What's new

Thank You, We Could Use Some Prayers and Positivity

nc_6789

Nick
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Question for you gentlemen - did any of your wives have a c-section? If so, did any of your kids experience choking/gagging due to the mucous not pushed out during birth? Our doc says it's completely normal for c-section babies but it scares the shut out of us. Just curious if anyone has any experience with this and what your doctors told you. I've googled and found a lot but it's easier when speaking to someone "real" about the situation. Thanks guys!!

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Question for you gentlemen - did any of your wives have a c-section? If so, did any of your kids experience choking/gagging due to the mucous not pushed out during birth? Our doc says it's completely normal for c-section babies but it scares the shut out of us. Just curious if anyone has any experience with this and what your doctors told you. I've googled and found a lot but it's easier when speaking to someone "real" about the situation. Thanks guys!!
Yes, my wife has had 3 C sections and two of the kids had issues like that. It's quite common as the fluid doesn't get squeezed out of their lungs. For the first few weeks I slept in the chair slightly reclined with the kid sleeping on my chest, that seemed to help things until they could get everything up. Keeping them upright or mostly upright seemed to help with our kids.

nc_6789

Nick
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Yes, my wife has had 3 C sections and two of the kids had issues like that. It's quite common as the fluid doesn't get squeezed out of their lungs. For the first few weeks I slept in the chair slightly reclined with the kid sleeping on my chest, that seemed to help things until they could get everything up. Keeping them upright or mostly upright seemed to help with our kids.
Thanks for the quick feedback, that's what we've been trying to do, I just hope it stops soon - we're just worried that she could actually stop breathing or legit choke on it when it happens ughhh

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
That was our concern as well, that's why I moved the the chair with them at night. When they are gagging you can try to suction their mouth out with one of the bulb syringes, that can sometimes help. If I remember correctly it was all better by around two weeks

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From my first aid training when I was a police officer.
If she's having issues expelling, put her head down and tap her mid back moving the tapping up between her shoulders blades until she clears. I doubt you have to do that but it works.
I did that with my little ones when they had upper respiratory problems as babies.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
From my first aid training when I was a police officer.
If she's having issues expelling, put her head down and tap her mid back moving the tapping up between her shoulders blades until she clears. I doubt you have to do that but it works.
I did that with my little ones when they had upper respiratory problems as babies.
Now if I'm not mistaken that's the baby version of the heimlich maneuver. And you use the "heel" (palm) of your hand and pat their backs firmly.

Pretty sure you only should do this if there's an object or something stuck in the babies throat though.

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Now if I'm not mistaken that's the baby version of the heimlich maneuver. And you use the "heel" (palm) of your hand and pat their backs firmly.

Pretty sure you only should do this if there's an object or something stuck in the babies throat though.

From WebMd:
Gentle taps on your baby's back can help ease chest congestion. Lay him down across your knees and gently pat his back with your cupped hand. Or do it while he sits on your lap with his body leading forward about 30 degrees. It loosens mucus in the chest and makes it easier for him to cough it up.

Also suggested by our pediatrician when our son was badly congested. Only slightly head down was the doc suggestion.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A cigar forum is a great place to learn about seegars and probably isn't the best place to seek medical advice. Ask your doctor, not a bunch of opinionated cigar geeks. That include my advice. Ignore it. :)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
From WebMd:
Gentle taps on your baby's back can help ease chest congestion. Lay him down across your knees and gently pat his back with your cupped hand. Or do it while he sits on your lap with his body leading forward about 30 degrees. It loosens mucus in the chest and makes it easier for him to cough it up.

Also suggested by our pediatrician when our son was badly congested. Only slightly head down was the doc suggestion.
Interesting. I don't have any kids (yet) but this is good to know. The nursing instincts kicked in when you posted it. But in the medical field, everyday is a learning experience.