What's new

Thanksgiving 2018

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was hooked at "Gumbo ":hungry::hungry::hungry:
Yea the only problem is I made it too early. Wife brought some to work yesterday for lunch and I noticed that this morning three of the four quarts I had in the freezer are now missing. She mentioned something about lunch for the office. I guess I should just be happy that a bunch of people in South Louisiana think I make pretty good gumbo.

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Yea the only problem is I made it too early. Wife brought some to work yesterday for lunch and I noticed that this morning three of the four quarts I had in the freezer are now missing. She mentioned something about lunch for the office. I guess I should just be happy that a bunch of people in South Louisiana think I make pretty good gumbo.
I love me some soup/stew and make a different type in large batches every couple weeks. I tried a gumbo once and didn’t get it quite right and have not gone back to try again. The bottle of file powder in my spice cab has been talking to me recently. Any pro tips?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Decide what kind of gumbo you want. Are you going to go with a roux base or thicken the gumbo with file' powder later. It doesn't have to be fancy, it's a poor man's food. Tell me what you have in your freezer and I may be able to help out! It takes me two days to make a pot of gumbo by the time I parboil the chicken, debone the chicken, make the chicken stock, sauté the vegetables and sausage and make the shrimp stock on the first day and then cook on very slow heat the next.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Decide what kind of gumbo you want. Are you going to go with a roux base or thicken the gumbo with file' powder later. It doesn't have to be fancy, it's a poor man's food. Tell me what you have in your freezer and I may be able to help out! It takes me two days to make a pot of gumbo by the time I parboil the chicken, debone the chicken, make the chicken stock, sauté the vegetables and sausage and make the shrimp stock on the first day and then cook on very slow heat the next.
Is the shrimp stock a must or can it be substituted? It sounds delicious, but unfortunately for a few weeks after I eat shrimp I look like I rolled naked in a field of poison ivy.

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I have chicken stock already made. I also have various chicken parts, ham, smoked sausage, fishes, and shrimp in the freezer. I would have to go shopping anyways so can grab okra and anything else needed.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Like I said, poor man's food. I like to clean out my freezer and fridge when I make it. If you have a seafood allergy stay away from it. The key is to always add flavor. Never add water, add stock. Never add raw onions, celery and bell pepper always brown it first. Pepper is not a big thing.

Juice, I'm not a fan of okra in gumbo but if you are making a roux based chicken and sausage gumbo okra fits in nicely. I'd hold the fish.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
@havana1 put a drip pan down...first one I did, my kids declared that was the only way they would eat Thanksgiving turkey. My wife made a seperate turkey inside for the first 6 years because she wanted gravy...well 2 years ago I went with a drip pan and we had both smoked gravy and non smoked...no one ate the nonsmoked turkey OR gravy.

It will be a smashing hit.
You have my attention, brother. I'm gonna look up some recipe's and see what I come up with. The very first time I fired up my smoker I put ribs, butt and a whole chicken. The chicken turned out to have rubbery skin so never went back to birds. I've read about different temps, and recipes.
How do you get yours to have "bite thru" skin?"

Pennywise827

Hot Ketchup
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
You have my attention, brother. I'm gonna look up some recipe's and see what I come up with. The very first time I fired up my smoker I put ribs, butt and a whole chicken. The chicken turned out to have rubbery skin so never went back to birds. I've read about different temps, and recipes.
How do you get yours to have "bite thru" skin?"
Well I do a couple things...but on Turkey skin isnt as important. I cut up a stick or two of butter and put them between the skin and the flesh...also I bast the bird in olive oil the whole cook.

USE A DAMNED THERMOMETER! Dont cook that bird past 165.

Make sure you soak it in your brine for 24 hours. You can that it that way too...its submerged in the water, so no biggie.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yea, chicken really is a different kind of animal when it comes to smoking. I've never been able to do a good chicken when smoking any other meat. It's almost easier to put it in the smoke for an hour and then move it to the oven if you're doing butts and ribs. Chuck roast and meat loaf are also good in the smoker!

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh and most people smoke their poultry too low a temp. 275 should be the very lowest you go. Honestly between 275 and 325 is good. That also helps crispen the skin.
This^^ not only does it produce a better eat, but if you smoke a whole chicken at ribs/butts temps you have a serious food safety risk of the meat staying in the temp danger zone way way to long.

Yea, chicken really is a different kind of animal when it comes to smoking. I've never been able to do a good chicken when smoking any other meat. It's almost easier to put it in the smoke for an hour and then move it to the oven if you're doing butts and ribs. Chuck roast and meat loaf are also good in the smoker!
Oven finish is a sound option usually!

Lunchbox

Gettin back into the game
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have chicken stock already made. I also have various chicken parts, ham, smoked sausage, fishes, and shrimp in the freezer. I would have to go shopping anyways so can grab okra and anything else needed.
Legit.

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
How could you post that in front of @Juice...You monster.

I bet it's a smoke free house too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No worries, I wouldn’t would to spread the misery. I wouldn’t survive the day if I hung on the porch and smoked with my pops while my wife dealt the the craziness inside. It’s nice to dream though....