What's new

The Beginners Scotch

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
The usual answers are Glenlivet 12, Glenfiddich 12, Glenmorangie Original... For me, Highland Park 12 and Old Pulteney 12 are my favorite really accessible, "beginner" Scotches that actually have enough going on to still be really interesting even to the most jaded drinker.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Highland Park 12. It's a strait highland scotch, so no sherry finish or big blast of peat or smoke. Good starting point and still one of the ones I enjoy the most.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Highland Park 12. It's a strait highland scotch, so no sherry finish or big blast of peat or smoke. Good starting point and still one of the ones I enjoy the most.
HP does Peat their whisky though, just not like on some of the other islands. Also, they do use Sherry casks, they just don't take as much sherry as, say, the Macallan.

onibakushinka

Still Learning
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
A mainstream one, maybe Johnnie Walker Gold seems to be a pick for alot of people I know

Glenlivet 18 is one I like.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Glenlivet 12 or Glenmorangie Original would be my suggestions for an approachable, fun, youthful scotch that'll pair well with anything mild-full. If you like it, awesome, then you can start enjoying the slippery slope of diving off into darker, more unusual or creative scotches with darker, spicer, maduro, Oscuro or otherwise sticks.