167   0   0
It's tough for me to rank them atm. But I'll say:

OG Verocu (West/East)
Black CG
Boris
T110
Pork Tenderloin?
Noella Reserva

I've only had one Pork Tenderloin, last week, but it was fantastic. I really loved that thing. I hope Pete figures out a way to make this blend more of a regular release ... there has been some scuttlebutt about the "Meat Locker" being a regular or at last annual line, which I think would be great.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
google search dude, top result. I don't have some back room secret sauce. Online purchases generally come with lower taxes and $8 to ship is not compared to the $50 difference in price I listed,
+1. At this point I HAVE to make all my purchases online anyway--the closest Tat dealer is a 3-hour, $150 bullet-train ride away, and the taxes here are even higher than Canada.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Wow, you pay way below MSRP for ET Lanceros and no tax? Nice...

Since you can pay significantly below MSRP and avoid paying any state or local taxes or shipping on your cigar purchases, I guess they are cheaper.

However, I don't think that business model applies to most cigar purchases, nor do I expect it to. Hence, I won't use that as a metric for price comparisons. Ill go by MSRP and local taxes.
IMO your reasoning is just plain backwards.

Anyone that has put a little time in the cigar buying world can get their hookups and discounts and guess what.... We, the ones who have put the time in, are the ones searching out and buying LE sticks from across the country from little shops that nobody knows about.

This LE release just misses the target I think.

Kool-aid Kid or not, you have to realize the difference between a good idea and just buying to say you did.

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
maravilla ( fresh)
Black CG
Noella reserva (2nd release)
Boris
noella reserva (original release)

caveat havent tried the pork chop, tenderloin, original cohete, bombazos, rex, or any of the other new stuff that came out this year except the face (which I liked), Have some of these, most actually, just havent smoked them yet.

tandblov

Just Another Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
google search dude, top result. I don't have some back room secret sauce. Online purchases generally come with lower taxes and $8 to ship is not compared to the $50 difference in price I listed,
OK, "dude",

You compare an online "store" in low to no tax state with an "out of stock" way below MSRP price, to a local small business with an exclusive small run product who has to pay their state cigar taxes and sales tax. We aren't talking about the same thing.

But, hey, different strokes for different folks.

I find this a lot. People use online shops that don't face the same overhead as their local B&M. That's their choice. But to use those heavily discounted sources as a hallmark to judge prices in completely different markets, and for completely different products, ignores much of the market forces affecting either type of operation.

But hey, what do I know...

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Yes I compare bottom line, cost to me, whether I am buying from a B&M or online. Living in CA, everything I buy is online or out of state. Either way I can get a box of El Tri for less than the SODO, and that was really my point. Same ciagr minus an inch or so for more. Less than exciting for my money.

BTW, "dude" is regular vocab where I am from

Last edited:

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
OK, "dude",

You compare an online "store" in low to no tax state with an "out of stock" way below MSRP price, to a local small business with an exclusive small run product who has to pay their state cigar taxes and sales tax. We aren't talking about the same thing.

I find this a lot. People use online shops that don't face the same overhead as their local B&M. That's their choice. But to use those heavily discounted sources as a hallmark to judge prices in completely different markets, and for completely different products, ignores much of the market forces affecting either type of operation.

so what exactly is your point? In state at a B&M I have never paid as much for a box of El T Lanceros as the SODO release is being sold for, and I have bought several boxes. I can find them way cheaper using online out of state vendors as well. So the bottom line is, while the MSRP may be less for SODO than the Lancero, the final cost isn't. Hence the reason everyone is saying it is more expensive. Couple that with the fact it is an inch and a half shorter and the same blend, this cigar is not that desirable for many.

This thread has been a train wreck since the first post.....

tandblov

Just Another Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I compare bottom line, cost to me, whether I am buying from a B&M or online. Living in CA, everything I buy is online or out of state. Either way I can get a box of El Tri for less than the SODO, and that was really my point. Same ciagr minus an inch or so for more. Less than exciting for my money.
I understand that pressure, and I commiserate. However, like I said, that's your choice, but not reflected in the overall price of a cigar. To ignore costs to retailers doesn't cover the actual price of a cigar. That is why I use MSRP. That benchmark at least allows for the issue of taxes to be considered. The MSRP is the same no matter what state you live in.

It sucks to live in a high tax state.

Sorry for the threadjack...

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
tandblov-- this is basically what I was getting at in that other thread. Although "those" cigars might differ in quality and such, in the case of fairly newly-boxed NCs, I think it's fair to say that in many if not most cases, you're getting the EXACT same product when purchasing from a reputable online source than from a B&M.

