What's new

The Cigar(s) that Hooked You

Ben Murphy

scouse stogie lover
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great discussion point......new to BOTL

After a holiday to berlin I started to take an interest after staying in the savoy hotel that had a fantastic cigar bar and walk in humidor.

After getting home and messing about with what I could buy as cheapest I splashed out on an el rey del mundo choix supreme.....an absolute pleasure and a wow moment that got me truly hooked and more inclined to learn about the craft and beauty of cigars and their maintainance

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFuente family years ago. Ashton's specifically...so much our Keesond was named Ashton...damn I miss that boy.

Didn't really smoke once my son was born on 03, almost died in 2012 and got back into cigars. Stumbled upon a DE event at my local B&M a year ago Christmas shopping just looking to have a smoke and read a book. I had a Nica Rustica and instantly became a card carrying fanboi of anything DE that night. Best low budget smoke I've found this far for my liking.

T

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My dad used to share a cigar with me occasionally but it was just to spend some time together, I didn't love them. Then on my honeymoon I had a few RyJ 1875. Got home, didn't really search out cigars, but I went on a business trip a few months later and found myself in Cordova Cigars in Pensacola, FL. The guy in the store was really helpful and pointed me to a Tatuaje brown label, and I tripped and fell into the rabbit hole.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had smoked a few RYJ over the past few years and they were just a celebratory stepping stone marker. Nothing I could really remember because I wasn't that interested. Went out with a brother about 9 or 10 months ago and tried a couple cigars that also weren't memorable themselves, but I became more interested. Fast forward to summer and I had a My Father I liked, I tried some Acids and was completely taken to infused cigars, which I've completely moved past on my never ending quest to try as many different cigars as I can afford to try ahaha. The Acid's and the DE Java really are what got me started though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not knowing much about cigars I was gravitated towards Cohiba obviously for the name.

But I was hooked with the Siglo II

jonnylieberman

Ask Me About Outrage
Rating - 97.5%
53   1   0
Great discussion point......new to BOTL

After a holiday to berlin I started to take an interest after staying in the savoy hotel that had a fantastic cigar bar and walk in humidor.

After getting home and messing about with what I could buy as cheapest I splashed out on an el rey del mundo choix supreme.....an absolute pleasure and a wow moment that got me truly hooked and more inclined to learn about the craft and beauty of cigars and their maintainance
You know, I really like El Rays. Great point.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Liga Privada No. 9, last fall. I had smoked some others, mostly DE cigars (Acids, Naturals, etc.), on and off for about 9-10 years. But that one flipped the switch for me and I immediately went to the nearest shop to get some more "enlightenment".

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
For me it was a Royal Jamaican.

Spent a day in downtown Columbus ohio tripping out on acid. Found an upscale cigar shop in the business district and must have made about 10 trips into that place that day. Loved every cigar I smoked (imagine that) but the one that I could remember was a Royal Jamaican. Haven't looked back since. Ended up getting a job in a nearby cigar shop, mostly just so I could work for cigars. I probably made a net profit of $0.42 during that year working there. But the cigar shop sabbatical really opened my eyes and I got to try tons of cigars...like 5 a day. Maybe that's why I got the tar lung now. Dunno?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the Original La Gloria Cubana Series R maduro that got me hooked. Unfortunately since the buy out they are not as good =(

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LGC Serie R #4 Maduro. After smoking a ton of mild cigars over the years I was in a humidor in Myrtle Beach with a buddy who smoked cigars regularly and he described all the differences in tobacco and went on about flavor profiles, etc. It was a bit of a "wow" moment that had me hooked on Cigars.
Thats the one!!

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Mine were Puros Indios&Macanudo. Can't recall the sizes though.
The smoke shop was located in a shopping mall. Just walking by and went in.That's how this all started.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I wish I kept track of all the sticks I stole from my dad growing up. I am not sure if it was one of those first cigars or just watching him that hooked me. Strangely enough its amazing how a taste or smell can transport you back, the other day I smoked a PDR 1878 cubano especial capa maduro (gd thats a long name) and immediately was brought back to the first cigar I ever tasted as a kid. I have no idea what that first cigar was but I immediately knew that taste and smell, I just wish I could go back and find out what that first one was.

That being said as an adult you can lump me in with the other tat whores, the first brown label I had blew me away. from that day on I cannot remember a time I did not have these in my humidor in one form or another haha.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I got started with a humidor and 20 cigar sampler. Out of those liked the H Upman legacy the best, but the first cigar I really loved was an Undercrown Robo. Close second was a Headley Grange. At the time I knew nothing of Crowned heads. Just tried out cuz my buddy's last name is Headley whom I introduced the cigar to.