresh Noella and given time, the cigar will come into itself just as the previous cigars I had smoked had become.

I deleted the email a few months ago, but that was the basic "jist" of it.