For those for whom price is a major factor--and those like myself who have no B&M--this is a good thing.

If you can't make money doing it how your doing it, you're doing it wrong. I have sympathy for B&Ms that aren't making it, but I can't help them. They need to adapt or die, it's just reality. Cigars cost what they cost, if it costs person A more to sell those cigars than person B, person A will soon be out of buisness if they can't figure out a way to get people to buy their cigars anyway. Special release, like those from Tatuaje, are one of those ways.

tandblov

Just Another Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tandblov-- this is basically what I was getting at in that other thread. Although "those" cigars might differ in quality and such, in the case of fairly newly-boxed NCs, I think it's fair to say that in many if not most cases, you're getting the EXACT same product when purchasing from a reputable online source than from a B&M.

For those for whom price is a major factor--and those like myself who have no B&M--this is a good thing.

If you can't make money doing it how your doing it, you're doing it wrong. I have sympathy for B&Ms that aren't making it, but I can't help them. They need to adapt or die, it's just reality. Cigars cost what they cost, if it costs person A more to sell those cigars than person B, person A will soon be out of buisness if they can't figure out a way to get people to buy their cigars anyway. Special release, like those from Tatuaje, are one of those ways.
Fair enough,

My point was not to engage in some argument, but rather to point out there are different pressures on different retail operations and associated costs and prices.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
very true, and they can't win a price war, as you pointed out. So most B&Ms will have to close in the next couple years unless they can appeal to customers in other ways.

Exclusive cigars will help, at least short-term, but they need a new buisness model. imvho, B&Ms should focus on the community aspects by hosting events, tastings, etc. If possible, even have a full cigar lounge at their shop (Taboo in TX just moved to a new location to accomplish this).

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Fair enough,

My point was not to engage in some argument, but rather to point out there are different pressures on different retail operations and associated costs and prices.

Another thing, I am sure many more of us, myself included, would pay that price for the same size cigar if it was a different blend, wrapper, whatever but not for a shortened El T.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Another thing, I am sure many more of us, myself included, would pay that price for the same size cigar if it was a different blend, wrapper, whatever but not for a shortened El T.
I understand why people complain about the price compared to the El T lancero IF it's the same cigar. But does anyone know for a fact that there have been recent releases of the El T Lancero with the newer batches of the broadleaf wrapper that is on the SODO? The SODO tastes a lot different than the original Lancero because Pete used the latest crops of broadleaf and I think the SODO tastes much better. I have yet to hear someone say they know that there have been recent releases of the El T Lancero with the new broadleaf. I for one would like to try the latest batch of the Lancero to compare the two.

Just wondering :dunno:

tandblov

Just Another Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in that regard, they taste VERY different from the OR ELT. I didn't like the ORELTL, I really like the SODO.

I can speculate as to why that is, perhaps the different years crop of wrapper, perhaps the size. But, to my palate, and to many others, they taste different than the ORELT. To me, its like the difference in tastes between a Cohiba CE and Lancero (not saying they taste the same as the SODO, just that there is a difference in flavor between lengths), or between crop years and the variations in tobacco qualities due to the variations in years.

But, as always, taste is subjective...

Last edited:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I understand why people complain about the price compared to the El T lancero IF it's the same cigar. But does anyone know for a fact that there have been recent releases of the El T Lancero with the newer batches of the broadleaf wrapper that is on the SODO? The SODO tastes a lot different than the original Lancero because Pete used the latest crops of broadleaf and I think the SODO tastes much better. I have yet to hear someone say they know that there have been recent releases of the El T Lancero with the new broadleaf. I for one would like to try the latest batch of the Lancero to compare the two.

Just wondering :dunno:

See now you have me wondering. Send me one and I'll tell you......:hysterica

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
OK, "dude",

BTW, "dude" is regular vocab where I am from

The SODO can only be purchased in one store in CA right? So the price should be compared to EL T's in the same geographic location. If they are the same then the SODO is not more expensive.

If the SODO was available in other locations then you could offer a good comparison elsewhere but until then you cannot compare prices from other online / out of state vendors.

Just my two cents.....

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
The SODO can only be purchased in one store in CA right? So the price should be compared to EL T's in the same geographic location. If they are the same then the SODO is not more expensive.

If the SODO was available in other locations then you could offer a good comparison elsewhere but until then you cannot compare prices from other online / out of state vendors.

Just my two cents.....
Did you try it yet Eric?